First home - modernisation

Hello,

Me and my boyfriend are in the process of buying our first home, which is very exciting but also quite scary. The house was built in 1995 so not a really old house, but is in need of a bit of modernisation. For instance the windows are the original wood windows that are rotting in places, the bathroom has pink units and wood surrounding the bath. However the boiler is only 7 years old and most of it is just personal taste and decoration. We were looking into the costs of doing what is important to us first and wondered if anyone could help us please. We wondered approximately how much it would cost to replace all the windows with pvc double glazing or triple glazing. Also wondered if it's actually worth paying the extra for triple glazing. We will arrange to get quotes of course from various companies but wanted to start planning for the costs now before we've actually completed the sale. To add, I'm not sure how many windows there are but it's a four bed detached house. Also any advice for diy for first time home owners would be much welcomed.

Many thanks,
April :D

Comments

• Le_Kirk
    Le_Kirk Posts: 22,278 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Welcome to the forum and well done for planning ahead. Presumably you have had a survey carried out and have contacted the vendors to negotiate a reduction in price, at least for the windows. You probably won't get a reduction for pink bathrooms!
  • AprilR
    AprilR Posts: 35 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    I meant to say upvc, my bad! Also looking at costs for a porch and replacing the garage door with an insulated roller door.
    At the front of the house there is already a brick post and roof above an area where a porch can go, so just need glass panels and door really.
    Cheers,
    April
  • AprilR
    The survey is happening next week, and the only problem we could see were the windows. We've seen various properties that all have visible structural issues etc. Hoping for no nasty surprises.

Thanks for your quick reply

April :D
  • ST1991
    ST1991 Posts: 515 Forumite
    Seems odd for UPVC to look rotten (although correct me if i'm wrong) is it just really really dirty? The survey should bring anything up though.
    1995 is not old at all :)
  • Doozergirl
    Doozergirl Posts: 33,803 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Triple glazing isn't usually worth the extra money for the enegy saved. It doesn't pay you back. Unless very high spec, the frames are not as insulated as the windows and so do not perform as well as the glass suggests.

I would only put triple glazing in a specifically engineered house, not a developer built, masonry house with cavity.
    Everything that is supposed to be in heaven is already here on earth.
  • Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    ST1991 wrote: »
    Seems odd for UPVC to look rotten
    The windows are currently wood.

People always assume that if the survey finds something wrong, like rotten windows, there will be some automatic price reduction. However, who here can say whether this cost isn't already factored into the price? After all, the problems there are visible before survey.

That's right, none of us!

As ever, it's a matter of negotiation with the vendor(s) who may, or may not, play ball.

I would just add that when you get around to those windows, don't fall for the hype of the big companies, like E*****st and A****an who have poor reputations and advertising to pay for. Go for local firms with a decent track record and get several quotes.
  • bouicca21
    bouicca21 Posts: 6,512 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Just to reiterate what Davesnave said - I had DG at my last house, done very carefully to imitate the original windows. Reputable local company charged just over a third of the Everest quote.
  • Le_Kirk
    Le_Kirk Posts: 22,278 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Davesnave wrote: »
    People always assume that if the survey finds something wrong, like rotten windows, there will be some automatic price reduction. However, who here can say whether this cost isn't already factored into the price? After all, the problems there are visible before survey.
    Good point, well made. Whenever I have bought a house and gone to the vendor with a request for reduction or repair, it's always "oh, we reduced the price already" but whenever I've sold a house and the buyer comes to me with the survey, I've always been forced to reduce or make good. Maybe the buyers have always had better solicitors then me!!
  • AprilR
    We thought the price was fairly reasonable anyway and think they're looking for a quick sale. So we knocked £5,000 off the asking price to account for the windows. My parents used a local company for the windows and they seemed pretty good and reasonably priced. So I'll get them and some others round for quotes as soon as we get in. Because of past problems when nearly purchasing a property we've opened our eyes a lot to potential problems, looking for structural problems etc, so we're hoping that the survey doesn't find something we didn't.

Thanks everyone for your replies, much appreciated.

Thanks,
    April ��
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family