PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

THE Prepping thread - a new beginning :)

Comments

• mardatha
    mardatha Posts: 15,612 Forumite
    Maybe Theresa May's idea of constuctive talks aren't Vladimir Putin's :D
  • pineapple
    pineapple Posts: 6,931 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 12 August 2016 at 3:27PM
    VJsmum wrote: »
    There are frequent power cuts in SA - on Friday or Saturday the whole of Johannesburg was out, can you imagine the uproar if that were London??? People are well prepared with generators, battery packs and ensuring they have gas stoves as well as lamps, torches and candles.

We were frequently without internet - and we didn't die :rotfl:
    When I lived in Uganda we had what they called 'load shedding''. The electricity would go off for a few hours every single day - alternating between day time and evening. Being so close to the equator it got dark (and light) really quickly so you had to be ready with your radio charged and your candles lit.
    Wealthy people had generators so not me... It was no big deal though I missed having a freezer and it was difficult keeping the fridge cold. I learned to like tinned fish :(
  • pineapple wrote: »
    When I lived in Uganda we had what they called 'load shedding''. The electricity would go off for a few hours every single day - alternating between day time and evening. Being so close to the equator it got dark (and light) really quickly so you had to be ready with your radio charged and your candles lit.
    Wealthy people had generators so not me... It was no big deal though I missed having a freezer and it was difficult keeping the fridge cold. I learned to like tinned fish :(

Pineapple, I have a friend who is a missionary that lives on Lingura Island off the coast closest to Jinga, in Lake Victoria. She's on FB and likes to post funny 'Only in Uganda' photos and stories.
    And the bugs are big there!:eek:
    Overprepare, then go with the flow.
    [Regina Brett]
  • maryb wrote: »
    Then you see Boris calling for our relations with Russia to be normalised and apparently Theresa May is having constructive talks.

Previous Governments talked with the IRA, and they actually were bombing us.
  • VJsmum
    VJsmum Posts: 6,951 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    pineapple wrote: »

Interesting isn't it? In the place we stayed with no electricity at all, we just accepted it. Obviously we knew it didn't when we booked and it was holiday and not everyday life. The paths were lit with paraffin lamps as were our rooms. They cooked toast on the embers of an open fire. Our tables had candles. It was dark at 6 o'clock there too, being winter.

I would do it again in a heartbeat

I rather liked not being able to access the Internet except for twice a day, while we were away, and in the place above not at all. I wish I could continue that now I'm back, but it's hard.....:(
    I wanna be in the room where it happens
  • pineapple
    VJsmum wrote: »
    Interesting isn't it? In the place we stayed with no electricity at all, we just accepted it. Obviously we knew it didn't when we booked and it was holiday and not everyday life. The paths were lit with paraffin lamps as were our rooms. They cooked toast on the embers of an open fire. Our tables had candles. It was dark at 6 o'clock there too, being winter.

I would do it again in a heartbeat

I rather liked not being able to access the Internet except for twice a day, while we were away, and in the place above not at all. I wish I could continue that now I'm back, but it's hard.....:(
    I've stayed in a lodge without electricity and it was wonderful.
    But of course much of the contents had been manufactured with electricity as had any meds we were on - and we all knew that modern surgical treatment if needed - was available. So I think I would pass on the idea of going back to nature completely. Think of the dentistry! :eek:
  • ivyleaf
    ivyleaf Posts: 6,431 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    pineapple wrote: »
    I've stayed in a lodge without electricity and it was wonderful.
    But of course much of the contents had been manufactured with electricity as had any meds we were on - and we all knew that modern surgical treatment if needed - was available. So I think I would pass on the idea of going back to nature completely. Think of the dentistry! :eek:

I'd rather not :eek:
  • pineapple
    edited 13 August 2016 at 12:44PM
    Pineapple, I have a friend who is a missionary that lives on Lingura Island off the coast closest to Jinga, in Lake Victoria. She's on FB and likes to post funny 'Only in Uganda' photos and stories.
    And the bugs are big there!:eek:
    Interesting. I didn't find the bugs too fearsome. But the clouds of lakefly that swoop down occasionally by the lake are a pain - especially if you are trying to eat outdoors. Some locals compress them into 'lakefly cake'. I'm told they taste fishy :rotfl:
    Returning to prepping there was a recent tv programme about places where they eat bugs.
    Anyway my own funny (sort of) story from Uganda was told to me by a UK police officer who was there to help train Ugandan police as part of an aid initiative. He said he went into a room where conscripts were being trained and there was a slide showing a naked man hung upside down being prodded with electrical gadgets. The caption was - wait for it - WHAT IS WRONG WITH THIS INTERVIEW? :huh:
  • GreyQueen
    GreyQueen Posts: 13,008 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)
  • pineapple
    GreyQueen wrote: »
    That's very interesting GQ. I noticed when I retired that most of the telephone cold calling stopped. It seemed too much of a coincidence to me. I wondered if my reduced purchasing power made me a financial non person :(
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure