Transfer from DLA to PIP for older folks?

Options
I haven't looked at this lately but 2 years back I expected a letter saying I would be re-assessed for PIP as over 60.
No letter.
Now I'm only months from 65.

My question is have any people had to reapply very close to 65?
I like the thanks button, but ,please, an I agree button.

Will the grammar and spelling police respect I do make grammatical errors, and have carp spelling, no need to remind me.;)

Always expect the unexpected:eek:and then you won't be dissapointed

Comments

• 50Twuncle
    50Twuncle Posts: 10,763 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 19 May 2017 at 4:58PM
    Options
    I haven't looked at this lately but 2 years back I expected a letter saying I would be re-assessed for PIP as over 60.
    No letter.
    Now I'm only months from 65.

My question is have any people had to reapply very close to 65?
    I would say that it is up to DWP to contact you to give you any updates
    I am 53 and still waiting for the transfer to happen (I have not been told anything) - there are millions still waiting for anything
    So - Sit back, stop worrying and wait
    At age 65 - you will need to apply for attendance allowance in any case
    https://www.gov.uk/attendance-allowance
  • sleepless_saver
    sleepless_saver Posts: 2,741 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    50Twuncle wrote: »
    At age 65 - you will need to apply for attendance allowance in any case
    https://www.gov.uk/attendance-allowance

Not if you're already getting DLA or PIP when you hit 65.
  • Mrs_Ryan
    Mrs_Ryan Posts: 11,832 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    My mum is 67 and she's just been moved from DLA to PIP. She had a life award of HRC and HRM and she was moved fairly seamlessly to Enhanced Care and Mobility PIP although she was lucky.
    *The RK and FF fan club* #Family*Don’t Be Bitter- Glitter!* #LotsOfLove ‘Darling you’re my blood, you have my heartbeat’ Dad 20.02.20
  • Cyclamen
    Cyclamen Posts: 645 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    My Dads DLA to PIP letter came through about 6 months before his 65th Birthday. It all went smoothly.
  • 50Twuncle
    50Twuncle Posts: 10,763 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Make sure that if/when you do get your PIP. - that they backdate the difference in payments
    PIP rates are higher than DLA
  • pmlindyloo
    pmlindyloo Posts: 13,049 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    50Twuncle wrote: »
    Make sure that if/when you do get your PIP. - that they backdate the difference in payments
    PIP rates are higher than DLA

There is no backdating when transferring from DLA to PIP. Backdating is only for new claims.

In fact DLA remains in payment for about 3/4 weeks from decision date of PIP.

Winners and losers............
  • cyclonebri1
    cyclonebri1 Posts: 12,827 Forumite
    Options
    I get what you guys are saying, to be honest I think my award is correct. Not looking for more or fearing less.

At the back of my mind however is the snippet that if you have DLA at age 65 then you keep it from then on, well that is how it used to work but I admit, I am hopelessly out of touch.

Will the grammar and spelling police respect I do make grammatical errors, and have carp spelling, no need to remind me.;)

• Cyclamen
    Cyclamen Posts: 645 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Cyclone..

I am not certain but I think that the 'have it at 65 and keep it rule' has changed with PIP and they will reassess again as they see fit. I know with DLA they leave you in peace but dont think they do with PIP
  • C.C.L.
    C.C.L. Posts: 396 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I had my change over from DLA to PIP in January aged 67. I was on indefinate high rate for both components on DLA. I was awarded standard PIP for both until December 2020.
    I think the only ones who will maybe be left alone are the ones who have had an 'ongoing' award, but that can change as we are all aware.
    So in answer to your question cyclonebri1if you are awarded PIP than no you don't automatically keep it after 65.
  • cyclonebri1
    cyclonebri1 Posts: 12,827 Forumite
    Options
    Hi guys,
    I was just informed that if by 65 you weren't reassessed from DLA to PIP then that was it, you didn't get the letter again.

The paperwork clearly says they are dealing with those aged 63 to 65 and will do before my 65th birthday.

I'm worried no more than all of us do as more elderly folks, ie, as you get older you worry more and want the answers in front of you with no shocks,

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport