ISP Censorship

Comments

• EdwardB
    EdwardB Posts: 462 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Thanks for bringing this to our attention.

When I see judgements like this I feel the Court is being used a bit like a Corporate Police Force, OK they do not have uniformed officers but we have seen it elsewhere. HCEO's and TVL Crapita as examples.

I guess when we saw TV becomes a main business of the ISP's it was inevitable that they would block things that cost them money.

What concerns me is that at first it applies to these big providers but soon after it will be followed by a court order for all ISP's to block. Right now it is temporary because they are not sure how effective it will be or the impact.

I do not use Kodi but I see it as a "market" that has been created by the greed of the TV companies.
    What I see happening is that technology will be developed over and above VPN's to get around this.

It IS a slippery slope, what next, blocking on the fly a user who has a torrent?

I can definitely see it used to abuse freedom.

We know that when we had the riots they were using certain message channels of blackberry, it is a small step for authorities to block access to similar lines of communication at times when it suits the Gov e.g. around the time of elections, to close down the noise of dissent.
    Please be nice to all MoneySavers. That’s the forum motto. Remember, the prime aim is to help provide info and resources. If you don’t like someone, their situation, their question or feel they’re intruding on ‘your board’ then please bite the bullet and think of the bigger issue. :cool::)
  • AndyPix
    AndyPix Posts: 4,847 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Gillor wrote: »
    Exactly, but any ideas on how to get a VPN onto an Amazon Fire TV stick.

https://seo-michael.co.uk/how-to-install-vpn-on-a-firestick-ipvanish-vpn/

;)
  • kwikbreaks
    kwikbreaks Posts: 9,187 Forumite
    S0litaire wrote: »
    VPN
    Problem solved... :rotfl:
    :j
    :beer:
    This was my immediate thought. Especially as we get regular questions here about which is the best VPN to use with Kodi.

IMO it's yet another example of greed from the football moguls. I have no interest whatsoever in football but I dearly hope that those who do and who can't afford the pay the ridiculous attendance fees or the still not cheap TV subscriptions or sup lager in the local all night can continue to watch the pirate versions. Perhaps if footballers didn't earn more a week than some poor devils do in a lifetime and their bosses doubtless more this wouldn't be an issue.
  • EdwardB
    VPN's have been blocked by BBC using a combination of reverse DNS coming up blank and of people placing cookies there before they turned on the VPN.

There have also been some IP6 leaks so although said to be patched I turned that off as I do not use it.

I was avoiding making a connection with VPN company software, instead creating connections in the same way they do in Linux with a network config.

Having said that, I have a lifetime VPN but not really using it as browser based VPN's are working for me at the moment.

It is GREED, I do not watch football or any live TV but I think it is a slippery slope when they find ways to block one thing it is not so far away for them to block at will.
    Please be nice to all MoneySavers. That’s the forum motto. Remember, the prime aim is to help provide info and resources. If you don’t like someone, their situation, their question or feel they’re intruding on ‘your board’ then please bite the bullet and think of the bigger issue. :cool::)
  • Gillor
    Gillor Posts: 794 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    AndyPix wrote: »

Thanks Andy - good article but unfortunately it looks like I have a 1st gen Firestick and this only works on 2nd gen models.
  • AndyPix
    Gillor wrote: »
    Thanks Andy - good article but unfortunately it looks like I have a 1st gen Firestick and this only works on 2nd gen models.

VPN at router level then , although it will most likely mean you buying a new router ..
    https://www.howtogeek.com/221889/connect-your-home-router-to-a-vpn-to-bypass-censorship-filtering-and-more/

Note : for the time being, this is only going to affect the live streams that pop up just before the matches start .. Not the streamable content that is sitting on servers everywhere ..

They would REALLY struggle to block the other content, its like whack-a-mole
    example, as soon as they shut down putlocker.ch , putlocker.me pops up 10 minutes later.
    To block this stuff they would need to actually make Kodi not be able to install 3rd party add-ons (the scrapers that they use) .. And that would pretty much kill Kodi stone dead
  • kwikbreaks
    kwikbreaks Posts: 9,187 Forumite
    AndyPix wrote: »
    And that would pretty much kill Kodi stone dead
    Apart from all the old versions that still worked that would appear as downloads within a heatbeat of that happening.

Circumvention of payment for copyright material is now so ingrained I really can't see it ever going away.
  • EdwardB
    I saw this way that explains how to do it using OpenVPN at the router, seems to be based on the chipset your router uses, if you want to get their VPN I have a link somewhere (referred by someone here) for $30 lifetime, not sure if any good.

KEEPSOLID wrote: »
    How to use VPN Unlimited

with your Amazon Fire TV Stick and Amazon Fire TV

In spite of the fact that neither Amazon Fire TV Stick, nor Amazon Fire TV does not have built-in VPN clients, you can still enjoy all the advantages of the VPN service while watching your favorite videos. For this purpose, you need to connect your device to a VPN-enabled router.
    Follow these easy steps to set up VPN Unlimited for your Amazon Fire TV Stick or Amazon Fire TV:
    1. Set up a VPN connection for your router.
    If you need help, please use these a step-by-step tutorials:
    Note: The VPN server location has to correspond to the regional Amazon content you want to access.
    2. Set up an Amazon account.
    Then, go to Your Account -> Manage Your Content and Devices -> Settings -> Country Settings.
    Click Change, and set your location depending on the content you want to access.
    Click Update to save the changes.
    3. Connect your Amazon Fire TV Stick or Amazon Fire TV to your router.
    On your Amazon Fire TV go to Settings -> System -> Network -> Choose your VPN-enabled router -> Connect
    Note: If you use Amazon Fire TV Stick, this step might be slightly different depending on the model of your Smart TV.
    That’s it! Your streaming device is connected to the VPN-enabled router. Now you can enjoy your favorite videos. Give it a try right away!

• Strider590
    Strider590 Posts: 11,874 Forumite
    It is NOT greed, or at least it is nothing to do with football greed.

I don't know why people can't see beyond what's in front of their noses!

Blaming football, blaming piracy, blaming !!!!!!, blaming !!!!!philes, blaming brexit, blaming Trump, it's all just a smoke screen.

When big controversial stories like this pop up, we have to take the attitude that they're trying to hide something, we have to look at what else might be going on and this case we need focus not on "I don't care, it won't affect me", but focus on what the wider implications actually are.
    “I may not agree with you, but I will defend to the death your right to make an a** of yourself.”

<><><><><><><><><<><><><><><><><><><><><><> Don't forget to like and subscribe \/ \/ \/
  • AndyPix
    ^^ Here here - Great post
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business