Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • VfM4meplse
    • By VfM4meplse 10th May 17, 7:35 AM
    • 22,627Posts
    • 46,884Thanks
    VfM4meplse
    The Free Love thread: we're sharing the love for free
    • 10th May 17, 7:35 AM
    The Free Love thread: we're sharing the love for free 10th May 17 at 7:35 AM
    In praise of the generosity of others, I thought it would be worth sharing our free finds - stuff that has been given away by others through sheer generosity of spirit, e.g. through Freecycle, Olio, Facebook or other means. To be clear this is not about foraging and selling for a profit, it's about sharing our finds by that have been gifted without charge, purely for the chance to be loved by another. For one (wo)man's junk is another's treasure...

Whilst looking for a bookcase for myself online I came across the following being offered without charge just a couple of streets away:

It scrubbed up perfectly well in the bath, and takes pride of place amongst our toddler's toys as her "library". This a girl that says "Peppa Pig" the minute she wakes up in the morning

I'm not sure how well-used this thread is going to be, but if it encourages us to give our little-used stuff to a new and appreciative home then it's all to the good. It would be nice to know that in taking, us OSers are reciprocating in kind with a small act of kindness, but this is a matter for yourself and your conscience...

Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy ...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...If in doubt, don't pull out... I love chaz-ing!
Page 1
    • LameWolf
    • By LameWolf 10th May 17, 3:22 PM
    • 9,420 Posts
    • 101,847 Thanks
    LameWolf
    • 10th May 17, 3:22 PM
    • 10th May 17, 3:22 PM
    Lovely idea for a thread.

I was recently given a new-to-me cover for my Kindle. I have the old sort of Kindle that has no backlight, so you need a light on to read it.

Mr LW's pal, who we see every couple of weeks, a little while back upgraded to a Kindle Paperwhite, complete with backlight, and he turned up the day before my birthday with his now-redundant Kindle cover with an integral light that works off the Kindle battery: "It's sitting in a drawer doing nothing and I thought you might make use of it" he said. So I can now use that to read when I can't sleep at night, without having the bedroom light on and disturbing Mr LW.
    What a kind man!
    LameWolf
    If your dog thinks you're the best, don't seek a second opinion.
    • Gem-gem
    • By Gem-gem 10th May 17, 6:15 PM
    • 2,351 Posts
    • 6,744 Thanks
    Gem-gem
    • 10th May 17, 6:15 PM
    • 10th May 17, 6:15 PM
    Hi,
    My SIL grew six extra courgette plants, two for me, my mum and a friend. We received them all for free. We were all very appreciative. A very king lady.
    £2 Savers Club 2017 -no 1 target £360
    Save £12k in 2017 - no 68 ( 2502.13/6000)
    Virtual sealed pot 2017 - no 20 £33.24/£100
    • GreyQueen
    • By GreyQueen 10th May 17, 8:16 PM
    • 11,004 Posts
    • 212,017 Thanks
    GreyQueen
    • 10th May 17, 8:16 PM
    • 10th May 17, 8:16 PM
    Last Sunday a passer-by at our allotment site asked my neighbour if he could buy some rhubarb from him. Neighbour asked how many stalks he wanted (half a dozen) and then insisted he take them as a gift.

I felt all warm and fuzzy on the inside as I watched them passed over the fence - I don't grow rhubarb so couldn't have donated any stalks myself.
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)

• Callie22
    • By Callie22 10th May 17, 8:24 PM
    • 2,784 Posts
    • 7,621 Thanks
    Callie22
    • 10th May 17, 8:24 PM
    • 10th May 17, 8:24 PM
    On the other side of this I'm currently trying to find homes for rather a lot of tomato plants. People are starting to avoid me ...
    • GreyQueen
    • By GreyQueen 10th May 17, 8:37 PM
    • 11,004 Posts
    • 212,017 Thanks
    GreyQueen
    • 10th May 17, 8:37 PM
    • 10th May 17, 8:37 PM
    On the other side of this I'm currently trying to find homes for rather a lot of tomato plants. People are starting to avoid me ...
    Originally posted by Callie22
    Been there, done that. It gets even worse in peak courgette season...........
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)

• monnagran
    • By monnagran 10th May 17, 8:53 PM
    • 2,689 Posts
    • 33,875 Thanks
    monnagran
    • 10th May 17, 8:53 PM
    • 10th May 17, 8:53 PM
    Been there, done that. It gets even worse in peak courgette season...........
    Originally posted by GreyQueen
    Know what you mean. I don't have produce to give away but when I moved last time the local chazzers bolted their doors and flipped their CLOSED notices in the windows when they spotted me approaching with my bulging shopping trolley.
    I believe that friends are quiet angels
    Who lift us to our feet when our wings
    Have trouble remembering how to fly.
    • JackieO
    • By JackieO 11th May 17, 8:11 AM
    • 14,784 Posts
    • 119,197 Thanks
    JackieO
    • 11th May 17, 8:11 AM
    • 11th May 17, 8:11 AM
    My friend at U3A yesterday gave me a big box of biscuits for my DGS ,she has been diagnosed with diabetes and didn't want the temptation in her house she knows my DGS have hollow legs and said did I want them .I accepted and when I got to Dds house the boys demolished a good few very quickly. Top layer vanished within minutes

I am a great believer in if I can't use it then pass it on, and believe what goes round comes round
    Quot Libra,Quam Breve Tempus.
    • Wicked Lady
    • By Wicked Lady 11th May 17, 8:25 AM
    • 145 Posts
    • 1,744 Thanks
    Wicked Lady
    • 11th May 17, 8:25 AM
    • 11th May 17, 8:25 AM
    Last week we were gifted a chilli plant to grow on.

It was given to us by a friend who'd been to a Mexican restaurant and been given a book of what she thought were matches, but were in fact impregnated with chillies, with the thought that the customer kept one plant and gave the others to four friends.

At the moment it's still alive on the kitchen windowsill but we're not wonderful with plants!
    • VfM4meplse
    • By VfM4meplse 11th May 17, 10:50 AM
    • 22,627 Posts
    • 46,884 Thanks
    VfM4meplse
    Last week we were gifted a chilli plant to grow on.
    Originally posted by Wicked Lady
    I found one RTC at Sainsbury's a couple of years ago for 15p I think.

I also have form in killing chilli plants, so gifted it to my mum who placed in on her south facing kitchen windowsill. It has flourished since, both summer and winter time - it's fascinating watching the chillies bud and then go from green to red! The great thing about chillis is that even if you have no immediate use for the fresh ones, you can pick them off when ripe and leave them to dry out before storing, they're just as good.

A glut of courgettes, bring it on...! It's a lovely pizza topping with spinach, garlic, olive oil and chilli.

Hope is not a strategy ...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...If in doubt, don't pull out... I love chaz-ing!
    • worn out mum
    • By worn out mum 11th May 17, 1:09 PM
    • 45 Posts
    • 199 Thanks
    worn out mum
    I was very kindly given some eco friendly cleaning products from a friend who had recieved them as a freebie with her t!sco order and some school shorts from another friend for ds2, not sure if they will fit but if not they will again be passed on to someone else. Along with passing on bits and pieces we also help each other out with child herding/watching as needed rather than having to rely on the expensive out of school club
    • LameWolf
    • By LameWolf 11th May 17, 2:37 PM
    • 9,420 Posts
    • 101,847 Thanks
    LameWolf
    I am a great believer in if I can't use it then pass it on, and believe what goes round comes round
    Originally posted by JackieO
    I totally agree with you! Why leave it languishing in a drawer/shed/cupboard, when it can be out there doing somebody some good?

When my beloved Penny-Dog passed away, I gathered up the food and treats I had left and passed them to a chap who used to sell the Big Issue in town; he was a Pagan like myself, and always had his dog, Marmite, with him; and I often used to stop and chat with him. He was sorry to learn of Pen's demise, but pleased to take her stuff for Marmite to enjoy.
    LameWolf
    If your dog thinks you're the best, don't seek a second opinion.
    • YorksLass
    • By YorksLass 11th May 17, 6:44 PM
    • 168 Posts
    • 2,202 Thanks
    YorksLass
    Last Sunday a passer-by at our allotment site asked my neighbour if he could buy some rhubarb from him. Neighbour asked how many stalks he wanted (half a dozen) and then insisted he take them as a gift. I felt all warm and fuzzy on the inside as I watched them passed over the fence - I don't grow rhubarb so couldn't have donated any stalks myself.
    Originally posted by GreyQueen
    What a kind neighbour. I love rhubarb but, not having a garden, can't grow it - the sm forced stuff looks so insipid. I've tried it in pots but it doesn't work too well. I used to get mine from late DF's garden; his plant had begun life back in the 1920s in his mother's garden - every time they moved he took a clump with him! Happy memories.

I was very kindly given some eco friendly cleaning products from a friend who had recieved them as a freebie with her t!sco order
    Originally posted by worn out mum
    If I receive any freebies with my online order, the doggie ones go to my neighbour, baby ones to DDiL and car ones to DS.

VfM4meplse: Thanks for starting this lovely thread; it does indeed encourage us to find new homes for things that can be used and appreciated by others. Your LO's new-to-you bookcase is just fab.
    Be kind to others and to yourself too. Life has its ups and downs, use the ups to overcome the downs!

May GC: £160 - £149.63 = £10.37, NSDs 20/28 June GC: £200 - £198.63 = £1.37, NSDs 16/35
    • MMF007
    • By MMF007 11th May 17, 8:29 PM
    • 719 Posts
    • 17,654 Thanks
    MMF007
    As i was about to go into the supermarket yesterday a lady stopped me (she was on her way out), and asked if I was going to be spending £40 or more because she had a voucher to save £5 for min spend. How kind was that? Actually I was only going for 2 small things for an elderly neighbour so i turned down the voucher after thanking her so much for asking. Hopefully someone got thenuse of it.

I did have a memorable day a few weeks back when serendipity struck. I am a home help to several lovely ladies and as it happened one was getting rid of a wheelchair, one wanted a wheelchair, another was getting rid of 2 pillows and yes, someone wanted new pillows, and finally a pile of magazines was being set free so I took them to lady number kne, who is in a care home for them to all share. I felt pretty pleased that it had all worked out as i redistribued items round the village.
    I have changed my work-life balance to a life-work balance.
    • Doody
    • By Doody 11th May 17, 8:32 PM
    • 59 Posts
    • 125 Thanks
    Doody
    Indeed, a lovely idea for a thread. Our local freecycle group is thriving and I've received and given much via them.

Last week I was unable to make a planned trip to the other side of the country so put my tickets on freecycle. To my delight they were taken by someone who had been very helpful to me when I had bought some things off her via ebay. Small world!

The year before last we were desperately hard up and my daughter needed a new winter coat. She had a lovely one from someone on the freecycle group, who later had a piece of my unwanted furniture. This really is a good way to interact with people.
    • Ginmonster
    • By Ginmonster 12th May 17, 10:32 AM
    • 208 Posts
    • 2,057 Thanks
    Ginmonster
    A lot of our friends had kids before us so we've been very lucky to receive lots of pre-loved toys for our boy along the way. I've now had the opportunity to pass on some baby toys to my brother-in-law and in his wife for their little one (much to my 4-year old's disgust even though he clearly doesn't play with them any more).
    We also gave our 'travel system' swanky pram (bought 2nd hand obviously) to a friend who was expecting when the boy got too big for it.
    We've loved it when people have given us really useful stuff for free so it's nice to pass that feeling on.
    • Florence J
    • By Florence J 14th May 17, 7:39 PM
    • 1,417 Posts
    • 7,812 Thanks
    Florence J
    What a lovely thread, and I have just had the benefit of this. I do the sealed pot change, and when I opened mine this week the sealed pot I had been using was no longer reuseable.

Luckily added today on OLIO was the exact same type of tin I had been using, so I am now the lucky recipient of it. It meant nothing to the person that listed it but was ideal for me, and save me the money that it would have cost to replace it.
    Sealed Pot Challenge 10 #553 (£90) Wombling free 2017 = £851.64 Pay off all your debts by Xmas 2017 #53 (£1854.41/£3000) Debt to OH paid back £601.75/£1001.75
    June 2017 Credit Card Debt: £4743.46
    • VfM4meplse
    • By VfM4meplse 20th May 17, 7:16 PM
    • 22,627 Posts
    • 46,884 Thanks
    VfM4meplse
    I took my recycling to the local depot - I don't like household bins even though there's a weekly collecction, they just get wet and fly about the place when windy, so I prefer to store it dry indoors) - I chanced upon a pile of books.

Most were textbooks that were of not interest, but I did come away with a whopper of a recipe book from a well-respected home cook (just googled it and it is selling new for a very ridiculous sum). Am looking forward to flipping through it for new ideas.

• VfM4meplse
    • By VfM4meplse 26th May 17, 8:59 AM
    • 22,627 Posts
    • 46,884 Thanks
    VfM4meplse
    I picked up a couple of textbooks on my pet subject recently via Freecycle.

I'm a happy bunny

• janb5
    • By janb5 26th May 17, 6:50 PM
    • 1,770 Posts
    • 6,333 Thanks
    janb5
    You`re really lucky as we`re not allowed to pick things up from the local recycling depot unlike the recent recycling programme where she finds wonderful things.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,841Posts Today

4,968Users online

Martin's Twitter