Elite 11+ shopping and chat thread

Comments

• Hope things go reasonably well today bubbs.

Personally I think people in New Orleans have the best idea for funerals!

Me, I would prefer to be just buried somewhere quietly, no funeral, people can remember me alive and kicking. I don't think that is what will happen though. I know it sounds awful, but to me the body is just a shell, it is not who we are. The essence of us will always be around.
    What is this life if, full of care, we have no time to stand and stare
  • Morning peeps....Well, had a deluge this morning with thunder, lightning and now a rainbow...but, its a beautiful day...Have a good one everyone...:j:j:j
    [STRIKE]68 [STRIKE]Mouses[/STRIKE] [/STRIKE]

OMG, I'm rich! Silver in the hair, Gold in the teeff, Crystals in the Kidney, Sugar in the blood, Lead in the butt, Iron in the arteries and an inexhaustible supply of natural gas! I never thought I would accumulate such wealth!! :rotfl::rotfl:
  • LEJC
    LEJC Posts: 9,618 Forumite
    Good morning all...

It's been really interesting reading everyones updates on being frugal and the october challenge.
    I for one didnt realise just how many little things I buy probably just because they are on offer or seem a good deal.
    It's also interesting reading everyone else's experiences and seeing how now we are almost half way through how much others may have thought they were likely to spend and have gone over or are heading in that direction...me included.
    I suspect a lot of us have faced a dilemma about something during the time and have each resolved it in the way we saw fit...mine so far has been the using of vouchers for a meal out...but could so easily have been the same as Tiny and perhaps not including a wine purchase!
    It's so easily done to step off the challenge when we can in our own way justify the reason....but for the purposes of the challenge we did set our own rules and what I do admire is the way that so many are having a go and those that are not are at least supporting and perhaps thinking of the deeper message behind how each shop.....as mhoc said yesterday everyone has their own perceptions and it's easy to judge someone by your own standards to decide what is frugal or not...but at the end of the day its about having what you want at a price you can afford and being comfortable with it.

What I am finding difficult is the being spontaneous with purchases and even I am missing the odd take away coffee or impromptu meal out "just because".
    It is difficult living to a budget and I find that things need regimental planning and is taking up more time than I would really like it to.

I will be glad when the challenge is over,but there are elements that I will adjust into everyday life going forward and I think it has made me realise that living on a very tight budget is not fun,its restricting at times and I would go as far as to say if done long term has the potential to isolate you from people purely because to go out for a coffee and cake costing £2.50 could present the choice of eating or not going forward in the week.

Today I do need to shop,but it will be for basics and hopefully at A where I can use a couple of small wombles.
    frugal October...£41.82 of £40 food shopping spend for the 2 of us!

2017 toiletries challenge 179 out 145 in ...£18.64 spend
  • locarr
    locarr Posts: 8,298 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    locarr wrote: »
    Evening all, nice whoopsy shop in T express tonight about £35 worth for just over £4, could have got loads more...shame they don't do trolleys in express! ;)

with pics....Morning ALL! :)

14595544_1406915689335977_4957609233671224727_n.jpg?oh=ecdf2feed80859b839c2359a4e3bc75d&oe=58AA570B
    14681822_1406915682669311_4176676845848889555_n.jpg?oh=ed0ca0f2e6e39c61e4bb74233a7c56f8&oe=58AC4840
    "He that lieth down with dogs shall rise up with fleas" Benjamin Franklin

bilge© copyright all rights reserved
  • mhoc
    mhoc Posts: 19,262 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    I am imagining the coffee cup queue at customer service with everyone also carrying a single banana, onion or carrot as their qualifying purchase to get their free coffees :D

zippydooda wrote: »
    Free hot drink

1. From the 10 October myWaitrose members who wish to enjoy a medium free tea or coffee from one of our coffee machines in the following branches,Clifton, Leigh-on-Sea, Southend, Bury St Edmunds, Norwich and Swaffham, will need to make a purchase in branch prior to qualifying for a free hot drink. Restrictions apply please see clause 6. Exclusions apply see clause 12.

2. From the 19 September myWaitrose members who wish to enjoy a medium free tea or coffee from one of our coffee machines in the following branches, Mountsorrel and Billericay, will need to make a purchase in branch prior to qualifying for a free hot drink. Restrictions apply please see clause 6. Exclusions apply see clause 12.

3. From the 07 September 2016 myWaitrose members who wish to enjoy a medium free tea or coffee in Hazelmere, Battersea, Bagshot Road, Roehampton, Burgh Heath, Burnt Common, Petts Wood, Sceptre, Ealing, Horley, Ken Gardens, Broxbourne, Tubs Hill, Headington, Guildford, will need to make a minimum of £30 spend on fuel. Exclusions apply see clause 12.

4. Offer available to all myWaitrose members on presentation of a myWaitrose card in store. Cardholder must be present.

5. myWaitrose members who wish to enjoy a free tea or coffee in one of our Caf!s, Bakery counters with seating areas and Deli counters with seating areas will need to make a purchase in the caf! or bakery prior to qualifying for a free hot drink.

6. One per myWaitrose member per day.

7. Only Americano, Cappuccino, Latte, Tea, Mocha and Espresso (Decaffeinated versions, Mocha and Espresso available in selected stores only) qualify as a free hot drink.

8. Selected stores only, excludes online, petrol filling stations, Shell and Welcome Break.

9. Subject to availability.

10. Cannot be used in conjunction with other caf! or hot drink offers.

11. At any till the myWaitrose card must be scanned to activate the offer. Quickpay customers must scan their myWaitrose card at any point during their shop.

12. ‘Excluded Items’, infant formula, single use carrier bags, tobacco, stamps, mobile top ups, e-Top up vouchers, lottery tickets, gift vouchers, cash back, car park charges, fuel and delivery charges.
    “Create all the happiness you are able to create; remove all the misery you are able to remove. Every day will allow you, --will invite you to add something to the pleasure of others, --or to diminish something of their pains.”
  • aallank
    aallank Posts: 2,254 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Good morning all

I just wondered if anyone thinks that the corona ex will still compare AvsW this morn as the price is still on mys? (or does that not count as its not showing on W website now?)

Tia :D
  • Sunshinemummy
    Sunshinemummy Posts: 17,377 Forumite
    Know what you mean, my father wouldn't sort my mums stuff for sooo long. And then he expected me to wear her bras. Apart from anything else I am bigger than she ever was!

Bless your dad.

Can you imagine people trying to sort our stashes out:D

Hope today goes well for everyone esp. Bubbs and enterprise. X
  • Sunshinemummy
    Sunshinemummy Posts: 17,377 Forumite
    I am going into tesco.......may blow the months budget....wish me luck
  • diluvsdiscounts
    diluvsdiscounts Posts: 4,395 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    edited 13 October 2016 at 10:26AM
    Enterprise good luck today I hope you have the same weather as us for their move it's beautiful here.
    Lejc I have quite enjoyed being a frocker and as I have already said it has reconfirmed that I liked the way I shopped and will continue to do so. We still have a pile of loo rolls from when they were on offer at Amazon months ago and dh thought I was mad as the boxes were delivered but have I needed to dash out and buy loo rolls since.....nope.
    I didn't let the wine offers pass me by purely because it tastes so much better at £3 a bottle.
    I am going to town with Dd today I don't really need food as I'm making a good effort at eating out to f the freezers although we are now down to three but I'll be stocking up whenever there is a decent offer on anything that I would normally buy. I've been lucky that we had plenty of barm's, wraps, thins in the freezer and I got milk delivered with my wine the other day so I haven't needed to go to the supermarket.
    I have been there as you described were it's a case of do we pay the bills or do we eat and it's not nice I think it makes us appreciate what we have now but at the time it's hard. We were so broke when we first had Dd but we lived on love haha. Wouldn't change the past for anything but I'm also not saving for my future either, within reason. I intend spending what we earn and enjoying life here and now because who knows what tomorrow brings. I'll still be a frocker this month but only on my groceries.
  • LEJC
    LEJC Posts: 9,618 Forumite
    edited 13 October 2016 at 10:32AM
    Yesterday my nightmare tenants finally moved out.....
    The positive is that they have gone...the reality is it's going to take time and money to reinstate and clean the flat to its former glory.

interesting comments from I think it was matty or maybe marbett...sorry i forget! last night regarding a LL/Tenant situation that they were moving on from...I could show you all the other side of letting where the tenant ignores any check out cleaning but quite frankly the pictures I have taken are disgusting and my tenant will be losing all their deposit and potentially facing a claim for more.
    But thats the life I lead as a LL and I need to take the rough with the smooth.,.....there are always two sides to each letting story but ultimately I do believe that there are good tenants who respect property and those that use it as a place to live and even abuse caring little for the state in which they return it.

At the end of the day thats what the deposit can be used for is to help rectify damage and cleanliness....some get their deposit back because they respect that fact and some dont.

today I will be cleaning a bathroom that has not been cleaned for 8 months and even has mushrooms growing around the mould of the bath...interesting to wonder what anyone would need to be paid to do this job????
    frugal October...£41.82 of £40 food shopping spend for the 2 of us!

2017 toiletries challenge 179 out 145 in ...£18.64 spend
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport