EMA - will this get backdated?

Dear All,
My daughter started her full time college course last week and has been told that her EMA wont start until October?! Does anyone know whether this EMA is likely to be backdated from when she actually started college - I'm having to fork out the bus fare until these payments start (£20 for last week alone) so am quite eager to re-coup my money :confused:. We have also applied for one of these half price bus tickets which are valid for all full time students under the age of 18 I believe (which is being run by our local council - Medway) - so that will help when that finally arrives too!

Any advice greatfully received.

Deestar36 (a skint mum)!

Comments

• MrsManda
    MrsManda Posts: 4,457 Forumite
    I think it will be backdated as if you apply for EMA within 28 days of the start of the course you get it backdated so there's no reason why this shouldn'tbe the case for students applying on time but not getting their first payment until later.
    When to apply

You can apply for EMA at any time during the year, but if you want your payments backdated to the start of your course or learning programme you’ll need to apply within 28 days of the start date of the course.
  • surfsister
    surfsister Posts: 7,527 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Deestar36 wrote: »
    Dear All,
    My daughter started her full time college course last week and has been told that her EMA wont start until October?! Does anyone know whether this EMA is likely to be backdated from when she actually started college - I'm having to fork out the bus fare until these payments start (£20 for last week alone) so am quite eager to re-coup my money :confused:. We have also applied for one of these half price bus tickets which are valid for all full time students under the age of 18 I believe (which is being run by our local council - Medway) - so that will help when that finally arrives too!

Any advice greatfully received.

Deestar36 (a skint mum)!

ring the council and ask for a temporary bus pass untill you get the full one, my council sent us one as we hadn't got the full one. worth a try as you are wasting money.

My dAUGHTER GOT HER FIRST EMA LAST WEEK. sorry caps locked on.
  • surfsister wrote: »
    ring the council and ask for a temporary bus pass untill you get the full one, my council sent us one as we hadn't got the full one. worth a try as you are wasting money.

My dAUGHTER GOT HER FIRST EMA LAST WEEK. sorry caps locked on.

Thanks Surfsister - I never thought of that! Will call them now to see if this can be done. Also, thanks to MrsManda on the backdated EMA question - we did apply in plenty of time so no reason not to receive the backdated money! Woohoo!
    Deestar 36
  • surfsister
    surfsister Posts: 7,527 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    ok hate to see good moneysavers wasting money!!!
  • I go to Swindon College, and they're sayin that EMA are behind on all payments at the moment, and are MEANT to be paid into our accounts sometime in the half term. Wether EMA will stick to their promise; who knows.
  • Bob-a_2
    Bob-a_2 Posts: 11 Forumite
    Don't worry, you should get it back payed, same thing happened with my friends last year.
  • Shelldean
    Shelldean Posts: 2,390 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    defo will get it backdated, DD had her forms in before start of term, but cos teh woman who deals it only works two mornings a wk, it was dealt with straight away. She received it a couple of weeks in her term, first payment was for the back dated stuff plus the wk she should receive. Sine then her payment have been on time every Thurs one wk in arrears
  • skiTTish
    skiTTish Posts: 1,385 Forumite
    We have been waiting 7 weeks for sons EMA ,still not recieving it :(
  • Shelldean
    Shelldean Posts: 2,390 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    skiTTish wrote: »
    We have been waiting 7 weeks for sons EMA ,still not recieving it :(

WOW :confused:then we must've been really lucky DD started back on thurs 3 Sept. forms went from the school the next week, and her money was in her account on 24 Sept. This was money for the wks end 4 sept, 11 Sept & 18 Sept. She has received her money every Thurs since, bar one wk, but that cos they paid her for wk ending 4 sept and apprently she wasn't entitled to it that week cos she'd not done enough hours, they took it back by not paying her one wk. But apart from that once money been in her account with no issue.
  • skiTTish
    skiTTish Posts: 1,385 Forumite
    Im just concerned about reckless teenage son that much money back dated ......
    Told him he owes me a third for 'rent' and running him backwards and forwards but that still leaves him with a heck of a chunk to be silly with :( (had the idea of making him pay a third of his ema to me as 'rent' to get him used to paying out a percentage of income but also to have something for him to fall back on when he squanders the rest then finds he needs some equipment urgently, Not told him though for obvious reasons...)
    Really wish it was payable to the parents so we can make sure he uses it to help him with his course and things to make it easier but suppose there are some parents who would use it as just part of theyre personal income.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure