London Capital and Finance

Comments

• badger09
    badger09 Posts: 11,200 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    jimjames wrote: »
    Out of interest does anyone have the address? I'm that way over weekend and may have a little look....

Here you go jj - scroll down to the pink bar at the bottom

https://www.londoncapitalandfinance.co.uk/about-lcf

The pub's ok - if a little pretentious. But then it is near (Royal) Tunbridge Wells:p

http://www.brunningandprice.co.uk/nevillcrestandgun/

Enjoy:beer:
  • badger09
    badger09 Posts: 11,200 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    mositt wrote: »
    Forgive a newbe for jumping in with slightly different investment warning. Found this thread after googling best savings rates to find out where to invest the proceeds from two accounts which are maturing this month (5 yrs ago you could get 5% fixed interest!) This LC&F seemed attractive but I have learned over the years that if it seems too good to be true etc. and agree with everyone who warned against it. Maybe I need to start a new thread? The investments I want to warn about are films. Several years ago I followed internet links and invested in several 'guaranteed' investment opportunities with promises of royalties, with all sorts of legal-sounding assurances & signatures, trailers, posters advertising the films. I gradually got sucked into investing in 4 films and £80,000, all of which turned out to be scams and the swindlers disappeared with the money. there doesn't seem to be any way of getting the money back. Fraud are not interested. So beware!! M

Probably better to start a new thread.

This sort of 'investment' crops up fairly regularly on here, but warnings from experience might be useful to casual readers of this forum:)
  • jimjames
    jimjames Posts: 17,592 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    badger09 wrote: »
    Here you go jj - scroll down to the pink bar at the bottom

https://www.londoncapitalandfinance.co.uk/about-lcf

The pub's ok - if a little pretentious. But then it is near (Royal) Tunbridge Wells:p

http://www.brunningandprice.co.uk/nevillcrestandgun/

Enjoy:beer:

Yes, I go past that pub a fair bit.

Companies house have some info, anyone read more into it?
    http://www.companieshousedata.co.uk/c/08140312

They have 2 mortgages, would you expect that for a property company raising funds?
    Remember the saying: if it looks too good to be true it almost certainly is.
  • bowlhead99
    bowlhead99 Posts: 12,295 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Post of the Month
    jimjames wrote: »
    They have 2 mortgages, would you expect that for a property company raising funds?
    Yes, as a long term commercial mortgage or two on their own office premises will likely be cheaper than the 8% which is demanded by people funding the investment portfolio by way of retail bonds.
  • mositt
    mositt Posts: 7 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I'll try to start a new thread. M
  • Hi Everyone. I think the point of this thread has been lost. I know I am new and so not an expert at these things but surely there are only two things to consider here.
    1) Is this a reliable company - companies can make or lose money but if they have a good history then they are a safer bet than someone who has regularly lost money in the past. Checking on companies history they have been around since 1987. This would give me confidence if it was a continuous business record, but they have been registered under a dozen other names in this time and keep changing addresses. So do they just change their name, or is this a sign of instability and covering losses? Bottom line - are they an ongoing concern or a continually resurrected disaster? How do you find out?

2) Are the warnings just standard for this type of investment because of occasional losses, or is total loss of funds a regular thing? A good return with 99% chance of success is very interesting even if there is a 1% chance of loss. But a 50% chance of losing everything suddenly looks a lot less interesting!

So anyone actually give any pointers as to how to sensibly assess this type of risk for someone who may have enough money to risk some of it but not wanting to literally throw it in the bin?
  • O1979
    O1979 Posts: 4 Newbie
    I have an account with money capital and finance. I found out the first £1000 interest is not meant too be taxed. With London Capital and finance the interest is taxed 20%. Also I thought the interest gain off 8% is not worth the risk off losing the bulk to get that interest return because at the end off the set period off 1-2 or 3 years with London Capital
    and Finance. The investor could
    run into some problems getting their £30000 or whatever they invest back off the company.
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,296 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    2) Are the warnings just standard for this type of investment because of occasional losses, or is total loss of funds a regular thing? A good return with 99% chance of success is very interesting even if there is a 1% chance of loss. But a 50% chance of losing everything suddenly looks a lot less interesting!

You cant put odds on failure. Lehmans failed. What odds on failure would they have got pre credit crunch?

This is not a retail product. It is a direct investment with no consumer protection if it goes wrong. i.e. 100% loss potential with no FSCS protection. Not suitable for inexperienced investors. However, as part of a balanced portfolio of shares and fixed interest securities, it could have a place.

Do you have a balanced portfolio of shares and fixed interest securities?
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • O1979
    O1979 Posts: 4 Newbie
    The interest is taxed 20% and the 8 % interest is not worth the risk getting because no garentee the full invest will get back after 1-2 or 3 years.
  • Most companies deduct 20% standard tax from interest payments unless you can show them you do not pay tax. They cant know what other investments and interest you get. But when you fill your tax return you enter earnings and interest, and tax paid. If you paid too much you will get a rebate. But be aware that tax on savings is at your highest rate and also I understood there is no £1000 free interest allowance for higher tax rate payers. So you could actually be liable for more. Make sure you check your own allowance and obligations.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback