PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

THE Prepping thread - a new beginning :)

Comments

• frosty
    frosty Posts: 1,169 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    I have my own cleaning business and have a lot of clients,their ages vary from 60 up to late 90's,and when I am cleaning out fridges and food cupboards it never ceases to amaze me what rubbish they eat.Very few eat fruit and veg,a lot of people just eat what they want and I wonder if they would have chronic health issues if they had a healthier diet.

I am 54 and since eating nuts everyday feel my mental health has improved,and I am trying to exercise everyday.
    The elderly people I know just sit in their comfy chair watching tv.
  • As an 'elderly people' at 69 and He Who Knows at 72 and living in an area which has a high proportion of over 60s I don't actually know anyone in our age group who sits in watching TV all day, most people I know are avid gardeners and have productive veg plots and beautiful borders with velvety lawns in fact several open their gardens to the public in the yellow book scheme and for charity. Many others still cycle, play tennis and sail and certainly I see many older people on a daily basis when I walk dogs. We and many of our acquaintance also have allotments and far from only eating junk grow most of our own fruit and veg and have a pretty healthy and veg heavy diet.

I think attitude towards getting older and staying positive helps enormously and I know how lucky we are to still be relatively healthy and able to be active in keeping a positive frame of mind. I don't think being focused on how you look or over analysing how you feel helps (not that I think any of us do this) but I have known people 'think' themselves old and incapacitated long before they actually are and give up on life by convincing themselves they can't walk far etc. That's where the problem lies in some cases rather than laziness and apathy!

Well done Frosty for changing your diet and doing the exercise every day, positive steps towards your own health are a very sensible and 'prepping' thing to have done. Prepping doesn't just have to be sharpening your toothbrush handle to fend off the Zombies or wearing the tin hat it's also valid in the small things that anyone can do to improve their current lives and their lives in the future!
  • frosty wrote: »
    I have my own cleaning business and have a lot of clients,their ages vary from 60 up to late 90's,and when I am cleaning out fridges and food cupboards it never ceases to amaze me what rubbish they eat.Very few eat fruit and veg,a lot of people just eat what they want and I wonder if they would have chronic health issues if they had a healthier diet.

I am 54 and since eating nuts everyday feel my mental health has improved,and I am trying to exercise everyday.
    The elderly people I know just sit in their comfy chair watching tv.

I'm also surprised by just how little fruit/veg most British people seem to eat and, to me, that goes a long way towards explaining the health problems many have. Part of my prepping is growing as much fruit/veg as I can in my garden. I major on growing fruit - as that's dearer than vegetables. Bit by bit and I'm getting my garden more together and I've got it to the stage currently where it's turning out a noticeable amount of stuff and I'm working on getting to a stage where it's turning out a lot more.

That's precisely what concerns me - the mental vision of all those elderly people sitting in their chair watching tv. That's not my definition of Having A Life personally and I wouldnt see the point of doing that - unless maybe one was following a self worked out programme of study (ie watching things that would be educational - and not just "something to do to fill the time" type programmes).
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 12,492 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 20 May 2017 at 8:51AM
    money, the pilates ring is instinctive. I squeeze it with my hands and also with my knees. The elastic rope thing has handles and I just loop it around the newel post at the bottom of the stairs. I think I got them from aldi. I also have some simple weights. The cycling: I hated indoor exercise, dh used to do an hour on his turbo in the garage in winter and came in sweating. Just get a bike, plenty second hand, with 8 gears, learn to maintain it and get yourself out. Take in a few slopes, starting gradually. You can`t beat being out for well-being, it is so artificial to the body to be cycling indoors but ok, is good for the worried. I have a re-bounder on my landing, bouncing, star jumps is terrific for re-building bone density. At an older age, we all know I think, that osteoclasts dominate over osteoblasts and bone breaks down. Impact exercise builds bone. Also important to stop chronic inflammation, google how, as it is complex

I put the un-saintly part of my diet on the eating for one thread but certainly not all of my food, in the main I eat much more good than bad. Berries every day, not much meat, not much fish any more (micro plastics in the sea). I think I eat at least 10 a day but in easy ways and a good soup is easy, not much fruit, no more than 2 a day. No getting away from the fact that it is veg that gives us our life source, including calcium from green leafy veg. You don`t have to eat kale but eating and growing the likes of easy-care perpetual spinach is good. Today I made veg soup and am back to veg juicing, had my juice and it was nice

frosty, I eat nuts every day, not too many, mainly walnuts and almonds, sometimes if I need more all round protein, a few macadamia. A fav pud is stewed apple, berries, nuts and half a plain unsweetened yoghurt
  • [Deleted User]
    Combo Breaker First Post
    I agree with your post mrsLW, most people on my allotment site are over 65 and they are always busy up there. Getting old can be an attitude of mind. I also agree with `money` as most people eat hardly any of natures bounty
  • I had a nice pudding the other day - soaked some oats in apple juice and then put in some grated apple and few berries. Scattered some nuts and more berries on top and baked.
  • [Deleted User]
    Combo Breaker First Post
    I have to go but logged back in. Money, soak your nuts to activate the enzymes and I would not bake that pudding as the enzymes and vitamins will disappear. Soak the oats for several hours instead, they will turn creamy
  • frosty
    frosty Posts: 1,169 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    I clean for a lot in sheltered housing,maybe if they had their own home and garden they would be more active,I don't think they realise that if they nourished their bodies better they would have more energy and better mental health.Its funny when I come bouncing into their home and they say "your always full of energy " I couldn't work as hard as you.
  • Karmacat
    Karmacat Posts: 39,460 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    GreyQueen wrote: »
    One thing that I have definately observed with every person I know as they age is that decline in physical strength, mobility and overall health isn't ever a smoothly descending curve.

Vitality goes down in sharp drops, with an injury or an illness being the trigger for a sudden decline in overall health and functionality. Oftentimes, the re-set is at a much lower level.
    Omigod, that is *so* true. Thats exactly what I experienced in my mid 50s.
    frosty wrote: »
    I clean for a lot in sheltered housing,maybe if they had their own home and garden they would be more active,I don't think they realise that if they nourished their bodies better they would have more energy and better mental health.Its funny when I come bouncing into their home and they say "your always full of energy " I couldn't work as hard as you.
    I remember when the research was being done that prompted the phrase "you are what you eat" - I was about 15, and I used to go into the adult library on the way home from school and read The Times about environmental incidents and research. And I remember how it was sneered at, that what you ate was a strong determinant of your health.

This discussion has definitely got me thinking - it's time for me to buy a Kelley Kettle, the stainless steel 1.2 litre version with a pot support. £60 from the website, though I'll check on Amazon before I buy. I've made a rocket stove, insulated with vermiculite, which uses the same principles, but frankly its a bodge, and doesn't have the ease and safety levels that a Kelley will have. What's tipped me (because I've been thinking about it forever) is that I really do think we're close to another crash, and my options are so much more limited than they were in 2008. To paraphrase Scarlett O'Hara said in Gone With The Wind, I'm not going to be one of the ones that egt winnowed out :D
    Save
    2023: the year I get to buy a car
  • Karmacat
    Karmacat Posts: 39,460 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 20 May 2017 at 10:00AM
    Actually, I have a question about the Kelley - when you pour water out to make your drink after its boiled, I can see there's a handle, but with a handle like that, you need to hold it somewhere else too, its not like a teapot handle. So how do people do that?

Please :)

ETA found their youtube video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TMCR-ie9H_w
    Save
    2023: the year I get to buy a car
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business