PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

February 2009 Grocery Challenge

Comments

• mummyyof5
    mummyyof5 Posts: 1,839 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Its a NSD for me today,will just need veg ,bacon oats and loads more carrots later in the week Carrot and coriander soup being consumed at the mo it is soooo nice...must make loads more.
    Feeding 6 Adults 1 Teen a 8 year old with hollow legs and a very fussy 5 year old. Also 3 cats and 3 fishies
    To include all Food,Toiletries and Petfood.
  • Crikey! This thread has grown a huge amount over the weekend!

Well I did my shopping in lidl & farmfoods this weekend and spent under £8!!! How did I manage that?! Even managed to let a sneaky deep dish pizza slip into the basket which I scoffed last night. So that was my treat for the week!

The snow is making me want to make soup so I think that shall be a plan for tomorrow as I already have tonights dinner sorted.
  • Savvy_sewing
    Savvy_sewing Posts: 11,574 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    Sorry late declared last month. I would like to do this month on £315 for 7 of us.
    When I die I will know that I have lived, loved, mattered and made a difference, even if in a small way.
  • Cazzie_2
    Cazzie_2 Posts: 47 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Am in again this month.. came in about £15 over budget for Jan :o so will stick with £200 for 5 of us
    :j "I'm selfish, impatient and a little insecure. I make mistakes, I am out of control and at times hard to handle. But if you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best." — Marilyn Monroe :j
  • tessie_bear
    tessie_bear Posts: 4,898 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    hi hope all are well and warm ....have u had snow ? weve been out playing in it.....i love the pic of the doggy in the snow what a cutie...it really facilitates nsd the snow unless u dont get milk delivered and have to pop out...iv just told my son to eat his packed lunch(his school closed)he didnt seem very impressed but i thought waste not etc we are having a turkey crown for tea fro xmas....its been in the freezer not just sitting about in the kitchen i got it reduced in the coop on xmas eve.....thats the last of my xmas bargains so ill have to collect stuff on easter sat .....i was looking over the recipes at the start of the thread...its very impressive....im going to try some moreof them...bounty balls maybe....sounds nice.....have a great day tess
    onwards and upwards
  • Didn't expect to be spending on groceries today, had to go to local town to get cold mixture etc for OH's man flu and popped into Sainsbury's to see if I could reclaim my £1 parking fee as I park there. It's only a £5 spend to get the fee back and didn't have to look too hard. Muller light yogurts are 4 for £1, so I got 8 :D and my fave NY bagels were on BOGOF but I managed to get 2 whoopsied and they still went though the till on offer :rotfl: . Also got some basics mozzerella as DD wants to make pizza and some beans and banana's. So £4.52 to add to my sig.
  • orchid-96
    orchid-96 Posts: 686 Forumite
    I went into my MrS shop today to allocate it to a delivery time sometime Thursday and all the slots are gone till Sunday :confused: spoke to them and apparantly as not much being delivered today all the customers have been on re-booking for the rest of the week, I am sooo annoyed at myself as I had thought I had booked the slot at the weekend but I obviously didn't checkout.... I had been working on that for ages and it had all the stuff for ds birthday party on Saturday as well as some good offers and lots of their great basics..

oh well, will have to go shopping instead now and maybe still have a MrS shop for next week, I had gone onto MrT to do it instead, but everything I seem to need is way more expensive :eek: might try asda but I find their site difficult to navigate and havn't got loads of time now....

Anyway will hopefully be a nsd today as weather keeping us all in anyway...

Hope you are all ok in the snowstorms
    Jun GC £250.00/£12.40 NSD 3 / 30

January 200/198.91 February 200/239.28 March 200/230
    April 250/no idea May 250/265.95

Sealed pot challenge number 648
  • TrixieB
    TrixieB Posts: 704 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Spent £10.26 in the Co-op - alas no 5p bargains today!! Also put my fortnightly Tesco order through to be delivered this week - guide price is at £57 not including offers of course, plus used xxsave to get £5 off over £50 :) Off to update my signature
    Trying very hard to be frugal and OS - just plodding on and doing my best!
    :money: :money:
    :money:
  • rosieben
    rosieben Posts: 5,010 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    jessie18 wrote: »
    ..... Can someone please give me a recipe to make some (easy pastry) for a pie please, ive been looking but i cannot find anything:confused: as i never seem to find the right place
    many thanks x

I presume you mean shortcrust pastry, so here are a couple of links to start you off

there's the best mince pie pastry ever thread, Pastry economics or Making pastry
    also a recipe for basic pastry here

offsite links - several options to choose from including oil based pastry at
    http://www.cooks.com/rec/search/0,1-0,easy_pastry,FF.html

and there's a shortcrust pastry recipe with pics here;

I'll put those links on the front page ;)

edited to say - if anyone has good pastry links please tell me and I'll add them too :)
    ... don't throw the string away. You always need string! :D

C.R.A.P.R.O.L.L.Z Head Sharpener
  • scotsaver
    scotsaver Posts: 824 Forumite
    Hi TheBees - thanks for the advice on going to the Butchers, really helpful and thanks to all others who have been discussing this - looks like a lot of us are going for this option.

OH didn't make it to work today, no buses in London and no trains and both of my kids School's were closed so we headed off to the Park, chasing each other with Snowballs - great fun.;)

We had Roast chicken yesterday so the Carcass has been boiled to make Stock so soup tonight and Chicken pie with the remainder of the chicken stripped off, doing Jacket potatoes to go with the pie and some baked beans.:D

Hope you are all staying safe and warm in this deep snow.:snow_grin
    "WASTE NOT, WANT NOT!"
    GC for OH, myself, DD18 & DD16 includes Toiletries, cleaning stuff & Food.

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure