Child Trust Fund as Godparent

Hi,

I am going to be godfather to my mates baby this weekend and rather than buy something useless I would like to start a trust fund with £100.

Any recomendations and how do I go about opening the fund?

Cheers D

Comments

• Reaper
    Reaper Posts: 7,280 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Are you talking savings or investments? Some options copied and pasted from another post:

1) Add it to their CTFs if they have them, or Junior ISAs when they come out later in the year
    2) Put it in your or the the parent's ISAs to hand out at a future date if you have not used up your limits.
    3) Put it in a children's savings account. But keep an eye on it and be ready to keep switching as rates drop.
    4) I would favour investing most of the money rather than putting it in savings accounts as investments ought to do better over the long term. The two standard options are:
    A Designated Account - owned by you but just earmaked as being the child's money. As such withdraws can be made at any time for any reason and need not even benefit the child. The downside is it is taxed as being your money.
    A Bare Trust - the money belongs to the child and is taxed as being theirs. 2 or more "Trustees" operate the account on behalf of the child.
    Baille Gifford and F&C are two examples I often give. Of the two only Baille Gifford allows lump sums starting at £100.
  • dave82_2
    dave82_2 Posts: 1,328 Forumite
    Thanks. Sorry just spotted there is a sticky on this subject. The Baille Gifford one looks like the sort of thing I am after.

D
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport