PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

KonMari 2016 - The Life Changing Magic of Tidying Up

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 12,492 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    I just put 2 cans of water on essental plants in pots, all tree types, crab apple, acer, lilacs. :j so very much easier since kondo, when it would have been six cans all over. Some raised rectangular beds are now semperviviums, pinks and dwarf lilacs and can be neglected but still look lovely

Did a small kondo from fridge and freezer this morning, I have 7 empty bags, very happy

Parcelforce didn`t come :mad: and as usual, tracking said attempted delivery and card left, lies, rang up and they said it would come today, so another day of waiting in. I am so ready to get those small drawers done. Consoled myself with getting washed bedding out

UFOs, oh yes that is me, I have three carvings to finish but good in a way as it is easy to pack my trolley for carving group, no dithering about what to take. Also knitting and only the last sleeve and it is in plain sight but I am not feeling the urge, like I did in winter

Allotment is fully done and baby plants are getting big at the house. At that moment in time, of suspended animation, waiting
  • Knit_Witch
    Knit_Witch Posts: 4,436 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    I also have the Startitis disease :o, so this year I am determined to Kondo (finish) some UFO/WIPs - got one sweater done and now working on a needlepoint!
    Must use my stash up!
  • greenbee
    greenbee Posts: 16,140 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    I'm good at having ideas and starting things off. Not so good at finishing. You need to work to your strengths. No point forcing yourself to finish stuff if you're no longer interested in it. What are you going to do with the finished projects?
  • YorksLass
    YorksLass Posts: 1,710 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Most of the stuff is craft UFOs, a bit of a weakness of mine. I find them so hard to deal with because I've invested time in them (and sometimes money, too). I'm promising myself that I won't start any new projects till I've sorted these. I think I'll list them all in my bullet journal and maybe that will help me to be realistic. How do others deal with UFOs, or are you all so good that you don't have any?

Oh yes, I have them alright. :D My nemesis is knitting - or rather the "sewing up of knitting". I've currently got several sweaters/cardis (not sure how many) waiting in the wings to be sewn up and have another 3 in progress on the needles. I'd love to find a sewing-up fairy to do the sewing for me. :rotfl:

At least the yarn is in order now, packed into clear lidded storage boxes and I have a (long) list of types/amounts/colours so I know what I've got. I promised myself I wouldn't buy any more until I've used up the stash and so far this year I haven't. But I do catch myself looking longingly at new yarns - it's so, so hard to walk away without indulging.

The other one is fabric. I used to do a lot of sewing, both machine and hand, but now it's confined to running repairs of clothing and sometimes curtains, cushion covers and the like. So there's a lot of fabric to Kondo chez moi. :o
    Be kind to others and to yourself too.
  • Charly27
    Charly27 Posts: 602 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    So like that quote BumbleBeany so I have just copied it. I'm like a magpie for quotes and I made myself google how to copy a big chunk of text on the iPad so I've learnt something new.
    I can relate to the UFO's. Sometimes I can be brave and let them go. I finished a 'rug' from the CS once. Mind it must have been a rug meant to be framed and go on the wall or to be used in a playhouse neither of which I could see the point! I enjoyed making it but didn't like the subject so I let it go. Oh and I took a photograph of it but I'm even less inclined to do that now as it adds to my digital clutter. I guess PWD you could just ask THE BIG KM question and then sing let it go if it doesn't.
    I was supposed to have my return to work interview today but it's been postponed until Friday. Quite hard for a teacher, especially this one who has to Kondo working at weekends. I will tackle it tomorrow after I've given it some thought and myself a good talking to. I've actually only not planned for my class for about 7 days even though I've been away two full weeks and two part weeks. I can still do this.
    Today I went up to the Lottie and Kondoed even more weeds. The onions, garlic and shallots can breathe and grow! I chucked in some poached egg seeds and a couple of clumps of calendula and a row of Tagetes. Some of the seeds are dated 2011 but I've lost nothing if they don't germinate have I? I took my potting she'd radio to small electricals (bit sad as that's the radio I bought when I left my husband and home in 2003 but it's had a good life and couldn't be mended)😢
    I also recycled about 2 dozen plastic coat hangers from DD's wardrobe, a black plastic box that blew onto my allotment years ago and I've never used plus another sack of timber:T
    ‘One of our greatest freedoms is how we react to things’ said Mole.Cross stitch cafe WIP ‘The Best is yet to come’ Emma Congham & ‘A Year in the Life of’ HSC. TaDa Welcome
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 12,492 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    muji arrived and I`ve finished the make up drawer, everything is now easily handy. I especially like the mirror lid, which fits on a box in the drawer and it has a stand on the other side. I pretty well did the other drawers but needed to step away as I was getting bogged down. I over-ordered slightly ie one small container and a few lids for the whole size boxes but I was thinking ahead. The lids will meantime store under the boxes and can be used in future changes. I love muji stuff, it is so simple and well made and will outlast me. A few things kondo`ed but its pretty well in order now. Loads of paper packaging, will be shredded over the next few days and taken to the allotment as is good for adding to my compost

Cycling beckoned so I did just 4 miles but there were a couple of hills and the rest was easy and pleasurable. I do like being in with nature and saw something like a small stoat run across the road. No cars or people passed :D
  • GreyQueen
    GreyQueen Posts: 13,008 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    :) Evening all.

Sitting here with my jacket on, having just come in from the allotment (sunny but perishing) and am waiting on a pal pulling up in her car outside any second - we're about to go on mercy mission for vast quantities of sausagemeat in a village several miles away. And her a vegetablarian, too.

:D Sometimes I find myself wondering what it'd be like to have a normal life - boring, probably.:rotfl:

Oh, and there was also a mention of clearing some shelves, dangling options like that in front of a kondo-ite is like putting truffles in front of a piggie.

Have taken a bagful of stuff to one of my fave chazzers and asked about a category of item I wasn't sure they'd take and it turns out that these things sell like hotcakes and they'd be only too delighted to have them.

Have also sorted a fair bit of Stuff at the pal's shop inc Georgian silver and utility bills. Comments during the morning varied from Don't tread on Charles II's sword! and How much?!

:o
    C2 is a statuette, btw, not the real deal.

ONWARDS!
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)
  • Floss
    Floss Posts: 8,244 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    YorksLass wrote: »
    Oh yes, I have them alright. :D My nemesis is knitting - or rather the "sewing up of knitting". I've currently got several sweaters/cardis (not sure how many) waiting in the wings to be sewn up and have another 3 in progress on the needles. I'd love to find a sewing-up fairy to do the sewing for me. :rotfl:

YorksLass I actually quite like the sewing-up, It's the actual knitting that gets me down! If you are ever over my way on the Lancashire coast, bring your bits of knitting with you! ;)
    2021 Decluttering Awards: ⭐⭐🥇🥇🥇🥇🥇🥇 2022 Decluttering Awards: 🥇
    2023 Decluttering Awards: 🥇 🏅🏅🥇
    2024 Decluttering Awards: 🥇
  • ivyleaf
    ivyleaf Posts: 6,431 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    grunnie wrote: »
    Ready cut rugs were a kit of printed canvas and short bits of wool and a hook to loop the wool through the canvas.http://www.readicut.co.uk/rugs/latch-hook-rug-kits.html

Goodness, those are dreadful! Obviously they don't do "proper" rugs anymore. I made one in 1972, with a white background and flowers/foliage in several colours so I wouldn't get bored :o:D It was expensive (pure wool in those days), I remember I paid in instalments, but I had that rug by my bed for a very long time. I even put it through a very gentle machine wash a few times! On a sunny day, so it could dry over the washing line.

One of my friends still has one she made in plain dark green - I couldn't have done that, too boring.
  • camelot1001
    camelot1001 Posts: 6,005 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    I remember my DM making a rug and trying to get my brother and I involved - she had a wooden thingy for winding the wool round to cut it into the right length pieces. I probably did a row of actual rugging and my brother nothing at all. All I can remember is that it was brown with some multi coloured bits and never used!

I'm with you Yorklass but I have just made myself sew up some baby booties and hats as I'm fed up with them nagging me from the sidelines.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure