Full and final settlement help thread

Comments

• sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,876 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    What type of debt is it they are collecting ?

Are they acting as Bailiffs, or debt collectors ?
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
  • just debt collector at the mo
  • January2015
    January2015 Posts: 2,369 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 4 March 2017 at 11:55AM
    The reason I originally put that you were 'happy to accept that default back in 2012' was because you wrote
    jaydj79 wrote: »
    ......I came across a debt management company called Baines & Ernst. They kindly took on my debt (for a small monthly fee) and dealt with Lloyds on my behalf. My monthly payment went from £480 per month down to £280. Great. In 2012 I contacted Lloyds once more as I wished to clear my outstanding debt. Myself and the advisor agreed upon an amount that would be satisfactory for both parties and ultimately close my account, so I paid it and that was that. About a month later I received a letter stating that my payment would be classed as 'partial payment' and my account will be shown as 'Defaulted' for the next 6 years.

Let's break that down

• You got a debt management company to deal with your debt for less than the contracted monthly payment
    • In 2012 you and your debt adviser agreed to a reduced settlement amount with Lloyds
    • One month later you received a default letter.
    So - you did default the account, and as you have not raised the subject until now I assumed, obviously incorrectly, that you were happy to accept that default - otherwise you would have challenged it at the point of receiving the default letter.

The thing is, everyone on this forum who is dealing with their debts through some form of debt management plan is keen to obtain defaults as quickly as possible. If you read many of the threads (and especially the DMP Mutual Support thread) you will see people eagerly chasing defaults on their accounts. Some stop paying altogether, and some pay only token £1 payments until the original creditor defaults them. I am saying 'everyone' because I am confident everyone on this forum on a DMP wants defaults asap. As you had been in a DMP, that is the reason I assumed you were happy to accept the default.

I began the sentence with "I'm not an expert, but in my opinion" because I wanted to make it clear to you that this was my view of your situation, rather than any view of a legal option (or not). That does not make me "an idiot, plain and simple"

Once again.....thank you for your kind words.....and welcome to the forum:beer:

Oh...was I being condescending ?????
    DFW Nerd No. 1484 LBM 07/01/15 Debt was £95k :eek: Now debt free and happy :j
  • sourcrates
    edited 4 March 2017 at 1:05AM
    jaydj79 wrote: »
    I came across a debt management company called Baines & Ernst. They kindly took on my debt (for a small monthly fee) and dealt with Lloyds on my behalf..

Next time may I recommend using stepchange, payplan, or CAB who will all set up a debt management plan for free.

Alternativly you could of self managed your debt, again for free.

We don't really recomend using fee charging debt management companies as they will end up taking quiet a lot of money from you over time, so in effect you paid much more than you should of done, thus prolonging the time you were in debt.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
  • fatbelly
    fatbelly Posts: 20,489 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Cashback Cashier
    jaydj posted 2 months ago about a default that had only been applied after a dmp and a F&F settlement. He got replies (same day) from 3 of us. The replies weren't identical, because this is a forum.

But if you read the replies it is clear that we feel he has an argument with the lender that the default marker should have been applied at the usual 3-6 months of arrears point. He was given the ICO guidance that he should not have been placed in a worse position than someone who made no effort to pay.

It was confirmed that lenders can and do change default dates. He needs to argue this with the lender and if necessary complain to the ICO.
  • January2015
    January2015 Posts: 2,369 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    fatbelly wrote: »
    jaydj posted 2 months ago about a default that had only been applied after a dmp and a F&F settlement. He got replies (same day) from 3 of us. The replies weren't identical, because this is a forum.

But if you read the replies it is clear that we feel he has an argument with the lender that the default marker should have been applied at the usual 3-6 months of arrears point. He was given the ICO guidance that he should not have been placed in a worse position than someone who made no effort to pay.

It was confirmed that lenders can and do change default dates. He needs to argue this with the lender and if necessary complain to the ICO.

Hi Fatbelly

I did read the original post and subsequent responses. I totally understand he has been advised he has an argument and may be able to get the default removed.

My point in my above post was that I did make it clear it was my view only in my original post and to point out that in general people on DMPs chase default markers. My response was the first response to the OP original post. Offering my view was never intended to be condescending -in the original response.

I'm normally an easy going laid back type of person and don't usually bite back at anything. It was late last night - I have no excuse for the second response. I'll happily delete or edit it if necessary. :beer:
    DFW Nerd No. 1484 LBM 07/01/15 Debt was £95k :eek: Now debt free and happy :j
  • somuchindebt
    somuchindebt Posts: 102 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Hello, I have received letter accepting full and final settlement but they do not call it as "full and final settlement", they say, "partial settlement". They say that if payment is made with accordance to this letter, neither them nor their client will take any further steps in relation to recovery of the remaining balance. Is it safe to pay? They don't mention that they wouldn't sell it on though.They are acting as DCA and not the owner of the debt.
  • sourcrates
    Hello, I have received letter accepting full and final settlement but they do not call it as "full and final settlement", they say, "partial settlement". They say that if payment is made with accordance to this letter, neither them nor their client will take any further steps in relation to recovery of the remaining balance. Is it safe to pay? They don't mention that they wouldn't sell it on though.They are acting as DCA and not the owner of the debt.

Partial settlement is correct, as thats what your doing.

Sounds ok to me, a further step in relation to recovery action would be to sell it on, as they say they won't take further steps, I would be happy with that.
  • somuchindebt
    somuchindebt Posts: 102 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Thank you Sourcrates, helpful as always. I had this letter on email but as PDF attachment is it ok or I do wait for postal copy?
  • National_Debtline
    National_Debtline Posts: 7,998 Organisation Representative
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Thank you Sourcrates, helpful as always. I had this letter on email but as PDF attachment is it ok or I do wait for postal copy?

Hi there

Do you mean they have simply scanned the letter and attached it to an email as opposed to posting it out to you? Ultimately you can insist on confirmation in writing if that is what you want, but in principle this email they have sent you sounds very clear and if they or anyone else were to do a U-turn and try to collect the "full" debt at a later stage, that email would serve as very strong evidence in your favour.

Dennis
    @natdebtline
    We work as money advisers for National Debtline and have specific permission from MSE to post to try to help those in debt. Read more information on National Debtline in MSE's Debt Problems: What to do and where to get help guide. If you find you're struggling with debt and need further help try our online advice tool My Money Steps
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback