Soccersixes football

2»

Comments

• Malthusian
    Malthusian Posts: 10,931 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    You can enter a contract at age 16 but until you are 18 you are allowed to void a contract at any time (with certain exceptions, of which this isn't one).

So you owe them nothing.

Next time think before you join a league as it is completely unfair on the organisers and other teams to pull out because you couldn't be bothered to see it through. Presumably one team each week doesn't get to play now because they should have been facing your team. If you'd been over 18 few people would have had any sympathy and you would have been told to cough up.
  • unholyangel
    unholyangel Posts: 16,863 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Malthusian wrote: »
    You can enter a contract at age 16 but until you are 18 you are allowed to void a contract at any time (with certain exceptions, of which this isn't one).

So you owe them nothing.

Next time think before you join a league as it is completely unfair on the organisers and other teams to pull out because you couldn't be bothered to see it through. Presumably one team each week doesn't get to play now because they should have been facing your team. If you'd been over 18 few people would have had any sympathy and you would have been told to cough up.

Which ironically is exactly why contracts with minors aren't generally enforceable against them - they lack capacity because they don't have any awareness of things like that.

But the day you turn 18, a switch is flipped and you magically become a responsible adult. :D
    You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means - Inigo Montoya, The Princess Bride
  • unholyangel
    KieranJ27 wrote: »
    So it could potentially go to guardians etc?

No - not unless they signed as a guarantor (basically saying that they agree to be held liable/indemnify the company in event of the minor reneging.

Even without the minor aspect, its possible you might have had rights to cancel anyway. I say possible because there is an exemption from the right to cancel for leisure services to be carried out on a specific date/within a specific period of performance but I'm not entirely convinced a league membership would satisfy the specific date/period of performance part.
    You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means - Inigo Montoya, The Princess Bride
  • Which ironically is exactly why contracts with minors aren't generally enforceable against them - they lack capacity because they don't have any awareness of things like that.

But the day you turn 18, a switch is flipped and you magically become a responsible adult. :D

Yet 16 & 17 year olds were kicking off about not being allowed to vote
  • unholyangel
    Yet 16 & 17 year olds were kicking off about not being allowed to vote

Up here we let them get married and have kids. But not enter into a contract for a phone line etc - because apparently THAT is too much responsibility.
  • daytona0
    daytona0 Posts: 2,358 Forumite
    Sitting here after a game of footie haha..

There's always a team like you in every single league! Play once or twice then vanish! I mean it is nice taking 3 points from the game, but 6 lads kicking a ball around on a 6 a side pitch for 30 mins gets boring after a while :p

The only advice I can give to you, beyond the legal stuff given, is try and join an established team if you are motivated to play (and your teammates are flaking each week). Managing a team at 22 or 24 or 30 or 40 or 50 etc is hard sometimes, let alone at 16!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure