PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

cake recipe for a novelty tin

hi all,
i wondered if anyone has a nice recipe for a madeira to cook in a large novelty cake tin. i have tried once before with a recipe using 10oz flour etc but didnt taste great, dry and course. its a rocking horse wilton tin for dd 1st birthday in april and as its american it didnt have a recipe only a mix from packet. i have seen a cake mix for sale but i didnt really want to do that not knowing what it contains, and isnt very good mse.
if anyone would like to share a nice recipe for me to experiment with that would be very much appriciated.
kindest regards mel

Comments

• Pink.
    Pink. Posts: 17,675 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Hi melie,

I'm not sure about adjusting the quantities to suit your tin but I've made the one off the be-ro website and it was lovely: madeira cake

Is there a reason why it has to be madeira cake...would a sponge cake not be easier?

Pink
  • stilernin
    stilernin Posts: 1,217 Forumite
    melie3 wrote: »
    hi all,
    i wondered if anyone has a nice recipe for a madeira to cook in a large novelty cake tin. i have tried once before with a recipe using 10oz flour etc but didnt taste great, dry and course. its a rocking horse wilton tin for dd 1st birthday in april and as its american it didnt have a recipe only a mix from packet. i have seen a cake mix for sale but i didnt really want to do that not knowing what it contains, and isnt very good mse.
    if anyone would like to share a nice recipe for me to experiment with that would be very much appriciated.
    kindest regards mel

Just a thought..... fill the tin with water and let us know how much it contains. Every one who has standard round or square tins will be able to tell you the equivalent size.Then you should be able to google the quantities pehaps.
  • mrs_mix
    mrs_mix Posts: 1,800 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I have some of these novelty cake tins they are all pretty much the same size for the amount of cake mix that is needed
    the one I use is an all in sponge mix
    12 oz caster sugar
    12oz soft marg or butter
    1 lb self raising flour
    3 tsp of baking powder
    6 eggs
    about 6 tablespoons milk
    1 tsp flavouring /essence of your choice
    put all ingredients in a bowl and mix together until smooth ,creamy and well mixed
    put the mix into the greased cake tin I use this from Lakeland
    http://www.lakeland.co.uk/product.aspx/kitchenideas/baking!4198
    cook on gas mark 4 350F or 180C for 45mins to an hour should be springy to touch or test with a skewer
    this may come up above the tin I wait for it to go cold and then cut the extra off
    hth
    pam
    I didn't say it was your fault, I said I was going to blame you

I am one of the English sexy Shelias
    I'm also a hussy
  • Hi melie,

I'm not sure about adjusting the quantities to suit your tin but I've made the one off the be-ro website and it was lovely: madeira cake

Is there a reason why it has to be madeira cake...would a sponge cake not be easier?

Pink

Hi, Pink :beer: Madiera cake is usually recommended for novelty cake tins, as it's slightly denser than sponge, so leaves the tin more easily, and keeps its shape better than a regular sponge.

However, as it's going to be lathered in icing anyway, I'm sure a sponge will be fine, if you're more confident with that, melie3

Penny. x
    :rudolf: Sheep, pigs, hens and bees on our Teesdale smallholding :rudolf:
  • melie3
    melie3 Posts: 340 Forumite
    i didnt really know there was a difference sponge and madeira lol, i tried a recipe supplied by a friend and it was quite dry and 'eggy' taste. well filled my tin with water and took 4 pints then proceeded to flood kitchen tipping water down drain:eek: .
    i not too bothered what type cake it is, it is going to be covered in icing and im going to try to cut in half for jam and buttercream. oooh on mention of icing, my friend who does decorate a few cakes said that i cant used rolled icing for it. she suggested icing stars on it all over, any ideas??? i bought a little pipe bag and attachments and have tried a bit of icing, but my stars piped ok but then turned to slop never hardened, so what did i do wrong?? lol novice cake maker, but keen to learn, my other 2 daughters all had rocking horse cakes from the cake shop, at a cost of £40, but on a tight budget would love to make a cake i can be proud of. ive got my neices birthday before my dd and have promised her the same cake (practise run lol).
    one more question i have been using clover spread for the cakes, would anyone recommend real butter whats best?? ive tried stork for cakes, and not really keen on marg taste really
    thank you replies so far
    melie
  • Gingernutmeg
    Gingernutmeg Posts: 3,454 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    For these novelty Wilton tins, I've always iced them with stars made from a buttercream, not royal or water icing (royal will set too hard for kids, and water icing won't set) - double icing sugar to butter and a little vanilla essence (also a pinch of salt if you're using unsalted butter, but not if you're using salted, which will be cheaper). Beat this up well, and then colour it - paste colours are better than liquids, as you get a good colour with only a little bit of colouring, so the texture of the icing isn't affected. Pipe little stars all over the cake, it's incredibly tedious but it does get easier and it will give you a nice professional finish. Usually these fancy Wilton tins come with a coloured insert which shows you how it should look. I've never filled this type of cake, but if you do, just use jam as you do get a fair bit of buttercream with each slice because of the icing. Buttercream in the middle as well might make it a bit too sickly ...

As for flavour, I'd always go for real butter for a birthday/celebration cake. I know it's a lot more expensive, but the flavour is so much better and it will keep better too. Also, it's not as if you're doing this every week lol :)
  • SLMLK
    SLMLK Posts: 13 Forumite
    If you make butter icing with Stork or any other kind of marg, it doesn't taste very nice. I've tried it and I have to say, never again! It also doesn't pipe properly when it's marg if the icing gets warm (more so than with butter, which is fine after being popped back into the fridge to cool off again).

If you're making a novelty cake, a Google search should show you the results you need regarding photos of the finished cake. I've been searching for a particular novelty cake today and found the original Wilton instructions on about 5 different websites.

Paste, powder or gel is much more suited to colouring butter icing becase it doesn't affect the consistency in the same way liquid will.

Regarding the sponge or maderia, i'd say that was personal preference. I have heard that Madeira cakes are better suited, but personally i'm not keen on madeira cake so always bake a sponge. They've been fine for all sorts of novelty cakes.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure