Littlewoods late payment

Hi,

In November I set up a direct debit payment with littlewoods thinking it would be hassle free and therefore avoid any potential complications.

They failed to take a payment in December and I believe that this was an error on their part.

I regularly use Experian credit report and have noticed that there has been an alert issued due to the late payment of £3.04, therefore effecting my credit rating.

Two Questions:

Does Littlewoods have the ability to remove the late payment by admitting responsibility on their part?

And should I be worried about my credit rating over a nominal sum?

Thank you for your assistance!

Comments

• Enfieldian
    Enfieldian Posts: 2,893 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    1) Yes, if you can get Littlewoods to admit liability then they can change the information that Experian hold.

2) Any late payment on your credit account would be detrimental for the next 12 months, at least.
  • balmk
    balmk Posts: 624 Forumite
    Did it state on your monthly statement that payment would be taken by DD?
  • Experian_company_representative
    Experian_company_representative Posts: 2,134 Organisation Representative
    Late payments hang around (on your credit report) for three years if you keep the account open. In the current climate you really don't want any!

James Jones
    Official Company Representative
    I am an official company representative of Experian. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"

Posts by James Jones, Neil Stone, Stuart Storey & Joe Standen
  • MissUno
    MissUno Posts: 82 Forumite
    I believe that with a direct debit agreement, the company are responsible to take payment on the dates/intervals signed for or arranged. So therefore if you had it set up with them to debit your account automatically with your monthly minimum payment and they didn't take the money on time to avoid late payment, it's pretty much their fault (in my opinion). It's such a small sum of money, so it might be worth ringing them (free phone number off of sayno is 0800 0151000 I tried it and it still works).
    Littlewoods have mucked up my account recently, unfortunately I need to write to them as it's gotten complicated.

Hope you get it sorted and that them not taking such a small amount as previously agreed doesn't put that dreaded stain on your report.
    This post was brought to you from the vortex of a human psyche, it was approved by my poor judgement. :T
  • McCuddly
    McCuddly Posts: 281 Forumite
    When did you set the direct debit up?

As shop direct wont set the direct debit until after the next statement is produced.

For example: Your statement due date is the 10th January, You ring up on the 2nd to set a direct debit up. They won't set the direct debit until the March statement.

Does your statement mention VDD/Direct Debit as the method of payment?
  • stclair
    stclair Posts: 6,844 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    You should always pay in your usual way until the company have confirmed on their statement that they will collect the payment via DD.
    Im an ex employee RBS Group
    However Any Opinion Given On MSE Is Strictly My Own
  • McCuddly
    stclair wrote: »
    You should always pay in your usual way until the company have confirmed on their statement that they will collect the payment via DD.

In the time I've worked at SDG they always mail you out a direct debit confirmation with a clear start date
  • stclair
    stclair Posts: 6,844 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    McCuddly wrote: »
    In the time I've worked at SDG they always mail you out a direct debit confirmation with a clear start date

Im not familiar with SDS processes however thats even better then if the OP has the letter with the confirmation date when the first payment will be taken then that will strengthen their case :D
    Im an ex employee RBS Group
    However Any Opinion Given On MSE Is Strictly My Own
  • McCuddly
    stclair wrote: »
    Im not familiar with SDS processes however thats even better then if the OP has the letter with the confirmation date when the first payment will be taken then that will strengthen their case :D

Yeah, Usually they don't set it up until after the next statement is produced, e.g.

Setup DD during cycle 1
    cycle 2 must be made manually
    cycle 3 the DD is then taken

They also apply for the money 5 days before the payment date aswell.
  • bsgbees
    bsgbees Posts: 16 Forumite
    Thank you very much for the comments.

After reading all the comments and being honest it appears as though it may have been my understanding.

I have contacted Littlewoods via email and hopefully they'll be able to help me out.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure