Reduced fee for membership, but says 'DISABLED' on membership card.

2»

Comments

• mrcol1000
    mrcol1000 Posts: 4,788 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    This really is silly. You are happy to get a reduced price because you are disabled, but are having a tantrum because it says disabled on the card? As others have said, disability is nothing to be ashamed about. Also not all of us have the luxury of being able to hide the fact they are disabled. The fact I am seated all the time with big wheels attached sort of gives it away rather than having a card with disabled on.
  • I don't think having a preference and expressing it is having a tantrum. If you're obviously disabled and someone sees you with a card saying 'Disabled' they're not likely to challenge you to justify your entitlement in the same way as if your disability is hidden. There are some people who feel entitled to ask about your entire medical history if you don't look disabled. I'm not confident and feel uncomfortable when this happens. Other people may not be bothered in the same way but that doesn't mean that it is 'silly' that I am.

This really isn't about being ashamed about my disability, it's about preferring to keep my personal circumstances private. I was a mature student for a few years but I didn't tell many people. I didn't want questions about how I'd done in my exams and I didn't want to feel any extra pressure as I wasn't sure I'd be able to complete the course. I wouldn't have wanted a card with 'Student' written on it at that time any more than I want a card with 'Disabled' written on it now.
  • Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,013 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    If directly asking head office if it's really only possible to issue your card with 'disabled' flagged up on it, I'd probably join, and then work from within to get that changed.

It may genuinely never have occurred to anyone that having the different categories on the membership cards would be an issue.
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • I wouldn't be delighted about having disabled scrawled across my card either - not because I'm ashamed or embarrassed about my disability, but because it takes away my choice to share that personal information with others.

I'm visually impaired so unless I'm having a bad day & am using my cane, it isn't obvious I have a disability. I'm also young'ish (47, that's still young, right) & I do get challenged sometimes when I use my bus pass or my local cinema card by people wanting to know what is "wrong" with me.

I try & be polite, but there are times when I don't want to be (when I get grief for sitting in the disabled seats on the train etc. ) & all I want to say is it's nowt to do with them.

I'd ask about card redesign too - was asked to fill in a consent form last week for an eye procedure at hospital. They didn't have anything in large print & seemed surprised when I mentioned it. So people don't always join those dots even when it's obvious.

Hope you join & enjoy your time there.
    And I find that looking back at you gives a better view, a better view...
  • 50Twuncle
    50Twuncle Posts: 10,763 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    I agree that once a member - it doesn't make any difference whether you are disabled or not - so why do they differentiate ?
  • DomRavioli
    DomRavioli Posts: 3,136 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    I wouldn't be delighted about having disabled scrawled across my card either - not because I'm ashamed or embarrassed about my disability, but because it takes away my choice to share that personal information with others.

I'm visually impaired so unless I'm having a bad day & am using my cane, it isn't obvious I have a disability. I'm also young'ish (47, that's still young, right) & I do get challenged sometimes when I use my bus pass or my local cinema card by people wanting to know what is "wrong" with me.

I try & be polite, but there are times when I don't want to be (when I get grief for sitting in the disabled seats on the train etc. ) & all I want to say is it's nowt to do with them.

I'd ask about card redesign too - was asked to fill in a consent form last week for an eye procedure at hospital. They didn't have anything in large print & seemed surprised when I mentioned it. So people don't always join those dots even when it's obvious.

Hope you join & enjoy your time there.

I'm VI as well (and young at 31!) - acquired at 27. Nice to know I'm not alone.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure