Hargreaves Landsdown to "update" their website

Comments

• redux
    redux Posts: 22,976 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    HL website already has mobile and desktop versions, though not with much difference on the pages I've seen so far.
  • JohnRo
    JohnRo Posts: 2,887 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    greenglide wrote: »
    I read this today.

Unlike others I am not at all impressed with the HL site. I find it unnecessarily complex (IMHO), it is non-intuitive and lots of facilities are hidden away on subsequent pages.

What is the "capital account" and "income account" all about?

I much prefer the Youinvest site and the old TD site (before it was refreshed about a year ago).

The old Fidelity site was quite good, the current one is dreadful!

I'm in the same boat, very much agree and I find it a right tangled mess tbh, bits and pieces all over the place. I'd also describe it as counter-intuitive as well.

I didn't object to the TD facelift although never used the gimmicky chart stuff they added.

I much prefer the CSD style in terms of a clear layout and distinct, easily accessible and retrievable account information, although that said I'm not enamoured with quite a long list of specific things on there either, especially the horribly sluggish response times for the last year or so which have improved slightly of late but nowhere near what they once were.
    'We don't need to be smarter than the rest; we need to be more disciplined than the rest.' - WB
  • slinga
    slinga Posts: 1,485 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    For cost reasons I've been wanting to move out of HL for the past 18 months but due to inertia etc haven't done so yet.
    If the updated HL site is bad then it might just be the kick I need to move.

I've been considering Alliance Trust Saving or Trustnet Direct. Anyone know if upgrades/updates to these websites have been completed or are being considered

BTW some Platforms I've seen have the old pre update website available by just clicking on an icon.
    It's your money. Except if it's the governments.
  • chucknorris
    chucknorris Posts: 10,786 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    I hate change too, it is always worse, that's why my diet is still just rusks and milk.
    Chuck Norris can kill two stones with one birdThe only time Chuck Norris was wrong was when he thought he had made a mistakeChuck Norris puts the "laughter" in "manslaughter".I've started running again, after several injuries had forced me to stop
  • AnotherJoe
    AnotherJoe Posts: 19,622 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    greenglide wrote: »
    What is the "capital account" and "income account" all about?

Thats nothing to do with web design. There will still be such things, if they exist, just dressed up differently with pretty colours or different places on the page.

The capital account is where your cash that results from either selling investments or cash you've transferred to HL, is kept.

The income account is cash that comes from income, eg dividends.

So if you only want to withdraw income, or reinvest the income in a particular way, its easy to distinguish that from cash you had after selling investments.
  • badger09
    badger09 Posts: 11,201 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    I hate change too, it is always worse, that's why my diet is still just rusks and milk.

I expect your mum was very relieved you accepted the addition of rusks;)
  • MarcoM
    MarcoM Posts: 798 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Does anyone have an opinion on the HSBC dealing platform?
  • ValiantSon
    ValiantSon Posts: 2,586 Forumite
    MarcoM wrote: »
    Does anyone have an opinion on the HSBC dealing platform?

Yes, it's expensive and doesn't offer the flexibility of others.

https://investments.hsbc.co.uk/pdf/invest-direct-rates-fees-kfd.pdf

Here's a link to the Monevator broker/platform comparison table, which should help you find a more suitable option:

http://monevator.com/compare-uk-cheapest-online-brokers/
  • A_T
    A_T Posts: 959 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary

Strawman alert
  • gld73
    gld73 Posts: 250 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    A_T wrote: »
    Nothing wrong with the current one as far as I can see but hey ho lots of folk have got to justify their salaries.

http://www.hl.co.uk/about-us/hl-refresh

Got a feeling that like most "improvements" this is going to be horrible. No doubt the website will be aimed at mobile devices - like the awful Fidelity upgrade.

Ah, glad (??) I'm not the only one who doesn't like the new Fidelity website. I'm sick of seeing that rotating circle and never being able to reach the page I want - I haven't been able to switch or deal for months but Fidelity tells me the website all works fine. Wish I could go back to the old one, that worked fine for me.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure