No Buying Unnecessary Toiletries October 2016

Options

Comments

• VALM
    VALM Posts: 5,833 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    VALM, I think my issue with the Goof Proof is that it's not a fine enough point and can't be sharpened like a normal pencil. I might try the NYX wind up one (Micro pencil?) if there's a good colour match. Hope the work's moving on quickly in your house!

:)

See, I like the Goof proof because of the shape of the nib. Horses for courses! Work finally finished at home yesterday and to our great relief the rot had not infested much of the kitchen - only affected the area just inside the door way. So, now the fun starts of redecorating, recarpeting and saving for a new kitchen. Yay.
    I need some advice lovey ladies. I bought yesterday two ins that I desperately want to be outs and get a refund for. They are Bliss gel to oil melt cleanser and a hydrating moisturiser by same brand. I bought the moisturiser and got the cleanser free but boy do I wish I hadn't. I've just used both and I now have a very tight feeling itchy red face like a really bad allergic reaction. My skin feels horrible the worst ever!

I bought from my local marks and Spencer's - will I be able to get a refund? I don't know if I have my receipt because I'm an idiot.

It hurts so so so bad and I'm so cross at myself because I shouldn't have been buying in first place but I felt I needed a moisturiser as face been feeling right. Usually I do my research, spend a bit more and test things but I impulse bought. Absolutely gutted. My skins been bad lately anyway but now it's awful!!!

You need to find the receipt I think. Can't see you getting anywhere without it. It may well be that M&S will give you a refund if you've had a reaction but not without a receipt (I reckon).
    Back for the No Buying Toiletries challenge. I pledge to only buy when I run out of a product that is not already in my stash no matter what wonderful emails land in in my Inbox or threads I read on MSE re: glitches!

SPC Member 046
    £2. Challenge member 55
  • VALM
    VALM Posts: 5,833 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    PP List update:-

Used:-
    LE C&P - 200ml pump. Feeling light

Supergdrug B wipes - half pack (mine)
    LUSH King of Skin - part used
    L'Occitane Cherry Blossom shower gel - 1 application left

Still in Use:-

TBS Seaweed serum - about half used
    Murad clarifying mask - small tube. Will cut this one. Maybe 2 applications in there
    L'Occitane Cherry Blossom shower gel - 1 application left
    Mark Hill straightening cream - tube feels light (mine)
    Umber to Giannini hairspray- few spritzes left
    Sample sachets
    Back for the No Buying Toiletries challenge. I pledge to only buy when I run out of a product that is not already in my stash no matter what wonderful emails land in in my Inbox or threads I read on MSE re: glitches!

SPC Member 046
    £2. Challenge member 55
  • Catriona_P
    Options
    abbe89 wrote: »
    I find that I'm getting through shower toiletries fairly well - shower gel, body scrub, shampoo/conditioner - but struggle with body lotions etc. I have so many and they seem to last forever!!!

Little tip - if you shave, applying body lotion before you do makes the skin softer and shaving easier (I find). This is how I use up my body lotions!

A UU for me - Anna Sui's rock star perfume. I really like Anna Sui perfumes and this is one I hadn't had before (a gift). WBA.

Hope you're ok Houseplant!
    "Why, this is hell, nor am I out of it."
  • EssexHebridean
    Options
    I need some advice lovey ladies. I bought yesterday two ins that I desperately want to be outs and get a refund for. They are Bliss gel to oil melt cleanser and a hydrating moisturiser by same brand. I bought the moisturiser and got the cleanser free but boy do I wish I hadn't. I've just used both and I now have a very tight feeling itchy red face like a really bad allergic reaction. My skin feels horrible the worst ever!

I bought from my local marks and Spencer's - will I be able to get a refund? I don't know if I have my receipt because I'm an idiot.

It hurts so so so bad and I'm so cross at myself because I shouldn't have been buying in first place but I felt I needed a moisturiser as face been feeling right. Usually I do my research, spend a bit more and test things but I impulse bought. Absolutely gutted. My skins been bad lately anyway but now it's awful!!!

I suspect they may offer you a credit note, but in my experience M&S's Customer Services is absolutely excellent on stuff like this. Fingers crossed and good luck!

Loving our "original gang" reunion - funny the way we all return to the mother-ship! :rotfl:

Did indeed have a small tube of Hand Food at home so that's now sitting on my desk. :cool:
    🎉 MORTGAGE FREE (First time!) 30/09/2016 🎉 And now we go again…New mortgage taken 01/09/23 🏡
    Balance as at 01/09/23 = £115,000.00
    Balance as at 31/12/23 = £112,000.00
    SOA CALCULATOR (for DFW newbies): SOA Calculator
    she/her
  • fixx
    fixx Posts: 792 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I'm one of the originals too :)

I did disappear for a couple of years when I was living abroad, and my stash was under control. I rejoined when I moved back to the UK and discovered all the beauty boxes that had appeare! :rotfl:

My stash is pretty under control now - I like how VALM said it:
    VALM wrote: »
    Hi EH good to see you again. I'm still here as I love the chat and nosying at what other people UU. I think that I've found my HG product in most categories and still enjoy the occasional splurge but am mostly, I think, under control.

I would not have discovered some great products (or alternate uses for products) without this little community. And the other bonus for me - my skin is much better than it used to be. Yes, I have a few more lines (boo!) but it's clearer, brighter, and better balanced.
  • Houseplant26
    Options
    I suspect they may offer you a credit note, but in my experience M&S's Customer Services is absolutely excellent on stuff like this. Fingers crossed and good luck!

Loving our "original gang" reunion - funny the way we all return to the mother-ship! :rotfl:

Did indeed have a small tube of Hand Food at home so that's now sitting on my desk. :cool:

Thanks all for your advice. I actually direct messaged M&S on Twitter and they asked me for the product numbers to pass to the relevant team. Impressed by them so far. Fingers crossed for a credit note, I don't mind that terribly I could buy yummy food.

I've calmed down about the whole thing now, it just stressed me out having a red angry face!
  • SuiDreams
    SuiDreams Posts: 2,393 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I have a UU from my 5 by Christmas UU 1 mini Lancome Day Cream, used the Genifique cream really like it seemed to smooth skin well, have a few mini's of this so will see how it goes instead of using my fav Hydrazen

1 - OPI mini polish - would like to get rid of more of the mini's I have
    2 - Urban Decay one & Done - this is a light weight product I have been using in the summer when I don't want to use foundation, there isn't much left but won't use this as much now the weather is changing adding to the list to ensure I make an effort to UU before it goes off.
    3 - UU- 1 Lancôme sample Day Cream
    4 - 1 Travel size Body lotion - Once the Crabtree & Eveylyn one is gone would like to try and continue using Body lotion. I think UU a travel size is manageable
    5 - UU 1 Urban Decay eye shadow - other than 50/50 - have loads of eye shadow and loads that have hit pan, would like to get some more finished.

No movement on anything else or the carry over from the Autumn Challenge.
  • Houseplant26
    Options
    I have a sample UU - ole Hendrickson vit c serum. Wmb seemed to give skin a nice glow and radiance but pricy and not an essential.

I have some sample ins though (not doing too well at the stash, it's too tempting to try and get freebies it's a bit addictive...) a sachet of khiels shampoo and conditioner been wanting to try as I have quite a sensitive scalp and annoying flat hair that is both greasy and damaged/breaking from old bleach diy jobs. I've also obtained a random hotel freebie bottle of body lotion from OH who goes away sometimes with work.

Ive been thinking a bit lately about this thread, and me and why I spend money on toiletries. I'm aware that my self esteem can be quite low. I'm also aware that if I'm feeling rubbish (I suffer from depression and anxiety which is currently mild and managed) I find skincare in particularly is like a little bit of a weird crux. It reminds me I am capable of taking care of myself and almost gives me a sense that I know what I am doing in this area of my life. Some days I don't want to even do my teeth (but I 9.5:10 do!) but making myself pamper a bit makes me do the basics too. I've also realised I was bullied quite badly at school in a very much unkind comments based way, and I have some memories of people being very unkind about the way I looked.

I'm quite lazy in my appearance these days and I'm rubbish at making myself do my makeup and only do the basics - but I want nice fancy face things regardless of using some of them regularly (I've been better lately and I do use my skincare)!

Has anyone else given much thought to why they overbuy toiletries?

Is this a bit too heavy for this thread? Sorry if it is and do tell me, I won't be offended. I'm
    Just wondering if thinking about this may help us?
  • Hermia
    Hermia Posts: 4,473 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    UU Nivea Irresistibly Smooth body lotion. I WBA, but I prefer the Garnier body lotions.
    Ive been thinking a bit lately about this thread, and me and why I spend money on toiletries. I'm aware that my self esteem can be quite low. I'm also aware that if I'm feeling rubbish (I suffer from depression and anxiety which is currently mild and managed) I find skincare in particularly is like a little bit of a weird crux. It reminds me I am capable of taking care of myself and almost gives me a sense that I know what I am doing in this area of my life. Some days I don't want to even do my teeth (but I 9.5:10 do!) but making myself pamper a bit makes me do the basics too. I've also realised I was bullied quite badly at school in a very much unkind comments based way, and I have some memories of people being very unkind about the way I looked.

I'm quite lazy in my appearance these days and I'm rubbish at making myself do my makeup and only do the basics - but I want nice fancy face things regardless of using some of them regularly (I've been better lately and I do use my skincare)!

Has anyone else given much thought to why they overbuy toiletries?

Is this a bit too heavy for this thread? Sorry if it is and do tell me, I won't be offended. I'm
    Just wondering if thinking about this may help us?

I think if you shop too much or you hoard it is essential to work out why. I see a lot of these decluttering experts who just concentrate on the practical side of decluttering and don't think the emotional side is important. I think if you do that you can slip right back into old habits.

I think I tend to buy cosmetics and toiletries when I am feeling down. I tend to buy products for the life I want not the life I actually have. It started in my early 20s. I was caring for my terminally ill father. I only really got to go out to get the shopping and I would find myself buying glamorous party make-up that I had no chance of wearing. I later realised it was because I was depressed on missing out on my youth. Even now I find I have to watch myself if I am feeling down. I have to remind myself that it would be better for me to save the money and keep it to spend when my life is better.

I do find it really useful to reflect on how much my unused stash is worth sometimes. I once looked at my make-up collection and was very depressed when I realised that I could have paid for a pretty high-end weekend in Paris with that money. I would prefer to have had a small cosmetics collection and a weekend in Paris! I think this is one of the reasons I stopped watching the YouTube beauty gurus. So many whinge in their vlogs about all the places they would like to visit or the house they would like to buy and then they haul £300 of products. It drove me bonkers watching them not getting that they could have the things they wanted if they didn't buy 20 lipsticks a month!
  • SuiDreams
    SuiDreams Posts: 2,393 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Hermia wrote: »
    UU Nivea Irresistibly Smooth body lotion. I WBA, but I prefer the Garnier body lotions.

I think if you shop too much or you hoard it is essential to work out why. I see a lot of these decluttering experts who just concentrate on the practical side of decluttering and don't think the emotional side is important. I think if you do that you can slip right back into old habits.

I think I tend to buy cosmetics and toiletries when I am feeling down. I tend to buy products for the life I want not the life I actually have. It started in my early 20s. I was caring for my terminally ill father. I only really got to go out to get the shopping and I would find myself buying glamorous party make-up that I had no chance of wearing. I later realised it was because I was depressed on missing out on my youth. Even now I find I have to watch myself if I am feeling down. I have to remind myself that it would be better for me to save the money and keep it to spend when my life is better.

I do find it really useful to reflect on how much my unused stash is worth sometimes. I once looked at my make-up collection and was very depressed when I realised that I could have paid for a pretty high-end weekend in Paris with that money. I would prefer to have had a small cosmetics collection and a weekend in Paris! I think this is one of the reasons I stopped watching the YouTube beauty gurus. So many whinge in their vlogs about all the places they would like to visit or the house they would like to buy and then they haul £300 of products. It drove me bonkers watching them not getting that they could have the things they wanted if they didn't buy 20 lipsticks a month!

I totally agree with you on this. I'm normally quite good at saving and then buying things with money I have saved etc, but recently have gone over board on the who spending thing. I think its a case of feeling down and trying to cheer myself up. I'm thinking the who feeling down thing is work related its not been good here for the last year or so with people being made redundant or leaving etc. Due to being a bit thin on the ground here I've ended up doing work that's not really either in my job description or anything I enjoy doing and it gets you down after a while.

On the other side of things when I've been good and saved up for something larger like a new Shed or new kitchen (all these larger purchases were desperately needed at the time). I got winged at by my sister about it. Comments like I wish I could afford that, but I'll have to do without, I'm so skint etc etc. But she has a wardrobe over flowing with clothes, a bit of a QVC addiction and eats out a lot. Now if she didn't spend on all the smaller things that she didn't really need she would be able to afford the larger things that she does need, but she doesn't seem to get that at all.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure