Railcard discount on multiple Oyster card?

Does anyone know if the railcard discount can be applied to multiple Oyster cards??

Save 12K in 2020 # 38 £0/£20,000

Comments

• martindow
    martindow Posts: 10,196
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    They certainly check the cards are registered to the same address, but if the system makes further checks I've no idea. You could try going to a tube station with the Railcard and a second Oyster and ask the staff to link them to see what happens.
  • martindow
    Forumite
    Having replied, I'm wondering what is behind your question. Why would you need more than one Oyster card?

I hope this is not to link an Oyster card so it can be used by someone not entitled to the railcard discount. I assume that ticket inspectors could see that a railcard is linked and ask to see it.
  • ctbfc
    ctbfc Posts: 105
    First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    darkidoe wrote: »
    Does anyone know if the railcard discount can be applied to multiple Oyster cards??

I am 99% sure it can. TFL staff do not input a railcard number when they link the discount. However if you were to do this so somebody else could benefit from your railcard discount then it would be fraud
    martindow wrote: »
    Having replied, I'm wondering what is behind your question. Why would you need more than one Oyster card?

I hope this is not to link an Oyster card so it can be used by someone not entitled to the railcard discount. I assume that ticket inspectors could see that a railcard is linked and ask to see it.

Possibly. I have never, ever been asked to show my railcard when travelling with my Oyster card though.
  • darkidoe
    darkidoe Posts: 1,125
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    Lost my Oyster card once and had another spare one lying around the house. No harm trying to get a second card registered.

Save 12K in 2020 # 38 £0/£20,000
  • glider3560
    glider3560 Posts: 4,115
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    ctbfc wrote: »
    Possibly. I have never, ever been asked to show my railcard when travelling with my Oyster card though.
    I have been when travelling on the DLR and National Rail.
  • t0rt0ise
    t0rt0ise Posts: 4,255
    Forumite
    When linking a discount on an oyster, the number of the photocard should be input and linking to a second card should be refused.
  • martindow
    Forumite
    t0rt0ise wrote: »
    When linking a discount on an oyster, the number of the photocard should be input and linking to a second card should be refused.
    I'm not sure of this. When I renew my senior railcard I need to go to a tube station to ask the staff to relink it to an Oystercard. Could it not be that the new railcard details replace and delete the previous year's?
  • t0rt0ise
    t0rt0ise Posts: 4,255
    Forumite
    martindow wrote: »
    I'm not sure of this. When I renew my senior railcard I need to go to a tube station to ask the staff to relink it to an Oystercard. Could it not be that the new railcard details replace and delete the previous year's?
    Yes of course. But you couldn't then take a friend's oyster card in and get your railcard tied to that one too.
  • martindow
    Forumite
    t0rt0ise wrote: »
    Yes of course. But you couldn't then take a friend's oyster card in and get your railcard tied to that one too.
    Absolutely you shouldn't, but does the system at a tube station detect this and stop it happening do you think?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure