Mercedes 30-year anti-corrosion warranty

Comments

• custardy wrote: »
    reread my reply,you can get the pantwork inspection done by a dealer.
    however you do not need to use a dealer for servicing intervals.
    i'll try and dig up the info but i have a mate who is a dealer tech
    i cant remember the exact legislation/wording but it was down to anti monoploy rulings on servicing

edit:
    http://driving.timesonline.co.uk/tol/life_and_style/driving/features/article3416183.ece

No you don't need to use a dealer for servicing, but your chances of getting Mercedes to pay in full for any corrosion repairs if you have not had your vehicle serviced by a dealer are very low indeed, practically nil in fact. I drive one, and am a member of several MB forums, the topic is up for regular discussion.
  • moonrakerz
    moonrakerz Posts: 8,650
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    I used to work in the Mercedes HQ (not for the car Co!). We were always getting misdirected calls from irate customers - nearly always complaining about work not being accepted under warranty.

After that I would never have bought a Merc !
  • philhuff
    philhuff Posts: 290
    First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Forumite
    moonrakerz wrote: »
    I used to work in the Mercedes HQ (not for the car Co!). We were always getting misdirected calls from irate customers - nearly always complaining about work not being accepted under warranty.

After that I would never have bought a Merc !

You'd get the same with any manufacturer, so don't hold it against Mercedes.

To the OP, I had a similar problem on a SAAB, and the dealer and I settled on a 50/50 split on the costs involved.
    MSE are supporting our journey from Staples2Naples for SPARKS. Join us.
  • moonrakerz
    moonrakerz Posts: 8,650
    Forumite
    philhuff wrote: »
    You'd get the same with any manufacturer, so don't hold it against Mercedes.

If you pay for a "quality" car, you expect quality service.

"Mercedes-Benz used to pride itself on being the world's best car maker, but unreliable models and dealers have marred its reputation."

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/motoring/main.jhtml?xml=/motoring/2006/04/01/mfmerc01.xml
  • anewman
    anewman Posts: 9,200
    Forumite

You could also say if you have enough money to buy a quality car, you're likely to have enough money to repair any faults on it.

*BUT* I do agree, a 30 year guarantee should mean if you come back 30 years after you bought the car, you should expect them to say "no worries sir, we'll do the repairs and get it back to you in a few days, and here's a courtesy car." But the guarantee is probably just a ruise to get you to buy a Merc and has terms and conditions meaning most owners can't possibly claim against it.
  • custardy
    custardy Posts: 38,365
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    the one that shocked me was the rusty s classes!!
    for such a high end model its horrendous.theres a 2000 s class sitting down by a local garge i deliver to.
    basically dead with rust too severe to make it a viable repair
  • philhuff
    philhuff Posts: 290
    First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Forumite

"Mercedes-Benz used to pride itself on being the world's best car maker, but unreliable models and dealers have marred its reputation."

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/motoring/main.jhtml?xml=/motoring/2006/04/01/mfmerc01.xml

I fully agree that Mercedes quality dropped significantly 10 years or so ago (although it has picked up again now). However, my point about warranty claims is still valid, it's just that the expectation of service is different at different levels.

To exaggerate wildly, and call on misplaced stereotypes, a Mercedes owner may complain about a rejected warranty claim on a bit of door trim that's worked loose. A Perodua owner may not have even bothered seeing the dealer about it in the first place.

Whatever the manufacturer, you'll always get people complaining about rejected warranty claims. Mercedes are no worse and no better than any other manufacturer.
    MSE are supporting our journey from Staples2Naples for SPARKS. Join us.
  • Shoshannah
    Shoshannah Posts: 667 Forumite
    I find this pretty horrific. A seven year old Merc rusting round the arches?!!

My car has just started to rot around the rear arches. But it's 16 years old. And a Ford (and we all know you can hear them rusting on quiet nights). Which makes Mercedes' 30 year warranty seem even more laughable.
  • On the other hand a Ford engine running to 400,000 miles would be the exception.

I see a lot of Mercedes taxis at airports. I don't see too many Fords.
  • anewman
    anewman Posts: 9,200
    Forumite
    The main difference is people think the sun shines out of Mercedes' exhaust, most old Fords end up on the scrapper. An expensive job like clutch and off to the scrap they go with a perfectly good engine etc. Thing is the car brands have different types of owners. I suspect with care some ford engines would see 400,000 miles. Then again, the old mercedes were actually made properly and built like a tank, so comparing a 16 year old ford and a 16 year old merc, there's no contest which I'd rather have. But I'd never touch a new merc.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure