Everything & Anything New York City

Comments

• pompeyrich
    pompeyrich Posts: 3,135 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    stuartmck wrote: »
    We're booking a cruise (Dover - New York) for September 2018. So far a lot of our 'usual' hotel websites (booking.com for example) aren't booking that far ahead and the ones which are (expedia) are showing low/no availability in a lot of hotels.

Are hotels likely to be booked up this early for next September, or have they just not released many rooms as of yet?

Can anyone share any insight?

Thanks

I would think, and it's only that no inside knowledge, that you are looking too far in advance as there seem to be plenty of rooms available for this Sep, 2017.
  • phatbear
    phatbear Posts: 4,032 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    As pompeyrich said its a tad early for sept 18.

Be aware that the hotels may be a tad more expensive in sept as they have new york fashion week and the us open over the first 2 weeks of the month so demand for hotels tends to be quite high
    Live each day like its your last because one day you'll be right
  • bobbyhibs
    bobbyhibs Posts: 642 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    hi

unsure if it ll help much but when i was planning my trip for last year i wanted to book it up dead early and well a travel agent whom is a freind of my sisters told me its normally 11months in advance you can do flight-hotels.

hope this helps
  • Hello,

New to MSE forums, my partner and I are off to New Yrok as part of our honeymoon next month, we only have a couple of days there and wanted to see as much as possible while there, I've made an itinerary, any thoughts or suggestions would be really appreciated.

Saturday 1st July
    0900 leave Heathrow
    1140 arrive @ JFK
    Clear customs, get bags and subway to Grand central station
    1400 arrive approx @ hotel
    Wonder along 5th avenue
    Food?!
    Central Park wonder about
    1900 Top of the Rock, watch sunset/Manhattan light up

Sunday 2nd July
    Walk to Staten Island ferry, SOL
    9/11 memorial/One tower
    Lunch
    Wall Street/St Pauls church
    Subway to Brooklyn
    Brooklyn bridge park
    Walk over Brooklyn bridge towards Manhattan
    Subway to hotel
    Dinner @ Musket Room

Monday 3rd July
    Walk to ESB
    The High line
    Times Square
    Lunch?
    New York library
    Grand central station
    Yankees match

Tuesday 4th July
    Up early to JFK,
    Fly to Miami at 0630

:beer:
  • WolfSong2000
    WolfSong2000 Posts: 1,736 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Just an FYI for people but there are some crazy cheap last minute flight deals to NY at the moment. I booked a flight last Saturday, flying out on 22nd May from London for under £350. Not sure if this is of any use to anyone but figured I'd share :)
  • dipsy
    dipsy Posts: 3,137 Forumite
    Duckyduck wrote: »
    MTA pass is a travel pass giving you unlimited use of the subways (and buses, but you probably won't use them) for the duration of the pass. If you're flying to JFK to can use to take the subway to/from the city (plus $5 for the airport section, you pay at the airport station). Keep hold of the ticket and use it to go in/out the barriers at subway stations, really simple. easiest place to get one is from a vending machine at any subway station, you can pay by cash or cards.

Its not valid to Newark airport, if you're flying there the easiest cheapish way to Manhattan is to take the NJTransit train, which is about $15 IIRC.

Sorry for being thick, is this a Metro card that you buy for a $1 and top up or what is the best way of doing this? thanks in advance
    2007 £1749
    2008 £291.99
    2009 JanMasscara £7.00 Feb megcabot books x 2 £20 XFactor tkts x 2 £58.00 (couldn't go though as they only phoned on day :-( ) foundation £7.99
    total so far for 09 £92.99
  • Ganga
    Ganga Posts: 4,149 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 16 May 2017 at 3:51PM
    Cumberland wrote: »
    Hello,

New to MSE forums, my partner and I are off to New Yrok as part of our honeymoon next month, we only have a couple of days there and wanted to see as much as possible while there, I've made an itinerary, any thoughts or suggestions would be really appreciated.

Saturday 1st July
    0900 leave Heathrow
    1140 arrive @ JFK
    Clear customs, get bags and subway to Grand central station
    1400 arrive approx @ hotel
    Wonder along 5th avenue
    Food?!
    Central Park wonder about
    1900 Top of the Rock, watch sunset/Manhattan light up

Sunday 2nd July
    Walk to Staten Island ferry, SOL
    9/11 memorial/One tower
    Lunch
    Wall Street/St Pauls church
    Subway to Brooklyn
    Brooklyn bridge park
    Walk over Brooklyn bridge towards Manhattan
    Subway to hotel
    Dinner @ Musket Room

Monday 3rd July
    Walk to ESB
    The High line
    Times Square
    Lunch?
    New York library
    Grand central station
    Yankees match

Tuesday 4th July
    Up early to JFK,
    Fly to Miami at 0630

:beer:

Is that 6.30 in the morning?,you will have to be up very early as about 1 hour to JFK airport and i presume about one and a half hours for check in.

Also which area are you staying in as you intend to walk to staten island ferry,a long walk from say midtown.
    ITS NOT EASY TO GET EVERYTHING WRONG ,I HAVE TO WORK HARD TO DO IT!
  • pompeyrich
    pompeyrich Posts: 3,135 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    dipsy wrote: »
    Sorry for being thick, is this a Metro card that you buy for a $1 and top up or what is the best way of doing this? thanks in advance

It's quite confusing, you top up the Metro card with cash and can then use it as a pay per trip card, similar to Oyster, which deducts each journey made from your total. With this type of top up you can share a card and pass it back through the gate for the next person to use, obviously it will take an amount for each person as they use it.

Or you can buy time on the card, the minimum is 7 days for $32, this gives you unlimited metro and MTA standard bus journeys but you need a card each for this method.

The "breakeven" point is around 13 individual journeys, less and you're better off paying for each journey, more and the 7 day card works out better value.

We were there for 5 days and opted for the 7 day card and felt it was good value and saved the hassle of topping up.

More details HERE but not overly easy to understand!
  • flea72
    flea72 Posts: 5,392 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Cumberland wrote: »
    Hello,

Saturday 1st July
    0900 leave Heathrow
    1900 Top of the Rock, watch sunset/Manhattan light up.

So arrive heathrow at 6am and youll still be awake for TotR at midnight uk time? Id be a tad jaded come the evening, and 7pm seems fairly early for sunset in july. its also the 4th July, id expect tourist places to be more rammed than usual, especially restaurants
  • dipsy
    dipsy Posts: 3,137 Forumite
    pompeyrich wrote: »
    It's quite confusing, you top up the Metro card with cash and can then use it as a pay per trip card, similar to Oyster, which deducts each journey made from your total. With this type of top up you can share a card and pass it back through the gate for the next person to use, obviously it will take an amount for each person as they use it.

Or you can buy time on the card, the minimum is 7 days for $32, this gives you unlimited metro and MTA standard bus journeys but you need a card each for this method.

The "breakeven" point is around 13 individual journeys, less and you're better off paying for each journey, more and the 7 day card works out better value.

We were there for 5 days and opted for the 7 day card and felt it was good value and saved the hassle of topping up.

More details HERE but not overly easy to understand!

thank you for the link/information

Quick question

is one journey classed every time you leave a station

ie get on departure station and leave station (1) then go back go to next stop (2), then get back on and go back to start point (3)

is that 3 journeys ?

Also, are you able to use on the buses, looks like you can but just thought I would ask

thanks very much for your help
    2007 £1749
    2008 £291.99
    2009 JanMasscara £7.00 Feb megcabot books x 2 £20 XFactor tkts x 2 £58.00 (couldn't go though as they only phoned on day :-( ) foundation £7.99
    total so far for 09 £92.99
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport