PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

KonMari 2017 - The Life Changing Magic of Tidying Up

Options

Comments

• maryb
    maryb Posts: 4,661 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    I've been kondoing my stores as well because they were disorganised and I didn't know what was there - we had building work done which caused major upheaval and required everything to be packed up in crates and shoved into wherever it would fit. And inevitably other stuff got shoved in after it.

So even after the work was finished and I could put stuff back in my store cupboard, it was all mixed up. I knew some of the stuff would have gone out of date but didn't know what or how much

So I bit the bullet today and sorted it. I got rid of the OOD stuff (not too much, I was glad to say) and gave some other stuff to the food bank where it is still in date but short shelf life or we no longer eat that particular food (DH will not eat tuna pasta again in this lifetime)

So now I can fill in the gaps and make sure I have enough of the things I like to store

So like you Kittie, kondoing is removing a block to prepping
    It doesn't matter if you are a glass half full or half empty sort of person. Keep it topped up! Cheers!
  • MrsPorridge
    MrsPorridge Posts: 2,907 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I am slowly trying to KM a "friend". Is that allowed? I have wanted to have less contact with her for many months now - I'm letting her make contact with me and I am not suggesting we meet up. Slowly I think it will happen.

When I met up with her a couple of weeks ago (first time since Christmas), I finally admitted that she does not give me joy and when I think about it she never has. I always found her a chore and hard work.
    Debt free and Keeping on Track
  • VJsmum
    VJsmum Posts: 6,954 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Hello all - been reading along but not really had much to contribute.

Today i found the recipe book for my bread machine on a shelf. machine went about two years ago, so it's time the book followed :o (i just hadn't realised it was still there, it's very slim). With it went a pack of curry mix i got from Singapore. i last went to Singapore 2 years ago and it is nearly two years out of date..

Also been pondering a couple of tops. Every time i put them on they come straight off again. I really like the style and the colour but something about them isn't right and i have held on to them hoping for a magic solution. MMF's post this morning made me realise THEY DON'T SPARK JOY. They've gone in the charity bag...:T Thanks MMF

This weekend is the great "bringing DD's stuff back from Uni" weekend... :eek::eek::eek: Lord help us...
    I wanna be in the room where it happens
  • VJsmum
    VJsmum Posts: 6,954 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I am slowly trying to KM a "friend". Is that allowed? I have wanted to have less contact with her for many months now - I'm letting her make contact with me and I am not suggesting we meet up. Slowly I think it will happen.

When I met up with her a couple of weeks ago (first time since Christmas), I finally admitted that she does not give me joy and when I think about it she never has. I always found her a chore and hard work.

Of course it's allowed. That's why it's "life changing".. :)
    I wanna be in the room where it happens
  • PollyWollyDoodle
    Options
    Thank you for the reminder about 'not hanging on to the past'. I think when I did my original KM I just classed 'sewing stuff' as one item. I've had to temporarily move some of it from where it's usually kept so I took the opportunity to go through it. :eek: I won't need any more snap fasteners, pins or needles in my lifetime. Zips, ditto although I guarantee I won't have the right length or colour in my vast collection.

I have about six embroidery kits, ranging from a blackwork cushion cover to a Christmas decoration to a lavender bag, all half started of course. And enough thread to get Theseus out of the Minotaur's cave several times over, although as per zips, I doubt if any of it will be the right colour or type for any future project. I've already put some items in the CS bag but after reading this thread, I'm going to revisit it. I love sewing but haven't done embroidery for years.
    Life is mainly froth and bubble: two things stand like stone. Kindness in another’s trouble, courage in your own.
  • wort
    wort Posts: 1,673 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Hugs to those who are needing them.x

I had a tidy under the stairs, and realised that I could use the plastic crates with lids that were freed up from under the beds, to put my throws and cushions in under the stairs.
    I have a few sets of cushions that I change around each season , I love to do this as it makes the room feel different, I get bored easily! :p
    I was able to get rid of a few throws , and numerous bits of kipple.
    I then went in the garage to straighten, I did it not long ago, but realised hubby's beers were going ood. So have asked brother and bil. If they will take them, also a box of sachets of porridge, which I can't eat as I'm coeliac. A lump hammer,and a pick axe!!
    Gave it a good sweep out too. In side I have tidied a few drawers and cupboards, I had enough room now for T bags and kitchen rolls to go in Welsh dresser, so the shelf under stairs was empty, I put 2 lidded plastic boxes on it filled with candles and t.lights.
    After tea I had time to mow the lawn before the rain shower.
    What a lovely feeling knowing everything is neat and tidy.:T
    Focus on contribution instead of the impressiveness of consumption to see the true beauty in people.
  • MMF007
    MMF007 Posts: 1,375 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 22 August 2017 at 9:41PM
    Options
    VJsmum, you're welcome! :)

Yes, kondo that 'friend', Mrs Porridge.
    I also had a long term friend who was a massive burden, tbh.
    She only ever had bad news, woes and anxieties. For YEARS I persevered, trying to offer comfort, hope etc but it was very, very difficult. I always felt like i was treading on eggshells and one wrong word would send her over the edge. So I stopped sending cards and emails.

After quite some months she emailed asking me to support a planning application for her boyfriend but it was not something I felt I could do. I emailed to say that I didn't mind her asking but i would not be writing to the council. She went mad, demanding to know why not! I did not reply. I saw no reason to 'justify' myself. I heard no more from her.
    Oh, on reflection it seems she kondo'd me :rotfl:

Hi Polly, You were kind enough to send me some helpful info back in May when my tooth needed kondo-ing :D. I am about to discuss the proposed the tooth implant with my dentist because the bone has nearly healed sufficiently, I am told. The cost is bothering me more than the procedure :rotfl:
    I have changed my work-life balance to a life-work balance. :grin:
  • greenbee
    greenbee Posts: 16,141 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I had the same issue when I had my implant done MMF. I tried leaving the old tooth out for the tooth fairy in the hope that she'd cough up for a new one, but instead got a VERY rude note about how adults should look after their teeth properly. I have to say I was shocked that a fairy would use such language...
  • GreyQueen
    GreyQueen Posts: 13,008 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    greenbee wrote: »
    I had the same issue when I had my implant done MMF. I tried leaving the old tooth out for the tooth fairy in the hope that she'd cough up for a new one, but instead got a VERY rude note about how adults should look after their teeth properly. I have to say I was shocked that a fairy would use such language...
    :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

Thank you for my first giggle of the day!

I also have parted with my embroidery threads as I feel that is a phase which has passed and someone else might get the benefit. I have two boxes of fabric bits and trimmings, neither very big, which I delve into occasionally for sewing projects. I wouldn't like to be without them but I do limit my stash to these containers and have to be quite ruthless when offered fabric, as there is simply nowhere to keep stuff I may never get around to using.

Although there are a dozen frustrations each day to living in such a small space, it does forcibly impose some discipline about Stuff, and lifestyle in general, which I feel as a positive.

Gawd knows what trouble I could get myself into if I had the use of a loft, or outbuildings or a garage (or even worse, all three!).
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 12,492 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    people do tend to be on one of three groups, energy givers, energy suckers and neutral neither giving nor taking. Energy suckers are not good, they can appear bubbly and pleasant on the surface but they leave one drained. I ditched those over time, especially one I used to go riding with, eventually she had a tantrum because I went riding with a neutral friend. Showed me how much she had leant on me and I was well out of it. I moved to this small village 7 years ago and have always kept my distance, always helpful, pleasant and chatty but it is so much easier, with this virtual space, I am never the subject of gossip. I have had a lifetime of people leaning on me, that is ok in small doses but the ones that leave me exhausted, well no thanks, not any more

Seeds are kondoed, I wrote my next year rotation last year and any oad seeds have gone plus any I will definitely not be growing, three boxes into one, did it! Sitting in an old but very effective massage chair last night, it was working on my back muscles, I decided to tackle Ella, her two books that I have never used. Skimmed through and so many had ingredients that give me reflux but I wanted some recipes and cba writing them out, so tore the pages out to put into a small file. The heavy dense books will be out into recycling

I am going to have to keep an update in my house file wrt amounts of oils and paints needed, what make and colour and when. I ordered online, 2 x 1 litre of garden sheds cuprinol, to match a 1/3 full 2.5 litre can. The outbuilding end looked thirsty but it wasn`t, I finished the exposed preserved end yesterday and still have not quite emptied the old can. Doh, I now have two unopened 1 litre cans to store but will keep them in case they withdraw the colour.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure