Declined receipts

Options
Hi, I tried searching the forums and couldn't find the relevant information already.

Basically, is it a requirement for a company to give a declined receipt or show proof that a transaction did not go through?

I paid at a KFC drive through with a contactless card and it said approved and the assistant said ok next window. When I get there im told in fact it had not gone through and he expected me to pay again. When I asked for my declined receipt he said there isn't one and I just need to pay again.

At this stage I've had enough so I ask for the manager while I'm logging on to my banking app. The money is shown as taken. The manager sticks to they dot have to give me a declined receipt, and when I go to show him the money has left he gets aggressive and demands I move the car or he's calling the police.

So now I'm at a situation where the money hs been taken, they are refusing me a receipt or food.

So I guess its a two part question, 1) is it a legal requirement to give declined receipt (as I was under the belief it was) and 2) what can I do now other than complain to their head office which are pretty useless at dealing with complaints.

Comments

• LilElvis
    LilElvis Posts: 5,835 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Contact your bank and explain to them what happened.

I don't use a contactless card so I don't know whether you would expect to receive a "declined" receipt but I always do with my credit card.
  • hollydays
    hollydays Posts: 19,812 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Loader89 wrote: »
    Hi, I tried searching the forums and couldn't find the relevant information already.

Basically, is it a requirement for a company to give a declined receipt or show proof that a transaction did not go through?

I paid at a KFC drive through with a contactless card and it said approved and the assistant said ok next window. When I get there im told in fact it had not gone through and he expected me to pay again. When I asked for my declined receipt he said there isn't one and I just need to pay again.

At this stage I've had enough so I ask for the manager while I'm logging on to my banking app. The money is shown as taken. The manager sticks to they dot have to give me a declined receipt, and when I go to show him the money has left he gets aggressive and demands I move the car or he's calling the police.

So now I'm at a situation where the money hs been taken, they are refusing me a receipt or food.

So I guess its a two part question, 1) is it a legal requirement to give declined receipt (as I was under the belief it was) and 2) what can I do now other than complain to their head office which are pretty useless at dealing with complaints.

They took your money and gave you nothing and you just left?
  • photome
    photome Posts: 16,362 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Bake Off Boss!
    Options
    I don't think it's a legal requirement to give a declined receipt, I also didn't think a contactless transaction showed up as debited straight away, i.e. In your case in minutes, I thought it took a day or so
  • Loader89
    Options
    I did contact the bank who advised the money had actually left the account. They also said without a receipt to say it should be declined they cant attempt to claw it back. With KFC being adamant they have no receipt to give and being hostile towards me, I don't know where I stand.
  • dj1471
    dj1471 Posts: 1,968 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Home Insurance Hacker!
    Options
    If you are actually charged (i.e. the purchase appears on online banking, not just as a pending transaction) then request a chargeback from your bank, no receipt is needed simply say that you didn't receive your purchase.

As has been pointed out contactless transactions usually take a few days to be debited. Based on the advice your bank gave about disputing the transaction I wouldn't trust anything they told you.

Even if you had ended up paying twice it isn't the end of the world, you can simply request a chargeback for the duplicate transaction - I've done this myself.

If your bank refuse to do anything then raise a complaint.
  • Fosterdog
    Fosterdog Posts: 4,948 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I had the same thing happen once at a different fast food drive through, when they said it hadn't gone through it was showing as debited to me but not on their end, instead of getting angry and causing a scene I accepted their apology and redid the transaction. Mine was only for around £3 so not a huge deal if it took a few days to clear, and it did clear back to the account within a few days as it had only been ringfenced.

I also didn't get a declined receipt, but wasn't too worried as where I work uses the same pin pad systems and that doesn't give declined receipts either. As the transaction never completed the system doesn't generate a receipt. Considered going there is no law saying you have to be provided with a receipt at all there's not going to be one to say that a receipt has to be provided for a declined transaction.
  • neilmcl
    neilmcl Posts: 19,460 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I did contact the bank who advised the money had actually left the account. They also said without a receipt to say it should be declined they cant attempt to claw it back. With KFC being adamant they have no receipt to give and being hostile towards me, I don't know where I stand.
    Why did you leave? Surely the sensible thing to do was to park up and go into KFC and show the manager that the funds were taken. I'm guessing there's more to this.
  • naedanger
    naedanger Posts: 3,102 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options

I don't believe there is any legal requirement for KFC to give a receipt in the situation although I think they should have done so as a matter of common decency (even is it was a handwritten note from the teller or manager).

If you haven't got your money back yet then I suggest you complain to your bank. Your complaint should be that the failure of their system to give you a receipt automatically in this circumstance has led to your loss as you cannot now get a refund. I suspect they may agree to your complaint before the matter gets to the Financial Ombudsman Service (which is the last step in the complaint process).
  • angryparcel
    angryparcel Posts: 926 Forumite
    Options
    No law to say you have to be given a receipt of any kind (failed or approved transaction), but if you request a receipt then they MUST provide you with one
  • photome
    photome Posts: 16,362 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Bake Off Boss!
    Options
    No law to say you have to be given a receipt of any kind (failed or approved transaction), but if you request a receipt then they MUST provide you with one

MUST ? even a declined receipt.

what if the contacless terminal is remote, who do you request ,and if the transaction has been declined (for any number of reasons) there may not be a record of it
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure