IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

Parking fine from UKPC in Scotland

Hello Forumites, I am looking for some advice from the people who have the knowledge on these ridiculous, thieving chancers that run these scams.

I had a notice of a fine from UKPC in a McDonalds car park in Scotland, it was a 90 minute limit and I had parked from early morning ~6am for around 2 hours whilst buying my breakfast and catching up with emails in the restaurant. I drive a company car.

I hold my hands up to say I had used the car park several times before and had never noticed the signs about the restrictions and it was always early in the morning (6am) whenever I was there, so it was deserted and dark.

I got onto this forum looked up the stickies regarding Scotland and company cars then taking the advice in there I appealed to UKPC through their website. Stating that I was a McDonalds customer, I told them I was using their facilities , that the car park was empty and I was using that site to go to the local retail park.

You will not be surprised to know that after 'careful consideration' of about 90 minutes they emailed back to say my appeal had been rejected.

I now have 14 days to pay the 'fine'.

They now have my name and email address.

What do I do, ignore it or pay or something else?

I know the laws in Scotland are different in England. My company is based in England but I live in Scotland.

Any advice would be really appreciated, thanks.

Comments

• Half_way
    Half_way Posts: 7,047 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Did you give them your name as registered keeper, or did you give them the name of the driver?

were you a customer of that mc donalds for that duration?
    From the Plain Language Commission:

"The BPA has surely become one of the most socially dangerous organisations in the UK"
  • Thanks for the response!

I said I was the driver through there online form reply service.

My company is the registered keeper, I am the named driver.

Yes I was a customer during that time and I can prove this from my bank account statement
  • Herzlos
    Herzlos Posts: 14,685 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    I'd get the manager in Mcdonalds to get it cancelled. They can, but you might need to argue with them for a bit.
  • Umkomaas
    Umkomaas Posts: 41,336 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    I said I was the driver through there online form reply service.
    Oh dear! You are actually the keeper of the vehicle and should have been appealed on that basis. Never mind - just ignore unless you get vanishingly unlikely court papers.
    Please note, we are not a legal advice forum. I personally don't get involved in critiquing court case Defences/Witness Statements, so unable to help on that front. Please don't ask. .

I provide only my personal opinion, it is not a legal opinion, it is simply a personal one. I am not a lawyer.

Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day; show him how to catch fish, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Private Parking Firms - Killing the High Street
  • Herzlos wrote: »
    I'd get the manager in Mcdonalds to get it cancelled. They can, but you might need to argue with them for a bit.

Thanks I'll speak to them today
  • Umkomaas wrote: »
    Oh dear! You are actually the keeper of the vehicle and should have been appealed on that basis. Never mind - just ignore unless you get vanishingly unlikely court papers.

I thought as the driver of a company car that I have to say that?

Am I actually a keeper for that vehicle? If so then my bad and I misunderstood the sticky information on these pages.

So your advice is still to ignore this and not to try to speak to the McDonalds manager?
  • pogofish
    pogofish Posts: 10,852 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    No, if its a company car then you did the right thing. Now UKPC have to deal directly with you - And you do your utmost to get it cancelled by McD's

Also, if an approach to the local manager is unproductive, don't hesitate to escalate it higher up the food chain - And don't take a verbal assurance either, get written confirmation. :)
  • Fruitcake
    Fruitcake Posts: 58,225 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    edited 25 April 2017 at 9:06AM
    I thought as the driver of a company car that I have to say that?

Am I actually a keeper for that vehicle? If so then my bad and I misunderstood the sticky information on these pages.

So your advice is still to ignore this and not to try to speak to the McDonalds manager?

It is not a fine.

You are the day to day keeper and should have appealed as such, pointing out that since the POFA 2012 does not exist in Scotland, the scammers must take this up with the driver, who you decline to name.
    Alternatively, you could have told your employer that they cannot be held liable so can safely ignore anything and everything they receive.

If this had not been a company car, you could have ignored this.

Now they know you are the driver, you have made it more difficult for yourself. Your only option now is to make a PoPLA appeal based on the tempste appeal points you will find in the NEWBIES. Did you get PoPLA code? If so, you should use it.
    Use all the available points except POFA/invalid NTK.
    I married my cousin. I had to...
    I don't have a sister. :D
    All my screwdrivers are cordless.
    "You're Safety Is My Primary Concern Dear" - Laks
  • pogofish wrote: »
    No, if its a company car then you did the right thing. Now UKPC have to deal directly with you - And you do your utmost to get it cancelled by McD's

Also, if an approach to the local manager is unproductive, don't hesitate to escalate it higher up the food chain - And don't take a verbal assurance either, get written confirmation. :)

Thanks , I will be phoning them today and see what joy I can get in written form
  • Fruitcake wrote: »
    It is not a fine.

You are the day to day keeper and should have appealed as such, pointing out that since the POFA 2012 does not exist in Scotland, the scammers must take this up with the driver, who you decline to name.
    Alternatively, you could have told your employer that they cannot be held lible so can safely ignore anything and everything they receive.

If this had not been a company car, you could have ignored this.

Now they know you are the driver, you have made it more difficult for yourself. Your only option now is to make a PoPLA appeal based on the tempste appeal points you will find in the NEWBIES. Did you get PoPLA code? If so, you should use it.
    Use all the available points except POFA/invalid NTK.

Thanks

I thought I would keep the company out of this fight if I am the named driver, and it looks like I have made it easier for them to target me.

I didn't get a PoPLA code, does that apply in Scotland?

If so how do I get a code?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport