New Car Tax rules - tax on pre 2001 car?

2»

Comments

• Conor_3
    Conor_3 Posts: 6,944 Forumite
    Welcome to the ludicrous farce that is the "green" road tax which means you can have a 5.7L V8 1965 Ford Mustang which has a lower road tax than a Toyota Pius.
  • anewman
    anewman Posts: 9,200 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Conor wrote: »
    Welcome to the ludicrous farce that is the "green" road tax which means you can have a 5.7L V8 1965 Ford Mustang which has a lower road tax than a Toyota Pius.
    So in a way it's a stealth tax on rich people - which can only be a good thing IMO :beer: as they won't be agreeing with paying extra income tax the greedy !!!!!!s.
  • oldagetraveller
    oldagetraveller Posts: 3,653 Forumite

And much lower Conor, at £0 for the Mustang!
  • Conor_3
    Conor_3 Posts: 6,944 Forumite
    Madness isn't it? Makes a complete mockery of Browns claim that it's all about the environment.
  • vaio
    vaio Posts: 12,287 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker

or a 1999 2.7L twin turbo 285bhp Audi S4 for less than a 2001 1.8 vectra.

When I bought it the 2001 cars were worth £1k+ more than the 1999 cars, I expect the position is reversed now
  • in51der
    in51der Posts: 43 Forumite
    Hi All,

With all the hoo-ha about the new car tax rates coming in next year, I keep reading news articles hoping to find out how much it will be for pre-2001 cars, but it never seems to be mentioned!

DH & I both run what most people would term 'old bangers' (well they are both old, but in excellant condition and low-mileage - we can't see the point of getting newer cars if there's nothing wrong with these!) and I want to know if we're going to have a price-hike on both our tax. Due to pending changes in jobs/hours we MAY be able to change to one car between us next year, but I'm trying to work out if this is viable, and the future expenses will affect the decision.

Can anyone help please?

TIA,

FE

Hi good news you will not be affected at all, as the tax hikes only apply to 01y reg and newer, indeed you maybe pleased to know that if you have a w/x plate car it will almost certainly be worth a few hundred pounds more than 01y for exactly that reason, so carry on enjoying your cars because all you have to worry about is the fuel price!
    Motor Trade Insider
    (google us)
    Please note no links were created during the making of this signature
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills