PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Looking After Leather Boots

Options
Hi all!

I bought some new leather boots that I have only worn twice in dry weather, and already I see that cracks are appearing on the leather at the point where the toes bend.

ixh6yb.jpg

30nb51h.jpg

I treated them with "Kiwi Extreme Protector" before the first wear, but I cannot understand why they are cracking already.

Could anyone please advise what I can do to prevent further cracks and drying out?

Many thanks!

Comments

• kboss2010
    kboss2010 Posts: 1,466 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    They'll be fine so long as you don't allow the leather to dry out. Regularly polish to keep the leather soft and they should remain water-tight.

I'm afraid I haven't yet found anything that will get rid of the wrinkles from where your feet bend them.
    “I want to be a glow worm, A glow worm's never glum'Coz how can you be grumpy, when the sun shines out your bum?" ~ Dr A. TappingI'm finding my way back to sanity again... but I don't really know what I'm gonna do when I get there~ LifehouseWhat’s fur ye will make go by ye… but also what’s not fur ye, ye can jist scroll on by!
  • VfM4meplse
    VfM4meplse Posts: 34,269 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    kboss2010 wrote: »
    They'll be fine so long as you don't allow the leather to dry out. Regularly polish to keep the leather soft and they should remain water-tight.
    A bit of Vaseline (or generic WSP) should do the trick.

I don't know if it's just the pics, but the material appears synthetic?
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
  • maddiemay
    maddiemay Posts: 4,986 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I pack the toes of all my shoes and boots with rolled up old socks, this smoothes out the creases somewhat when not being worn and as others have said keep them well fed with polish or shoe cream, not good that they are so creased after such a few wearings though.
    The best thing about the future is that it comes one day at a time. (Abraham Lincoln)
  • Slowly57
    Slowly57 Posts: 353 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Wondering if your boots have some kind of coating on them (which would crack on top of the natural crease?). I know you CAN get leather with such a coating - I suppose the main thing is to use your protecter to stop dirt and moisture getting in - but if you're truly unhappy then take them back and get a refund.
    2022 | Back to the fold - need a Money Saving mojo reboot!

Grocery Challenge JAN 2022 £200/£185.00 left!
  • Dclutterchique
    Options
    Although the following article* is (mainly) about men's shoes it does explain why leather creases http://www.theshoesnobblog.com/2013/10/mythbuster-part-1-leather-creasing-means-something-is-wrong.html

I think of creases on leather like wrinkles on skin in that they can be slight or deep, cheerful or sad old boot(face), cared for or uncared for (with shoe polish or face cream). So do what everybody else says, accept the existing creases aren't going away, but use shoe cream or polish to look after the leather and stuff with socks, tissue paper or boot trees (if really posh) when not wearing them to minimise the creases and enjoy your boots.

*NB don't look at the prices of their shoes it you don't want to have a heart attack, and if you do, don't say I didn't warn you!
  • Slowly57
    Slowly57 Posts: 353 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    *NB don't look at the prices of their shoes it you don't want to have a heart attack, and if you do, don't say I didn't warn you!

Dclutterchique - they all end up on eBay/in charity shops - which is where my ever-so-poshly-shod OH has his from :rotfl:
    2022 | Back to the fold - need a Money Saving mojo reboot!

Grocery Challenge JAN 2022 £200/£185.00 left!
  • Nomoonatall
    Nomoonatall Posts: 1,173 Forumite
    Options
    VfM4meplse wrote: »
    A bit of Vaseline (or generic WSP) should do the trick.

I don't know if it's just the pics, but the material appears synthetic?

This! Vaseline should work! Or get some clear Dubbin.
  • Dclutterchique
    Options
    Slowly57 wrote: »
    Dclutterchique - they all end up on eBay/in charity shops - which is where my ever-so-poshly-shod OH has his from :rotfl:
    So your OH is a smart man, in both senses of the phrase. :cool:
  • m00c0w04
    m00c0w04 Posts: 55 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Many thanks for the advice everyone! They were pretty cheap boots at £30 in the ASOS sale, but yeah it's not ideal that they have creased so soon!

I'll give your tips a try :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport