What is the average electricity units per day?

I have searched on the internet and cant seem to find anything! We are currently using 18 units on the normal rate , and 4 units on the night time. We dont use a dishwasher,use tumble dryer maybe once a week(if that,try to dry as much on clothes horse/radiators when their on!)
We have an immersion heater for our hot water,which goes on for 20-30 mins in the evening.Everything else is gas.

Comments

• Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,036 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    The average UK electricity consumption for houses with gas for heating is 3,300 kWh(units) a year. Approx 9 units a day.

So at 22 units a day you are using twice the UK average.

It is also very unlikely that using 18% (4 night/18 day) at night that it is worth you being on an Economy 7 tariff as you pay more for all your daytime electricity.

Why use an immersion heater(especially in the evening!) when you have gas?
    Gas is much cheaper!
  • sparklewing
    sparklewing Posts: 455 Forumite
    I use 9 - 10 units a day.

Me and my husband are in the house pretty much 24/7. We work from home so have computer x2, tv, radio, lights on all day. No tumble dryer.

Your usage sounds quite high.
  • mikeopvc
    mikeopvc Posts: 912 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Just reading this forum and thought I'd do a check on how much we use in our home, I'm not sure if I calculated right but I worked it out to be around 29 units per day.
    That's got to be wrong if all the above are anything to go by, we have gas heating so how could it be so high?
    Wodering if something is wrong with the new meter as we had it changed from prepay to monthly direct debit just before christmas.
  • espresso
    espresso Posts: 16,446 Forumite
    mikeopvc wrote: »
    Just reading this forum and thought I'd do a check on how much we use in our home, I'm not sure if I calculated right but I worked it out to be around 29 units per day.
    That's got to be wrong if all the above are anything to go by, we have gas heating so how could it be so high?
    Wodering if something is wrong with the new meter as we had it changed from prepay to monthly direct debit just before christmas.

:confused:

When you say calculated, do you mean present reading minus reading 24 hours earlier?
    :doh: Blue text on this forum usually signifies hyperlinks, so click on them!..:wall:
  • mikeopvc
    mikeopvc Posts: 912 Forumite
    I already had my latest gas and electric bill out as I was in the process of searching mse with a view to switching providers, basicall my electric bill shows as:
    953 kwh used over 32 days and 110 kwh used over 4 days
    average of this is 29.53 kwh over 36 days.
    please tell me I'm doing it wrong
  • We have always used the immersion for hot water since we moved in 4 years ago( landlord told us this is how we warm up the water)
    Our central heating control has a timer, but we cannot just switch to just water/just heating its both. Which is a pain having to keep turning the valves on and off each day,so thus, been using immersion!
    Just switched off every appliance in the house,and switched the immersion on, nearly had a fit at the speed it sped round! Had a worry it was the old fridge and freezer we had, but its obviously not!
  • moonrakerz
    moonrakerz Posts: 8,650 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Don't forget that the figure Cardew quoted is an average. Some people will be higher than that some will be lower.
    Also it is winter: you will have the lights on more, you will be using the tumbler more, cooking different meals, even running the gas central heating will use more electricity.
    Over the last 60 days my "average" has been 14.8, in the summer it will be lower than that.
  • Cardew
    We have always used the immersion for hot water since we moved in 4 years ago( landlord told us this is how we warm up the water)
    Our central heating control has a timer, but we cannot just switch to just water/just heating its both. Which is a pain having to keep turning the valves on and off each day,so thus, been using immersion!
    Just switched off every appliance in the house,and switched the immersion on, nearly had a fit at the speed it sped round! Had a worry it was the old fridge and freezer we had, but its obviously not!

Most Immersions are 3kW. So if you have it on for 20 minutes it will use 1kWh. If you have it on longer it will switch itself off /on as it is thermostatically controlled.

You have a strange CH system that won't allow you to have hot water only.
    Even so if you are using the CH for radiators you should still have it for both HW and heating as it is much cheaper to heat water. That applies even if that means the HW is on for hours, once the tank is full of HW it will not use any more gas.

In summer shut off the Heating by using the valves and still use gas - or get a timer and have your immersion heater on at night using the cheap economy 7.
    If your tank is lagged it will stay hot.
  • Cardew
    mikeopvc wrote: »
    I already had my latest gas and electric bill out as I was in the process of searching mse with a view to switching providers, basicall my electric bill shows as:
    953 kwh used over 32 days and 110 kwh used over 4 days
    average of this is 29.53 kwh over 36 days.
    please tell me I'm doing it wrong

Doing what wrong?

If that consumption is correct, and not based on estimated meter readings, you are using a lot of electricity.

As moonrakerz states, you will use more in the winter, but you are likely to use about 3 times the UK average.
  • dori2o
    dori2o Posts: 8,150 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Between 02/11/06 and 06/12/07 I used 7256KWh in electric. That is over 399 days so around 18.2 units per day.

I live in a 2 bed mid terraced, full GCH, no immersion. TV(Sky/DVD) on from about 9am to 12pm, (mainly for background noise during day) Elec Cooker (Energy rating A) 2 fridge freezers (1 rated A the other rated C) Kitchen light on all day and night for dog, bathroom light on all day and night for kids, Computer on 4-5 hours in the evening, plus kids portable TV 2-3 hours at night.

Don't think that is too bad.

We have to have lights on most of the time as our house has small windows ans is facing the wrong way to allow enough natural light in.
    [SIZE=-1]To equate judgement and wisdom with occupation is at best . . . insulting.
    [/SIZE]
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport