Problem with three mobile

Hi, I'm new to the forum, in fact I've only joined to see if I can get some info regarding this problem

I got a bill from three today, for £144, which included a £69 cancellation fee, so I called them to discuss

The history of this is that I canceled the direct debit in august last year, in order for them to send me a letter to chase up, as they never send me a statement or bill for it, and I had no idea how long was left on the contract (it was for an iPad, added to my original contract, for £35 per month) the last payment was on 2nd august.

I duly got a letter at the beginning of November, requesting payment of £105, which I paid on my card and can see on my bank statement.

Whilst on the phone, I asked him when the contract was up, and he said December, so I asked did this £105 include my final months payment and he said yes. So that was the end of it I thought.

Today, some 4 months later, I have got a bill for £144

When I told him about the card payment and previous telephone conversation, he said that payment isn't showing up on the account. And kept repeating that I need to pay the £144 to settle the account. After being transferred and going through the same conversation, I requested that they send me details of when the contact started, when it ended, and all payments I had made on the account.

He refused, without any reason, just refused

So I asked him to confirm to me in writing, that I had requested this information and they had refused, he said he wouldn't do that either.

I'm at a loss to know how to proceed, when they won't give me information, and won't even confirm that refusal and reason in writing

Can anyone shed any light on this, and advise me of my next step?

Thank you

Comments

• This is a regular problem with phone/SIM contracts. They continue to run until you either move to another provider by asking for a PAC and using it, or by giving them 30 days notice.

Contact the Executive Office if you don't get anywhere with the Three call centre. The email is executive.office@three.co.uk
  • Thank you, I'll ask again in writing and then send there if I have no joy, I'm absolutely disgusted by the attitude and lack of customer service, considering canceling my phone contract too, I'm furious
  • The E/O office respond promptly by email, no idea about postal enquiries though.
  • eDicky
    eDicky Posts: 6,561 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    I canceled the direct debit in august last year, in order for them to send me a letter to chase up, as they never send me a statement or bill for it, and I had no idea how long was left on the contract
    Instead of doing this, simply asking them would have avoided causing your subsequent problems and probable damage to your credit file.
    Evolution, not revolution
  • indesisiv
    indesisiv Posts: 6,359 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    I duly got a letter at the beginning of November, requesting payment of £105, which I paid on my card and can see on my bank statement.

Whilst on the phone, I asked him when the contract was up, and he said December, so I asked did this £105 include my final months payment and he said yes. So that was the end of it I thought.

Today, some 4 months later, I have got a bill for £144

You haven't said that you requested for the contract to end and gave your 30 days notice that was required. Phone contracts don't end, they just reach their minimum term.
    The Bill of ~£140 would appear to be 4 months of missed payments, due to you not cancelling the contract.

Sounds like the person on the phone interpreted your does this include the final months payment as does this get me up to date on the current contract.
    “Time is intended to be spent, not saved” - Alfred Wainwright
  • I couldn't simply ask them, as I didn't have an account number or phone number for the account, with it being an iPad and not a phone. I was never sent a statement or bill, they just took £35 each month, I had no idea when it was due to end, when I took up the offer, they told me it was £35 per month for 24 months, not that it was ongoing, that would be silly, as the iPad is then paid for and I would only, or should only, be paying Sim only.
    They still wouldn't give me that information when I asked yesterday, this is my problem, they won't tell me when the contract started, when it was due to end, and won't acknowledge an IVR payment I made in november
  • They told me on the phone that the contract ended in December, and that the £105 included my final payment, I was not made aware the contract would continue after that, and had no reason to believe it would, having just been told the contract ended in December
  • mobilejunkie
    mobilejunkie Posts: 8,460 Forumite
    edited 21 March 2017 at 8:02PM
    Then you have no idea how contracts work. No mobile network contract "ends" unless you give 30 days' notice. What you calculate as the point you've paid for the phone or tablet is completely irrelevant.

You external credit files are likely to have now been wrecked for the next 6 years. Since you're getting no-where you need to make a formal written complaint. It's hard to believe that you have no paperwork (i.e. from the point of sale amongst other things), account number etc. You really need to have a search of your old emails and any paperwork but they must at least have your name and address.

It sounds like it's more your lack of basic understanding and care which have caused your problems. The best and most vital point to cover yourself against future problems is at the point of sale. Specifically, getting (and keeping) everything you agreed to as opposed to what you have done this time round. It will now be a much harder process to sort out the mess.
  • flashg67
    flashg67 Posts: 3,994 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    All my 3 accounts are run online and I can see how much I pay and when the contract started - you will have been allocated a number at some point to create a log in - just a question of finding it!
    Mobile contracts don't end, they just come to the end of the minimum term. Just because it would be 'silly' to carry on paying the full amount, doesn't mean that isn't what will happen if you don't keep your wits about you.

The mobile company will happily keep taking your money unless/until you give them proper notice to end or change the contract. - just cancelling the direct debit isn't counted as giving notice.
  • I couldn't simply ask them, as I didn't have an account number or phone number for the account, with it being an iPad and not a phone. I was never sent a statement or bill, they just took £35 each month
    What you are saying doesn't make sense, as you also said you have spoken on the phone concerning making a payment, then saying you couldn't call them as you have no information as to the account number or the phone number!

When I took out a SIM only contract I was sent a letter in the post, it would be normal business practice to send a letter to the customer.

If you enter: https://www.three.co.uk/my3 while connected to the internet via the Three network, it will show you details of the SIM "phone number", when the minimum term ends, etc. You can also use the Three App (search the App Store for "Three") to see the same information.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure