Calculating Net to Gross for wages.

Hi

When I get my wages I get the net pay but what I would like to do is to be able to backwards calculate what my gross was before deductions.

Is their a program (freebie) out there that can do this for me or does someone have some good maths to show me :o

:beer: :beer:

Comments

• LittleVoice
    LittleVoice Posts: 8,974 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Your payslip must show you what you have been paid gross (and how it has been calculated if it is not a standard amount every time). The deductions which lead to the nett amount should be shown too. You don't need to work it out from the amount you have received - get a proper payslip from your employer.
  • Your payslip must show you what you have been paid gross (and how it has been calculated if it is not a standard amount every time). The deductions which lead to the nett amount should be shown too. You don't need to work it out from the amount you have received - get a proper payslip from your employer.

Your assuming a lot are you not :D

I have got a proper wage slip.

I would like to do deductions myself.

I also know how a wage slip is already calculated.

And I just wanted some help to do it myself. :rolleyes:
  • tigtag02
    tigtag02 Posts: 6,857 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    aardvarkuk wrote: »
    Your assuming a lot are you not :D

I have got a proper wage slip.

I would like to do deductions myself.

I also know how a wage slip is already calculated.

And I just wanted some help to do it myself. :rolleyes:

But thats not what you asked is it?

What exactly is LV assuming :confused:

If all the info is on your payslip then why do you need to work backwards :confused:

I'm not aware of any program that would enable you to work backwards whilst also taking into consideration your tax code.

There are many to work out the correct deductions.
    :heartpuls baby no3 due 16th November :heartpuls
    TEAM YELLOW
    DFD 16/6/10
    "Shut your gob! Or I'll come round your houses and stamp on all your toys" The ONE, the ONLY, the LEGENDARY Gene Hunt :heart2:
  • tigtag02 wrote: »
    But thats not what you asked is it?

What exactly is LV assuming :confused:

If all the info is on your payslip then why do you need to work backwards :confused:

I'm not aware of any program :rolleyes: that would enable you to work backwards whilst also taking into consideration your tax code.

There are many to work out the correct deductions.

:rotfl: :rotfl: why post if you cant help

I WANT TO DO THE CALCULATIONS MYSELF IS THAT SUCH A BAD THING.

:rolleyes:

Some people, jeez. :rotfl: :rotfl:
  • tigtag02
    tigtag02 Posts: 6,857 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    aardvarkuk wrote: »
    :rotfl: :rotfl: why post if you cant help

I WANT TO DO THE CALCULATIONS MYSELF IS THAT SUCH A BAD THING.

:rolleyes:

Some people, jeez. :rotfl: :rotfl:

NO ~ IT'S NOT.

BUT, you dont need to claculate net to gross!! Gross to net will work perfectly fine!
    :heartpuls baby no3 due 16th November :heartpuls
    TEAM YELLOW
    DFD 16/6/10
    "Shut your gob! Or I'll come round your houses and stamp on all your toys" The ONE, the ONLY, the LEGENDARY Gene Hunt :heart2:
  • CharleneUK
    CharleneUK Posts: 3,206 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    I go to I-resign and it produces a clear breakdown.

http://i-resign.com/uk/financialcentre/tax_calculator.asp
    "I did then, what I knew then. And when I knew better, I did better"
  • mrkbrrws
    mrkbrrws Posts: 337 Forumite
    It could be worked backwards in a spreadsheet or if someone wrote a program/web application to do it - but I don't actually know of one either apart from an actual payroll program (like Sage Payroll) which often have a net payments function.

However, if you are only calculating in the basic rate band this could help:-

1.) Work out the difference between your actual net pay from a payslip and the net pay figure you want to calculate from.

2.) Divide the answer by 0.67.

3.) Add or subtract that as appropriate to/from the gross pay on the payslip you used in Step 1.

N.B. This will only work if all your figures stay in the basic rate band and 11% NIC band. If you know all the figures are over the higher rate threshold, you can use 0.59 in Step 2 instead.

If I've confused you then an easier solution might be to use a net pay calculator like www.listentotaxman.com to trial and error gross pay figures until you get an approximate answer.
    I am an Accountant. You should note that this site doesn't check my status as an Accountant.
    All posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and should not be seen as professional advice.
  • CLAPTON
    CLAPTON Posts: 41,865 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    if G= gross
    then
    net income =
    G-(G-5225-2230)x.22-223-(G-435)x.11

so just solve the equation for G

of course I'm assumimg you have no pension contributions and you are contracted in for SP2 and you earn more than 7455 and less than 39825 and have no benefits in kind or owe no back tax and are not above pension age.
  • MoKa_2
    MoKa_2 Posts: 25 Forumite
    I know this is an old thread, but I thought I'd add another reason why you MIGHT want to calculate gross to net.

I am currently calculating my household outgoings now versus what they will be once we complete a planned reduction in household costs. To put this into perspective, I want to work out how much better off i'd be, and liken it to the equivalent pay increase I would require to get the same benefit. Obviously the amount I save will be a net amount, after deductions, etc, so in order to see the true value of the savings as an equivalent 'pay rise', I need to gross it up.

As an example, with nice simple (and not at all realistic figures):

If I were earning £20/hour and my potential saving in the cost saving exercise was £100 per week, I wouldn't just have to work 5 hours to earn that £100, as that would be how much I would get AFTER tax. Using the link that was posted above (and manipulating the salary amount to work it backwards), I've worked out that £100 grossed up would actually be £146, which is actually more than 7 and a half hours extra to earn that £100 net.

So, the benefit of working out a net to gross figure is that I can see I would have to work 50% more time (7.5, not 5 hours) to earn the same amount of net pay after tax. :)
    My cottage industry: MoKaPottery (on FB)
    :) DFW/MFW lurker :)
    £2 saved - £78
  • CLAPTON
    CLAPTON Posts: 41,865 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    groosing up for MARGINAL earnings is different from grossing up for total earnings and very straight forward
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure