Courses that lead to jobs (or have really good prospects)

I'm in a kind of career based limbo and wanting to change direction. I can't really give more specifics about what I want to change to as I don't know, I just want to browse my options more than anything.

I'm up for doing another course, but am unsure of any obvious ones which would be good for my prospects. I have a degree already, so I've been looking at masters courses as well as other vocational things.

I am willing to pay for it if I think it will help me.

Anyone got any good suggestions for courses helping people change direction?

Comments

• lincroft1710
    lincroft1710 Posts: 17,618 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    As we don't know the direction from which you are coming it's hard to suggest which direction you could try going in.
    If you are querying your Council Tax band would you please state whether you are in England, Scotland or Wales
  • elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,680 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Sorry, but that is so vague as to be unanswerable.
    What have you already done, what/why do you want to move away from it?
    What are your aptitudes and interests?
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • Sorry, because I want to move away from it I guess I thought it was irrelevant haha.

I have a Politics degree. Doesn't lead to anything obvious. I also taught A-Levels for two years (I did a PGCE too).

I have LOTS of interests and can think of lots of sectors I'd like to work in with no obvious link. I am interested in education (not the teaching side anymore, more pastoral/policy/university level), healthcare (mental health support in particular), the travel industry...actually now you mention it, they are the main three. I thought I'd end up listing lots but I suppose hobbies and interests are different in a career sense.

I just feel really aimless. I want to do something that gives me direction and career stability. I had an appointment with the National Careers Service but it was really unhelpful. Might book in with my old uni careers service too as they have alumni support.

Forgot to add on why I want to move away from it: I no longer want to be a teacher because I disliked the actual subject teaching and also had no stability teaching A-Levels - constantly on back to back part-time temp contracts and no Politics teaching jobs really come up. Lost my passion for it entirely, but I didn't lose my passion for education in general.
  • The healthcare professions always have good employment rates after qualifying, but not amazing salaries. Mental health nursing or occupational therapy might suit, but I'm afraid I don't know if the ELQ rules are changing when the bursary is scrapped from September.

If you are interested in travel what about teaching in international schools? The pay is good, you often get accommodation thrown in, and its a very different experience to teaching in British state schools from what friends who have done it tell me!
  • If I were you I would become a pig farmer or an astronaut.
  • fewgroats
    fewgroats Posts: 774 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Can you change from politics to law or sociology? Not that interesting, but it increases your prospects.
    Advent Challenge: Money made: £0. Days to Christmas: 59.
  • agrinnall
    agrinnall Posts: 23,344 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    There's almost nothing that will guarantee you a job, but if getting a job is your primary concern then you need to look at what categories are short of qualified applicants and get the relevant training to equip you to stand a good chance of getting a job in that line. How about paramedic?

https://www.prospects.ac.uk/job-profiles/paramedic
  • agrinnall wrote: »
    There's almost nothing that will guarantee you a job, but if getting a job is your primary concern then you need to look at what categories are short of qualified applicants and get the relevant training to equip you to stand a good chance of getting a job in that line. How about paramedic?

https://www.prospects.ac.uk/job-profiles/paramedic

There definitely isn't a shortage of qualified applicants for paramedic training. Its massively oversubscribed.
  • agrinnall
    agrinnall Posts: 23,344 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    There definitely isn't a shortage of qualified applicants for paramedic training. Its massively oversubscribed.

But a restriction on supply of suitably trained people may mean that vacancies can't be easily filled - the OP didn't ask about training that is easy to get on.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure