PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

THE Prepping thread - a new beginning :)

Options

Comments

• GreyQueen
    GreyQueen Posts: 13,008 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    monnagran wrote: »
    GQ. Why Nivea? I'd do it with a Brillo pad.
    :) Carbolic soap? The true old styler would probably use sandpaper.

I'm driving my pooter mouse left-handed as I seem to have a touch of RSI on the right forearm. I blame youse lot, plus the rest of the fascinating interwebulator.

I'd like to catch me a clown. I wonder is they're hydrodynamic, we have a river very handily by Shoebox Towers.
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)
  • Witless
    Witless Posts: 728 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    GreyQueen wrote: »
    :( We've got contagious clown-idiocy in our region, too. One of these nights one of these numpties will get their lights punched out by an un-amused victim.

According to a friend of Witless(Jnr) that's exactly what happened here on Saturday night.

Bit hard to feel any real sympathy for the 'victim'.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    They've been predicting for some time, that somebody would die, in a vehicle attack at the ports.

I don't think anyone expected the fatality to be a migrant.
  • moneyistooshorttomention
    moneyistooshorttomention Posts: 17,940 Forumite
    edited 11 October 2016 at 8:55AM
    Options
    Bedsit_Bob wrote: »
    They've been predicting for some time, that somebody would die, in a vehicle attack at the ports.

I don't think anyone expected the fatality to be a migrant.

I did - expect that...literally standing there blocking the roads is knowingly putting oneself at risk. It's giving the poor drivers two choices - either sit inside the vehicle (with all doors and windows locked), calling the police and taking photos of them doing this OR drive on. Neither choice is a happy one.

I fear the first death of someone just going about their business - eg lorry-drivers, holidaymakers, etc.
  • Doveling
    Doveling Posts: 704 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    MITSTM (and anybody else interested) the Future Learn course on Food as Medicine is repeating again on 24th October.

When I did it, it focused more on healthy eating rather than the medicinal properties of food but they may have tweaked the content. Worth doing anyway, I felt. :)

I have no connection to FL apart from taking quite a few of their courses.

Plus the courses are free! :D
    Not dim ;) .....just living in soft focus :p
  • moneyistooshorttomention
    Options
    Thanks Doveling. :)

I have actually signed myself up for that - as I thought it might be interesting.
  • westcoastscot
    Options
    I did - expect that...literally standing there blocking the roads is knowingly putting oneself at risk. It's giving the poor drivers two choices - either sit inside the vehicle (with all doors and windows locked), calling the police and taking photos of them doing this OR drive on. Neither choice is a happy one.

I fear the first death of someone just going about their business - eg lorry-drivers, holidaymakers, etc.

I think one is happier than the other though, in that with the former you aren't knowingly killing some poor soul :(?
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Newbie
    First Anniversary First Post Debt-free and Proud!
    edited 11 October 2016 at 7:29PM
    Options
    While any death is tragic, I struggle to feel sympathy for someone, who loses their life, while committing a criminal (and especially a violent criminal) act.
  • culpepper
    culpepper Posts: 4,076 Forumite
    Options
    How long before people are running into the vehicles on purpose ?
    Would the law deem it a hit and run if a person actually ran into your car and you did not open the doors or windows for fear of who is going to leap in.
  • GreyQueen
    GreyQueen Posts: 13,008 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    :( It's a very uncomfortable situation. A pal came back from holiday through Calais in their car in July 2015 and had such a hairy time being accosted by would-be immigrants that he vowed never again and flew the same journey in July 2016.

I have several truck drivers in my extended family, although none presently doing continental runs. I have also ridden a fair few times in the tractor cabs and have driven large and heavy vehicles such as double-deckers and armoured post office vans myself.

What is sometimes not appreciated by car drivers is that large and heavy vehicles have much greater stopping distances than cars. An HGV on the move, even at modest speeds, is an incredibly dangerous thing to get in the way of.

I feel very sad that this driver will have to live the rest of his life with a death on his conscience when he's just a Joe Soap, someone's Dad or brother or son.

Folks who try to waylay moving vehicles are dicing with death and I find myself wondering what the flip the French police are doing if it isn't safe for vehicles to pass on the highway without people placing roadblocks and hurling things at them? Does the rule of law not apply in France?

About 20 years ago, I and a friend were driving a large van on a motorway in the middle of the night in the middle of nowhere. M3 or M4, can't quite remember which, I did a lot of gadding about that year.

A person dressed in dark clothes suddenly ran from the central reservation right across the carriageway in front of us. We both screamed - there was nothing at all on the road other than ourselves and no reason for a person to nearly throw themselves under our wheels.

We didn't hit them. It was bliddy close, and my blood still chills to think of it, and that I could have a death on my conscience.
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills