The MSE Forum will be undergoing some maintenance this evening. As a result, some users may experience temporary performance issues. Please use the Site Feedback board to report anything major. Thank you for your patience.

NEW THREAD: Cheapest iPhones article

Comments

• jetfighter
    jetfighter Posts: 249
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    Forumite
    grumbler wrote: »
    I see. So the monthly £34.95 figure included £10 for giffgaff?
    My apologies for misunderstanding.

Yes that's right. :) Sorry for being unclear!
  • R34GTT
    R34GTT Posts: 424 Forumite
    edited 7 October 2011 at 1:42PM
    I was considering buying from Apple and sticking with my £8 per month Talkmobile micro sim. However after analysing some different tariffs from Vodafone in a spreadsheet, a 12 month contract for the 64GB version works out at £9.42 per month if you subtract the RRP of the phone from the total annual cost. This includes subtracting Vodafone cashback of £59 and Quidco cashback of £40. Upfront cost is £299.

((£51*12)+£299-£59-£49-£699)/12=£9.42

For the effective £9.42 tariff element of the contract I get 1200 mins, unlimited texts, 750MB data and the 25MB a day when abroad in Europe. Plus I don't have to stump up £699 in one go. I'm not 100% doing it yet, but it is very tempting.
  • crockpot
    crockpot Posts: 631 Forumite
    I was thinking of buying phone from Pple £499 and getting a micro sim from 3 for £15 a month on a 30 day contract, so will work out at £680 over 12 months.

Or anyone any idea when tesco will have there prices out?
  • jetfighter
    jetfighter Posts: 249
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    Forumite
    crockpot wrote: »
    I was thinking of buying phone from Pple £499 and getting a micro sim from 3 for £15 a month on a 30 day contract, so will work out at £680 over 12 months.

I seem to remember Tesco being quite slow last time... certainly slower than the major networks. Is that right? My memory is a bit hazy, hmm. They may be quicker this time though, knowing the demand will be high.

Have you looked at GiffGaff? They offer 30-day packages starting at £10 per month with unlimited data, with no contract. They use the O2 network so coverage isn't an issue. Still trying to find the catch!
  • Bella_b
    Bella_b Posts: 859 Forumite
    I'm on Giffgaff and couldn't be happier with them! They offer payg services.. top up only or one off monthy "goodybay" options.

I'm not a big phone user and they track how many mins/calls you make and send you an email regarding which of their packages is best for you. Mine is just simple standard pricing at 10p min call and 6p text. Some goodybags have unlimited calls or unlimited txts. The goodbags last for 1 month and they are a good idea, they don't roll over unless you buy another one. If the goodybag ends and you dont buy another then you just go back to standard pricing. They have data goodybags coming out soon for people who have tablets.. and blackberry services like push email coming soon too! :) I'm really happy with them. If you recommend them then you can they give you money for each person you recommend. I'm not into that but I've heard people who have earnt hundreds of pounds!

At the moment with quidco you can get £5 cashback when you order a free sim from Giffgaff. :D
  • diadeb
    diadeb Posts: 91
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    jetfighter wrote: »
    I was trying to say that I would be spending the equivalent of £34.95 per month by buying the phone upfront for £599 (with money I have!) and then £10 per month on GiffGaff. To illustrate that if you can afford it, buying upfront works out cheaper in the long term. I can't imagine there are any contracts offering a free iPhone 4S 32GB for £34.95 per month. (I may be proven wrong.)

To clarify, I paid £599 for the phone upfront, from money I have. No loans. I will be paying £10 per month to GiffGaff. Over the course of 24 months, which is the standard contract length, I will have spent £839 in total. Divided by 24, this is £34.95.

That's good to know someone else has done the maths. I felt that was probably the case, so I've been hanging on awaiting to see what happens with models versus prices. I can feel a purchase coming this side of Christmas at least!
    MFiT-T3 Number 61 Reduce mortgage by £50000
    Mar 13 £5660/11.32% June 13 £12513/25.03% Sept 13 £16951/33.90% Sept 14 £38391/78.78% paid off
    MFiT-T2 Number 34 Reduce mortgage by £66471
    Dec 12 100% paid off!
  • EnzoMan
    EnzoMan Posts: 32 Forumite
    crockpot wrote: »

How do you find the 3 network? I keep hearing bad thing's but their prices seem pretty fair for the amount of mins and data they are offering.

I've pre ordered my iPhone 4S from Apple and I'm waiting to get a micro sim which has the best data and min allowance, so far that seems to be giffgaff...
  • EnzoMan wrote: »
    How do you find the 3 network? I keep hearing bad thing's but their prices seem pretty fair for the amount of mins and data they are offering.

I've pre ordered my iPhone 4S from Apple and I'm waiting to get a micro sim which has the best data and min allowance, so far that seems to be giffgaff...

Sorry to butt in but had to reply. I'm with 3, I have a HTC Wildfire, it was the cheapest package at the time but I wouldn't use them again, their network coverage is awful and phone keeps cutting off mid call. I thought perhaps it was our area but my husband's friend has an iphone on the network too and he says a lot of their calls cut off midway through a conversation.
  • decsdad
    decsdad Posts: 265
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Ok, I have an iPhone in three, no problems, never cut off, and I have been with them 10 years( Mysore and son too, no issues). Which is a good thing as you really dintwant to have to phone their customer services, 0/10.
    Get a free three payg sim and see if you get a good signal at home, work etc then you'll know what to expect.
  • pauled
    pauled Posts: 101 Forumite
    EnzoMan wrote: »

I've used Three for 3years and find it great,don't have any coverage issues where I need go use phone and nice fast internet.

uswitch seem to like them too I notice -

http://www.uswitch.com/mobiles/awards/2011/best_network/
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport