Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • PlayingHardball
    • By PlayingHardball 26th May 09, 6:40 PM
    • 751Posts
    • 765Thanks
    PlayingHardball
    REMO-Reciprocal Enforcement of Maintenance Order
    • 26th May 09, 6:40 PM
    REMO-Reciprocal Enforcement of Maintenance Order 26th May 09 at 6:40 PM
    Hi all, has anyone got an ex who has moved to another country and stopped supporting their child, as in my case? My ex had been payinig through CSA for 5 years, suddenly got a job in Germany and now CSA can't do anything as he no longer resides here. My question is, has anyone out there gone the route I'm going with a REMO via the courts and been successful? I haven't had a payment since last June and the effect on my daughter has been significant, to say the least. Oh...and him? Well, he is still enjoying short breaks in his house in the south of france, nice one eh? Unfortunately for the ex-I'm not a quitter and am treating this as my 'newest hobby'.
    It would be great to hear a success story! Cheers everyone!
    Last edited by PlayingHardball; 16-01-2010 at 2:30 PM.
Page 2
  • FedUp Doormat
    I'm about to start the REMO process after 7 years of no support from my child's father. He's in the US and so I'm hoping the process won't be too painful. Any advice, tips etc is much welcome.
  • gratefulforhelp
    Don't have any advice, but wish you luck.

Will you get arrears?
    Please do not confuse me with other gratefulsforhelp. x
  • FedUp Doormat
    That would be great if I got arrears. I'm still waiting for the forms from the magistrates
    • AnxiousMum
    • By AnxiousMum 23rd Sep 10, 2:20 PM
    • 2,570 Posts
    • 4,313 Thanks
    AnxiousMum
    You will only get arrears if you have an order already in place and he hasn't been paying what he's been ordered to.
    • dimbo61
    • By dimbo61 23rd Sep 10, 3:01 PM
    • 9,584 Posts
    • 5,180 Thanks
    dimbo61
    Sorry to jump in on this thread but I have been paying CSA for my child! for last 8 years under CSA1 and have no arrers as paid on time every month.
    Now EX saw her a** with me when I found someone else and got remarried so access stopped.
    Went through solictor asking for contact to continue but just got letter saying child wanted nothing more to do with dad signed by child aged 12

Child now 17 and at college so next year off to uni and all grown up
    Should I carry on paying Csa money direct to my child for the 3/4 years they are at university or respect there wish that I have nothing to do with them ?
    What do you think I should do
  • mico62
    Well finally got reply from court with a poorly copied couple of pages from a guide book with sections highlighted.

Because my consent order was made in the county court and not the magistrates I have to provide the following

certified copy of maintenance order x3
    certificate certifying order is enforceable in the UK
    certificate of arrears
    statement re exs whereabouts

God only knows how much this is going to cost, I'm already up to my eyes in debt because he's stopped paying and angry that this information couldn't have been sent to me 2 months ago when I first contacted the court.

Phoned the solicitor who handled my divorce and she's on maternity leave, not that I can get to see anyone until the end of October as I work in a school on a term time contract.
  • mancneedinghelp
    I'm in the same boat as you guys. Ex is in the US. Hasn't paid for 10 yrs. I have a few questions...

Does the REMO path cost money? I was under the impression that it was free? I don't have much money, but it's time for him to start paying. I heard about REMO and got hopeful.

Also, is it true that arrears are not paid unless there is a prior arrangement? I don't have any prior arrangement.
  • mico62
    its free and quite straightforward if your consent order was made in the magistrates court. Unfortunately mine was made in the county court so a bit more complicated. The best is they need a photo to ID him - (un)luckily son's got him on facebook and he hasn't aged well

I've got 2 appointments in half term to get everything sorted/sworn/certified and sent to the County Court.

If the order had been registered in the magistrates (another £40 wouldn't have made much difference to my £12k divorce bill) he'd probably be getting a knock on his door any day soon.
    • AnxiousMum
    • By AnxiousMum 7th Oct 10, 7:14 PM
    • 2,570 Posts
    • 4,313 Thanks
    AnxiousMum
    mancneedinghelp - you can apply in Magistrates court here for an order, or a variation of an order. If you already have an order which is in arrears, is not yet enforceable within the country where the ex lives, or you need to amend it in some way due to change of circumstances - then you would go for a variation, and have it made enforceable where the other parent resides.
    If you have not got an order in place as yet, then you need to file for an order - this is done in exactly the same way, and will be made to be enforcable where the other parent lives (as long as it's a reciprocating country).
  • mancneedinghelp
    Sorry for the simple question, but what's a 'consent order'?? I haven't started this yet, just trying to get some insight before I start.

Also, this may sound 'blonde' but I'm not "sure" if I have an existing order or not. Would this have been done through my Solicitor? Sorry (again), but it's been 10 years since the divorce, and I tried to forget about my ex as much as possible. And I can't find any of my original paperwork (just my decree - which has nothing about child support). It's just that we're really struggling right now, and he needs to pay something. Is there a way for me to find out about an existing order?
  • mico62
    My consent order covers all the financial stuff, like how much I had to pay him to buy him out of a house I bought when I returned to the UK in my name but the court treated it as a matrimonial asset, it also says we wouldn't make a claim on each other's pensions and what he's supposed to pay for the kids and for how long.

Just checked and my order has the same reference no as my decree absolute so if you phone the magistrates they should be able to tell you if there's an order
    • PlayingHardball
    • By PlayingHardball 8th Oct 10, 8:03 PM
    • 751 Posts
    • 765 Thanks
    PlayingHardball
    Hiya, just popping in to say hello to everyone in this thread.

I don't have anything new to report, unfortunately. In fact, feeling a bit despondent about it all and wondering if it will ever come to anything! It will be 2 years in November since my day at the Magistrates court, swearing all my documents (and yes, I had to find a photo of the ex - big yuck...) My documents went to REMO in London in December 2008, although they claim to not have received them until mid April, so in effect, my application was sent to the reciprocal country in April 2009.

I'm starting to lose the will to even continue, both with REMO and with tribunal. Also waiting (patiently) for the tribunal people to get off their bums and give me a hearing date. That has been pending for almost a year (I think), very much beyond their target of 14 weeks to receive a hearing.

Someone kick me back into 'fight to win' mode, please!
    • AnxiousMum
    • By AnxiousMum 8th Oct 10, 8:14 PM
    • 2,570 Posts
    • 4,313 Thanks
    AnxiousMum
    PHB I can't believe they are dragging their heels on this! I praise the Canadian mantenance enforcement people when I talk to them! They certainly got my ex to start paying again, well, until this month and our son has started uni! By law he has to continue support until his 19th birthday - so no misunderstanding about him going to uni and not being eligible anymore.......and then by our own agreement, he will need to continue paying through first degree (as will I in terms of providing financial support as too many contact hours in the week for a part time job while at uni). Unfortunately they have their own laws to follow......but they have been amazing and right on top of thngs. They say that if there are arrears over $2,000 owing, and it remains owing after 3 months of registration, they wll write the payor and give 30 days notice of being reported to a credit bureau. They did this exactly 3 months to the day of being registered. They have put each step into place at exactly the time frames stated on their guidelines.

There is hope PHB......and whle t's hard waiting on it to come through - when it does, you'll know it was worth the battle.
    • floralaura
    • By floralaura 21st Oct 10, 4:03 PM
    • 321 Posts
    • 385 Thanks
    floralaura
    Hi, im just about to go through with a REMO against my ex who lives on the Isle of Man..a Man whos paid £42.90 towards his Son in 7 years!
    Anyhoo, I have to go to my local magistrates court next Thursday but no-one has told me what happens when I go there etc..so im pooping myseld slightly as have never been to court before! So if anyone here could give me a idea of what happens it may help my sanity in the next week! x
    She has the loaded handbag of someone who camps out and seldom goes home, or who imagines life must be full of emergencies..
    • PlayingHardball
    • By PlayingHardball 21st Oct 10, 9:15 PM
    • 751 Posts
    • 765 Thanks
    PlayingHardball
    Don't worry, nothing for you to worry about. I'm a bit under the weather tonight, but I promise I will recount my experience tomorrow. You have no need to worry!

One little bit of information, the CSA are reviewing policy whereby they are looking at being able to take foreign income into an assessment for establishing liability. That came from high up in the CSA to myself, via my latest complaint through my MP. And recently confirmed to me from an other source as something that is being challenged within the current remit of enforcement for NRP living abroad

This would be amazingly good news! Fingers crossed. Far too many NRP have been getting away with avoiding their responsibilities for too long!
    • speedster
    • By speedster 21st Oct 10, 9:48 PM
    • 1,276 Posts
    • 820 Thanks
    speedster
    i heard that one too. i think it's a long way off yet though. plus, they don't know how they are going to enforce it either.

TBH i think the government have a lot more going on other than pleasing the extreme minority of overseas nrp, so chances are their promise may turn out to be a load of hot air.
    NEVER ARGUE WITH AN IDIOT. THEY'LL DRAG YOU DOWN TO THEIR LEVEL AND BEAT YOU WITH EXPERIENCE.

and, please. only thank when appropriate. not to boost idiots egos.
    • floralaura
    • By floralaura 28th Oct 10, 9:39 AM
    • 321 Posts
    • 385 Thanks
    floralaura
    Anyone?
    Im meant to be in court at 12 today, only im thinking of not going as I have no idea what will happen etc..
    She has the loaded handbag of someone who camps out and seldom goes home, or who imagines life must be full of emergencies..
  • mico62
    Hope I'm not too late to wish you good luck.

I resubmitted all my paperwork yesterday at the county court. all I can say is the staff were so helpful, they don't deal with that many remo cases so didn't mind all my questions. They said if the judge asks to see me its very informal and nothing to worry about so please go, if you don't it might damage your claim.

Let us know how it goes x
    • AnxiousMum
    • By AnxiousMum 28th Oct 10, 7:38 PM
    • 2,570 Posts
    • 4,313 Thanks
    AnxiousMum
    I hope you attended! It is really informal, casual, and you would be talking with 3 magistrates who will hear your request, look at the facts, and in all likelihood, grant you a provisional order if what you are asking for is a fair request.
    REMO is well worth it - I've done it with Canada, and notced online today when I looked that a lovely large cheque has just been mailed to me by them on Tuesday - seems he wanted to avoid thier 'reporting to credit bureau' deadline - but he missed it by one day - bummer eh? So he's paid his arrears - but will have the credit reporting on his file until there is no longer a responsibility to pay child support. It has been worth every moment of waiting - and they have been great at putting in enforcement actions as and when their guidelines say they would.
  • kimi31
    Hello All

A fellow REMO applicant here. My ex is USA citizen living in the USA and has for 10 years done nothing but take the michael with supporting his 3 kids.

I have an appt for 15th Nov to go and swear in my docs and take my trusty pic of the ex with me. Im hoping they are as lax in Liverpool as some of the places mentioned in this thread.

I last had payment in August. Not long compared to some of you but in the 10 years i have been he has probably provided no more than 3 years support and i am broke, the kids are older and i cant keep up any more.

I dont want lump sum payments, i dont want thousands of pounds, i just want a fair regular amount for child support that i dont have to chase month in month out.

This is a man who was supposed to Western Union me money last week, didnt happen due to his usual " they didnt pay me' then let slip he had given, not loaned, given his parents $1000 for thier mortgage cos they were short....he doesnt even live with them

Anyway, i hope the US courts are quick, though i am not expecting much as i am sure he is paying backtaxes...
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,753Posts Today

8,215Users online

Martin's Twitter