Lost Passwords

OH's computer did the pointless microsoft fall update and now computer has lost it's passwords.

Does anyone know why and how to get them back?

This update is pointless as when my computer did it I can see no difference to before

What differences are there supposed to be?

Comments

• John_Gray
    John_Gray Posts: 5,821 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    To which 'passwords' do you refer?
    To which 'update' do you refer?
    Not more than 1% of your readers are psychic...
  • aardvaak
    aardvaak Posts: 5,833 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    John_Gray wrote: »
    To which 'passwords' do you refer?
    To which 'update' do you refer?
    Not more than 1% of your readers are psychic...

All passwords

fall update - the big one
  • debitcardmayhem
    debitcardmayhem Posts: 11,858 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    edited 6 December 2017 at 9:54PM
    Let's try another tack then , which passwords stored where ? e.g. my passwords for web sites are stored in Firefox/Thunderbird. My network passwords for the router are stored in Windows give us a clue
    🍺 😎 Still grumpy, and No, Cloudflare I am NOT a robot 🤖BUT my responses are now out of my control they are posted via ChatGPT or the latest AI
  • wongataa
    wongataa Posts: 2,627 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    aardvaak wrote: »
    OH's computer did the pointless microsoft fall update and now computer has lost it's passwords.

Does anyone know why and how to get them back?

This update is pointless as when my computer did it I can see no difference to before

What differences are there supposed to be?
    I'd hardly call security updates pointless. Just because it looks the same doesn't mean it hasn't changed. You can easily find out all the changes with simple internet searches.
  • aardvaak
    Let's try another tack then , which passwords stored where ? e.g. my passwords for web sites are stored in Firefox/Thunderbird. My network passwords for the router are stored in Windows give us a clue

Games in particular
  • aardvaak
    wongataa wrote: »
    I'd hardly call security updates pointless. Just because it looks the same doesn't mean it hasn't changed. You can easily find out all the changes with simple internet searches.

This is not just a 'security updates' it is reinstalling the whole OS it is major and takes ages
  • lammy82
    lammy82 Posts: 594 Forumite
    You need to be much more specific about what passwords you're talking about if anyone is going to be able to help you recover them.
  • wongataa
    wongataa Posts: 2,627 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    aardvaak wrote: »
    This is not just a 'security updates' it is reinstalling the whole OS it is major and takes ages
    Correct. Some of those updates mean a whole new OS. As stated before it is very easy to find out the changes if you are interested.
  • Use a password manager, such as Keepass to keep a separate storage of passwords, ie on a USB stick... I updated 2 x laptops and 1 x desktop to the Win 10 Creators Edition from the earlier Win 10, no issues whatsoever. No loss of passwords in Firefox either.
  • aardvaak
    Is the password manager stored in the cloud - ie is there a a risk it could be hacked?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure