Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Retro.Monkey90
    • By Retro.Monkey90 15th Nov 16, 12:20 PM
    • 69Posts
    • 219Thanks
    Retro.Monkey90
    Little by little....to be MF
    • 15th Nov 16, 12:20 PM
    Little by little....to be MF 15th Nov 16 at 12:20 PM
    So I have been lurking for about a year now and I feel like it's time to start my own diary on my journey to being MF! I'm also seeing it as another step of encouraging progress that keeps me motivated and eager to be frugal.

Our mortgage is at the moment a touch under £128k and it was £134k when we bought our new build house in 2014. We are on the Scottish Help to Buy scheme, therefore our equity is 80% of the value of our house, which is currently £190k (just to put it into perspective). BF and I bought the house as first time buyers, so we are determined to start making a dent in the mortgage as soon as possible. Our OPs at the moment are a meager £75 as a SO, but this is already cutting 4 years and 8 months off the term! So original date was September 2044 and now we are on January 2040.

BF and I are both on average salaries and are doing everything we can at the moment to cut back as a series of unfortunate events has forced us to be uber-frugal. However, I intend on keeping it going and doing more to save so that we can throw everything (within reason) at the mortgage. Also planning a few big purchases this year and next which we need to save and budget for.

As this is my first post, I'm not sure what else to say other than any help or suggestions would be grand! Also hope this diary will not bore you all to death
Page 2
    • Retro.Monkey90
    • By Retro.Monkey90 17th Jan 17, 9:28 AM
    • 69 Posts
    • 219 Thanks
    Retro.Monkey90
    Quick update after a long break as there isn't much going on at the moment! TT 90p today so total for the month so far including some interest from the Tesco account is £10.77 so still off target for £20. I have changed my monthly goal to £15 and will see how that goes. Had to pay for our ESTA for our USA trip in March so hopefully that is the very last thing we have to pay for before we go apart from those dollaaz.

Trying to be very frugal with shopping as well which seems to be going well, and a planned 3-day diet means very little food anyway!! Heaven help me as it is a 1200 calorie diet

Retro x
    Original Mortgage: £134k Sept 2044 Current Mortgage: £126k Neutral Oct 2039
    Ideal goal: TBC
    Bonus OPs made 2017: 7 total= £159.91
    Save
    Save
    • Retro.Monkey90
    • By Retro.Monkey90 27th Jan 17, 9:28 AM
    • 69 Posts
    • 219 Thanks
    Retro.Monkey90
    Morning all,

Very chilly here in Scotland today. Did not enjoy scraping the windscreen this morning

However, I TT £1 again this morning meaning all the end of month £1 TT have added up to over £20! So I have met my target TT even though I thought I wouldn't and might have to re-do it. Think as I have been doing them everyday this month compared to last month I have managed a few more £1 ones which add up. So even though we are so low this month (thanks Janaury!) managing to make over £20 of a bonus OP is a great achievement for me. It might be so small compared to other people, but at least we can do that and it isn't £20 spent on something that doesn't mean anything!

Hope everyone has a good weekend OPing and being MSE
    Retro x

PS diet is going well-ish (few nights out) and helping the purse strings as it is very little meat and all veg!
    Save
    Save
    Save
    • Retro.Monkey90
    • By Retro.Monkey90 6th Feb 17, 1:51 PM
    • 69 Posts
    • 219 Thanks
    Retro.Monkey90
    Ooops I haven't been keeping up with my diary! But I did manage to make a bonus OP of £24.03 for January! I didn't think I was going to manage the £20 OPs but the last few days of the month there are no DDs so there are a few £1 TT that add up. So I might keep it as it is for the time being. However, January has been a bit tight with paying for two CC now we are in an overlap and also my BF has his birthday tomorrow! It is always annoying it being so close to Christmas but what can you do

Quite happy with the OP and my diet has helped with groceries as we haven't bought any more booze or naughty foods, and sheer quantity has dropped so it is helping to lower the grocery bill this month. Pooch needed her boosters and flea stuff so that was a cool £120 just for her as well! Why do Boxers have to cost an arm and a leg?! She is beautiful though and such a clown we can't moan too much as she is such a healthy pup

Finished the majority of the decorating in our lounge this weekend so I am feeling much more settled in our magnolia palace that is a new build house! It is a wonder what a bit of polystyrene cornicing and paint can do to a room

Enough of the yarning on, hope you all have an MSE week
    Retro x
    Save
    Save
    Save
    Save
    • Retro.Monkey90
    • By Retro.Monkey90 27th Feb 17, 9:24 AM
    • 69 Posts
    • 219 Thanks
    Retro.Monkey90
    Morning all, long break again due to holiday preparations, busy work schedule and lots of family visits! Lots of spending unfortunately as we I needed some things for our holiday. Getting so excited now to have three blissful weeks in America exploring and eating! We are still paying that one off, although we have a fair amount banked in cashback from the Amex we use to buy everything now. The cashback is paid on the annual anniversary so it will be a bonus for Christmas time!

Two birthdays while we are away and one just before as well, so going to be tight! Although we saved up money for going away and it's quite a bit so might transfer it back when we come back if we still have an excess.

Going to fall just short of the £20 TT goal this month being a short month so I think I will leave my goal at £20.

Nothing else to report as not much MSEness is happening oops!

Hope all is well for all you MFWs
    Retro x
    Save
    Save
    • Retro.Monkey90
    • By Retro.Monkey90 7th Mar 17, 10:31 AM
    • 69 Posts
    • 219 Thanks
    Retro.Monkey90
    Morning!

Nice and sunny here in Bonny Scotland again almost ready to jet off to USA for three weeks! Cannot wait! We will probably not be MSE as it is a once in a lifetime type trip!

Still managed a £17 OP for last month which isn't too bad considering February is a short month and I didn't TT everyday (oops!).

Hopefully when we get back, we will be refreshed and ready to be MSE and drop the pounds of Slimming World as well from all the American food

Hope you all have a good March! See you in April
    Retro x
    Save
    Save
    • Retro.Monkey90
    • By Retro.Monkey90 7th Apr 17, 9:28 AM
    • 69 Posts
    • 219 Thanks
    Retro.Monkey90
    Hi all!

So finally back into the swing of things after coming back from America. And some big news....we got engaged! At the Grand Canyon no less, it was the most romantic thing I have ever been involved in so I obviously balled my eyes out! So now it's save save save for a future wedding which isn't very MFW!

Managed to OP a measly £13 last month but anything is better than nothing I suppose. Also didn't put on any weight in USA although it might have been all the walking we did in Vegas...Slimming World is going well so far though and isn't too expensive which is what I was worried about.

This month I hope to be more on top of my TT and also need to cut the spending on groceries a bit more so we can pay off our holiday. We also decided to get the cleaners back which is another expense but I honestly think it is one of the best spent services as we get our weekends back to decorate and do the garden. Best for during the summer as I never look forward to Saturdays cleaning does anyone?!

Got to keep motivated and keep saving and spending low so need to be on here more as well!!

Keep well everyone
    Retro x
    Save
    Save
    • Retro.Monkey90
    • By Retro.Monkey90 18th Apr 17, 12:03 PM
    • 69 Posts
    • 219 Thanks
    Retro.Monkey90
    Not much happening..! TT £1 last few days so hopefully if I keep remembering I will be on track for £20 bonus OP this month. Interest from the Tesco acc is helping as well

Had a good but very spendy Easter weekend. Easter Sunday dinner was at my house for a change so spent a bit on food and drink, and also got the obligatory Easter eggs for the family especially my niece. Now my fridge is full of leftovers and I'm getting back to Slimming World today! DF better eat all the naughty bits so I can be good

My sister gave me a lovely engagement present with all sorts of wedding planning things, pretty things and smelly things, it was so thoughtful but now I feel like I actually need to start planning ahead and thinking about spending is breaking me out in a sweat! Better get those TT racking up

Retro x
    Save
    Save
    Save
    • Kittenkirst
    • By Kittenkirst 18th Apr 17, 2:13 PM
    • 1,641 Posts
    • 8,577 Thanks
    Kittenkirst
    Congratulations on your engagement retromonkey what lovely news!

I wouldn't worry so much about the wedding being a costly affair; some of my friends have had truly beautiful weddings without breaking the bank, just utilizing friends and families skills/benefits etc. one friend who had a very memorable wedding got married in a local field and made it a vintage festival theme. They, borrowed massive marquees from some friends of friends (in return for renovating their allotment), hay bales from a local farmer with family and friends bringing blankets to lay over them, for the buffet they asked guests to make cake/cakes and did a cream tea style affair with us bridesmaids serving the tea and cakes to guests. We made the table decorations, flowers were local wild flowers picked that morning and I made the bridal Jewellery and grooms men's buttonholes.

Appreciate a festival theme might not be everyone's cup of tea but it shows with planning and pre thought things can be done in a memorable but thrifty fashion

Have fun planning the wedding and getting those OPs paid off
    2017 MFW #20 - OP £2508.28/ £2150 117%. New target £2500 100%
    Last 3 months- Oct: £179.60 Nov: £160.33 Dec: £212.41

Emergency fund £4K/ £6k
    Mortgage Oct '16 £170.995 LTV 90% end: Nov 2041
    2016 OPs £255.50/£150
    • Retro.Monkey90
    • By Retro.Monkey90 18th Apr 17, 2:45 PM
    • 69 Posts
    • 219 Thanks
    Retro.Monkey90
    Thanks Kittenkirst!

My sister had a very much DIY wedding with the only large expense being the venue (large country house at an absolute steal!) so I am well aware of the savings. It just seems like we are treading water at the moment and anything extra, even tea bags (emergency stash as I only had one box left ) seems like it will break the bank at the moment. I know once I get into it and we have settled down a bit after our holiday that we will see light at the end of the tunnel. But I do quite like a festival themed wedding so I might nick it

Retro x
    Save
    Last edited by Retro.Monkey90; 18-04-2017 at 2:48 PM.
    Save
    Save
    • tinkerbel
    • By tinkerbel 18th Apr 17, 9:48 PM
    • 1,786 Posts
    • 4,897 Thanks
    tinkerbel
    Just read the whole thread and have subscribed!

Congratulations on your engagment!! How lovely and I'm sure wedding planning woll he fun and you can make it frugal do you have a timeline in mind?

Your TTs seem good - such an easy way to make a little OP and every little helps!
    • Retro.Monkey90
    • By Retro.Monkey90 19th Apr 17, 9:59 AM
    • 69 Posts
    • 219 Thanks
    Retro.Monkey90
    Hi Tinkerbel! Thanks for subscribing although I am pretty lax these days about posting...!

My timeline doesn't really exist at the moment, I'm not one of those girls who has had everything in mind since a little girl. I planned what cars I wanted and what house I wanted before that! So I think at least a couple of years, also my soon-to-be sister in law is getting married at the end of 2018 and I couldn't get married before her I'd feel awful!

90p TT today so still on a roll, and managed to get back £1.36 cashback from the 123 credit card I cancelled so tidied that as well because it made the balance look messy

Tidied up my outgoings spreadsheet last night and I think if we can just keep our spending to a minimum and the same level of grocery spends we could be on course for breaking even this month and starting to save again next month. Really have to be disciplined as we have two more birthdays and we have plans for decorating and doing the garden. I really wish sometimes I earned more so I could do all those lovely things that people do while I count every penny that I spend but then if I earned more I would just put it into the mortgage - who am I kidding I will never be a big spender!

Have a great day folks
    Retro x
    Save
    Save
    • Retro.Monkey90
    • By Retro.Monkey90 24th Apr 17, 11:34 AM
    • 69 Posts
    • 219 Thanks
    Retro.Monkey90
    Morning all

TT £1 this morning bringing my total to £19.01 so should make my target this month for a bonus OP and potentially exceed it. Had a good weekend, caught up with friends and dogs exhuasted themselves, lovely day yesterday and parents for the first BBQ of the season! Although poor pooch has ripped her dew claw yet again, so making an appointment to remove it as it has nothing but trouble since the first rip! Will be expensive, but hopefully we can claim on insurance as we can't really afford it at the moment

Not much MSE-ing happening at the moment. Managed to keep groceries for the weekend minimal and just the things I needed for our lunch party. Still a bit over, but I think for Easter and presents that isn't too bad (for me!).

Still have a lot of stuff we need to sell so need to look at ebay or try gumtree again for a few extra pennies. A few weekend tasks for us!

Hope everyone had a good weekend
    Retro x
    Save
    Save
    Save
    • originalmiscellany
    • By originalmiscellany 24th Apr 17, 4:35 PM
    • 1,593 Posts
    • 3,839 Thanks
    originalmiscellany
    Congratulations on your engagement, and by constantly chipping away at your mortgage - you're doing great
    Feb 2012 - onwards MF achieved
    June 2016 - Back into clearing a mortgage
    September 2016 - Back into clearing a mortgage - Was due to be paid off in 32 years in March 2047 - December 2017 down to 28.09 months vs 30.10 months at normal payment. Predicted mortgage clearing 03/2047 - now looking at 02/2045
    Aims: 1) To pay off mortgage within 20 years - 2037
    • Retro.Monkey90
    • By Retro.Monkey90 26th Apr 17, 3:42 PM
    • 69 Posts
    • 219 Thanks
    Retro.Monkey90
    Thanks originalmiscellany! I'm still my love bubble at the moment! Although I generally feel happier at the moment even though we have less money - go figure!

TT only 45p today but already made my target £20 for the bonus OP which I am happy with

Getting a refund of £45 from our life insurance as they had our premium raised for a risk marker which we got removed, so I think that will go into the wedding fund/savings pot. As we do not have an emergency fund I would like to save a little where we can using money we have already written off so it doesn't make too much of an impact.

We had to get pooch in to take the nail out of her dew claw as it was ripped, but not allowed to get the dew claw removed as it hasn't been an issue enough times! So basically the tonsilitus of dogsand +£200 everytime but we do love her and she is such a beautiful girl, inside and out
    Save
    Save
    Save
    • Retro.Monkey90
    • By Retro.Monkey90 2nd May 17, 3:45 PM
    • 69 Posts
    • 219 Thanks
    Retro.Monkey90
    Hi all!

Only 38p TT today but managed a total bonus OP from TT of £23.67 for April so I am happy with that! I checked on the calculater that overpaying the extra £75 regularly cuts 4 years and 9 months and saves £10k of interest and if we can keep the minimum OP of £20 extra a month that is another year and £2k interest saving

Trying to keep spending low for groceries hasn't panned out as planned but we should be ok for most things for the next couple of weeks. I am trying to keep the bills to within their allowed limits so our balance sheet actually represents our current account for a change. Although our balance is creeping up so our so called savings must be increasing with reducing spends. It is difficult sometimes to keep tabs as we have two CCs and are used for different functions because they are accepted in different shops. Tbh it is DF who comes in and spends randomly and I can't account for it and it throws all my spreadsheets out he is getting better at it now though.

Oh well not a lot doing this week, but hopefully the weather perks up a bit!! Hope you all have a good one
    Save
    Save
    • Retro.Monkey90
    • By Retro.Monkey90 8th May 17, 10:04 AM
    • 69 Posts
    • 219 Thanks
    Retro.Monkey90
    Morning all hope everyone had a lovely sunny weekend! Managed a BBQ on Friday and a whole day in the city on Saturday and it was glorious. Had a stay-in spa day with my mum and sister for a belated mother's day as well, which is becoming our tradition now! Saves a few pennies and mum loves it!

TT £1 today but missed a few days (sunshine got the better of me!) so have to be on the ball this week. Managed to get food within budget even though I bought a few extra things for the weekend. Managing to keep presents reasonable for my mum and sister who have birthdays this week. Just need to pay the vet for the worming and we should be on budget?!

Retro x
    Save
    Save
    • Retro.Monkey90
    • By Retro.Monkey90 16th Jun 17, 12:00 PM
    • 69 Posts
    • 219 Thanks
    Retro.Monkey90
    Hi everybody!

After seeing Mr SJ is back on the diary again I have been reminded my own has been shockingly quiet. There have been some developments in my family that basically mean that we are having to buy a house for my parents to live in as they are in their 60s with very little income. This means we are currently buying out our Help to Buy and paying fees like there's no tomorrow. All fees have been haggled though (apart from the Scottish Ministers, they don't haggle ).

So basically I'm not sure where this diary will be in the next couple of months, as our own mortgage is going to go up to the full whack (around £150-160k) and we will be mortgaged up to our gills! It is all very complicated and messy and borderline ok with the solicitors so fingers crossed everything works out like we think. And nothing happens to our jobs as we will be stretched to the max now!

Did someone say save for a wedding?!

Retro x

PS. 14p TT today.....not sure whether to laugh or cry really!
    Save
    Save
    • TwentySomethingGirl
    • By TwentySomethingGirl 16th Jun 17, 1:45 PM
    • 170 Posts
    • 377 Thanks
    TwentySomethingGirl
    We're just going through the process of paying back the HTB loan, had the survey done today and the mortgage is likely to go up to C£150K so I feel your pain on that front!
    Mortgage £126746 DEC14 £122423.53 DEC15 £115041.70 DEC16 Remortgaged Sep17 to pay off HtB loan £150000
    MFW2017 #85 £2633.7/£2500 12K IN 17 #85 £5500/£12000
    MFW2016 £3614.63/£2500
    MFW2015 £811.60/£1200
    • Retro.Monkey90
    • By Retro.Monkey90 16th Jun 17, 2:00 PM
    • 69 Posts
    • 219 Thanks
    Retro.Monkey90
    TSG it is slightly depressing know how little we will have in the way of disposable income (what is that?!) but at the same time we will own more equity so it is a good thing in that respect. Just don't see much saving going on for this wedding!
    Save
    Save
    • shangaijimmy
    • By shangaijimmy 16th Jun 17, 2:03 PM
    • 2,281 Posts
    • 10,616 Thanks
    shangaijimmy
    As much as it means little now, picture 5yrs time and think how far on you will be! I think back 5yrs and we were miles away from where we are now (frightening how bad our position was and we've added 2 more little un's in that time.).
    MFW: Turning June 2036 into March 2023... 33//120 Payments Challenge, Diary Reduction £35,448.08
    Aug 2009: £163,051 // Current: £100,551.94 // Avg Daily Interest £4.52
    MFiT-T4 #8 - 56.74% of £41,000
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,190Posts Today

5,887Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @bearface83: @MartinSLewis check out the @Missguided new 60% off offer. Upping the cost of items almost double to make us think it?s a?

• RT @efitzpat: Thank you SO SO much @MartinSLewis for your Student Loans refund advice! I just got a grand refunded right before Xmas! Whoop?

• Have a lovely weekend folks. Don't do anything (fiscally) that I wouldn't do!

• Follow Martin