PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

KonMari 2018 - The Life Changing Magic of Tidying Up

Comments

• Karmacat
    Karmacat Posts: 39,460
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Home office space is tricky, isn't it ... I've substituted my office filing trays for cardboard boxes, which simply don't collect dust in the same way. And they're not quite as deep, intentionally, so I've got to be more careful about my "to do" box.

Plus, I was thinking about my accounts reports, prepared by an accountant - from 1991 to 2010, they took up fully half of a 24 litre plastic storage crate. I was just going to strip the posh cardboard off them, but once I got started ... no. I ended up scanning the reports and scrapping all the paper.

My whole desk is *so* much more accessible.
    2023: the year I get to buy a car
  • catshark88
    catshark88 Posts: 1,099
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    Forumite
    Today I Kondoed 10 oil paintings, an antique clock and a huge vase. It makes me feel better that they are being sold for funds for a really good charity. Onwards, onwards.
    "Have nothing in your houses that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful." William Morris
  • I used to have a 'study' (spare bedroom). It had a desk, the drawers were full of stationery that never got used. Under the desk were two (yes, TWO!) non functioning printers. (I was waiting for the printer fairy to magically fix them one night.) I had a two-drawer metal filing cabinet, I could never find anything because it was so full, and the filing hardly ever got done because it was so hard to do. I honestly thought I needed all this stuff (OK, maybe not the dud printers!).

Doing paperwork in KM was a nightmare, I came close to giving up, but it's one of the areas which has been the most rewarding. After much shredding and some anguish, I now have current paperwork (utility bills, bank statements, MoT, etc) in poly pockets in a ring binder. Pension stuff, passports and certificates and so on are in box files. The filing cabinet has gone, because the ring binder and box files fit on a bookshelf. The big desk has gone, as I only need something big enough for a laptop. This all takes up just a corner of the bedroom.

It really has been life changing, it's given me a whole extra room!
    Life is mainly froth and bubble: two things stand like stone. Kindness in another’s trouble, courage in your own.
  • Karmacat
    Karmacat Posts: 39,460
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Doing paperwork in KM was a nightmare, I came close to giving up, but it's one of the areas which has been the most rewarding. After much shredding and some anguish, I now have current paperwork (utility bills, bank statements, MoT, etc) in poly pockets in a ring binder. Pension stuff, passports and certificates and so on are in box files. The filing cabinet has gone, because the ring binder and box files fit on a bookshelf. The big desk has gone, as I only need something big enough for a laptop. This all takes up just a corner of the bedroom.

It really has been life changing, it's given me a whole extra room!
    Wow! That's wonderful. I'm on the home strait of rejigging the house and my storage after retiring in August 2016, there have been many "events" that have got in the way, but I'm really seeing the difference now.
    2023: the year I get to buy a car
  • silvasava
    silvasava Posts: 4,433
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Bits & pieces going out - nothing major but keep nibbling away. I walked to my local shops yesterday and noticed my next door neighbour had put two high bar stool out by the bins - she is not one for recycling or freecycling!! Took a quick photo to send to DS1 as his are getting tatty where his cats jump up on them - result!! Neighbour OK with me taking them - gas struts are OK - she's just decided to have padded ones . Bar stools now waiting for me to deliver to DS1.
    Small victories - sometimes they are all you can hope for but sometimes they are all you need - be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle
  • Igamogam
    Igamogam Posts: 6,024
    Debt-free and Proud! First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Pair of boots sold on Eb8y :) bit more cash in the coffers :):) Nearly took these to the charity shop!
    Be the change you want to see -with apologies to Gandhi :o
    In gardens, beauty is a by-product. The main business is sex and death. ~Sam Llewelyn
    'On the internet no one knows you are a cat' :) ;)
  • Home office stuff I swear magically multiplies as soon as it's put on a shelf...

Am pretty much konmaried (and avidly reading all your posts for that vicarious thrill!), but am now focussing on reorganising so things are in useful places (not behind other things, for example). It's so amazingly satisfying to rejig a cupboard based on 'how often do I use that' rather than 'crumbs, where can I fit it in'. Am I sad?!!

Also now using up those things where the 'stockpile' is too big. Randomly, these are body lotion (I tend to use any creams I don't like such as hand creams as body lotion so it's easy to suddenly end up with a stash), notepads (again, used all the time, but that doesn't mean I need 12 on the go at once) and automatic pencils (doing a GQ here and have picked out two that are so old the plastic is cracked, they have no rubbers and only a little lead and using those up first).

Also trying to reduce my books still further. I tend to read half way, then get distracted and start something else. Have been power reading this week, one at a time, and have got through three, which will all be listed to resell. Anything I want to read in the meantime is just being added to an online wish list for now. Have nothing to do this weekend but sit in front of the fire and read...glorious!!
  • System
    System Posts: 178,077
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Community Admin
    firebubble wrote: »
    Home office stuff I swear magically multiplies as soon as it's put on a shelf...

Am pretty much konmaried (and avidly reading all your posts for that vicarious thrill!), but am now focussing on reorganising so things are in useful places (not behind other things, for example). It's so amazingly satisfying to rejig a cupboard based on 'how often do I use that' rather than 'crumbs, where can I fit it in'. Am I sad?!!

Also now using up those things where the 'stockpile' is too big. Randomly, these are body lotion (I tend to use any creams I don't like such as hand creams as body lotion so it's easy to suddenly end up with a stash), notepads (again, used all the time, but that doesn't mean I need 12 on the go at once) and automatic pencils (doing a GQ here and have picked out two that are so old the plastic is cracked, they have no rubbers and only a little lead and using those up first).

Also trying to reduce my books still further. I tend to read half way, then get distracted and start something else. Have been power reading this week, one at a time, and have got through three, which will all be listed to resell. Anything I want to read in the meantime is just being added to an online wish list for now. Have nothing to do this weekend but sit in front of the fire and read...glorious!!

Where do you sell your books? I always find selling books really difficult.
  • ploppy57 wrote: »
    Where do you sell your books? I always find selling books really difficult.
    I have just boxed up 11 books for webuybooks.com. only a fiver but it all adds up:)
  • VJsmum
    VJsmum Posts: 6,946
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    I have just boxed up 11 books for webuybooks.com. only a fiver but it all adds up:)

I sent 9 books to them last week - hopefully I will get £15, but that is only because one was a textbook of DD's - which cost me £35 :eek:
    I wanna be in the room where it happens
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport