MSE Credit Club

Help!
I am trying to join this and once I get to the Experian bit, I am asked to say who provides one of my credit cards.
My credit card provider (a well known building society with banking facilities and a penchant for poetic adverts) is not listed, no matter how many times I refresh the page to get a different selection. I discovered this by accident. Some selctions are repeated over and over.
If I don't choose one then I can't proceed to the next page, even though I have given two different bank accounts in answer to the next two questions.
If I pick any one just to proceed to the next page then that's false information which is pointless.
Why is this application so difficult??

Comments

• RG2015
    RG2015 Posts: 5,903 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    If the card is more than 10 years old Experian may not see it. My main bank account dates from 1974 but none of the credit agencies can see this.

I put this in the application as my main account and it said the account was not recognised. I then put in a newer account from 2015 and this was fine even though it was not my main account.

Your example is interesting since it thinks you have a credit card but not from Nationwide. I assume that you do not have a credit card from someone else that you may have forgotten about.
  • MSE_Chris
    MSE_Chris Posts: 200 MSE Staff
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    edited 7 July 2017 at 9:39AM
    craobhan wrote: »
    Help!
    I am trying to join this and once I get to the Experian bit, I am asked to say who provides one of my credit cards.
    My credit card provider (a well known building society with banking facilities and a penchant for poetic adverts) is not listed, no matter how many times I refresh the page to get a different selection. I discovered this by accident. Some selctions are repeated over and over.
    If I don't choose one then I can't proceed to the next page, even though I have given two different bank accounts in answer to the next two questions.
    If I pick any one just to proceed to the next page then that's false information which is pointless.
    Why is this application so difficult??

Hi Craobhan,

The Credit Club verification questions are required by Experian to confirm your identity and are taken based on information in your credit report based on the information you provided (your name, date of birth, and address). For fraud protection reasons, Experian doesn’t share any detail about individual accounts with us.

As the previous post also mentioned, if you've had your credit card since before 1998, it won't appear on your credit report as the lender won't have your permission to share your data with the Credit Referencing Agencies as part of the Data Protection Act.

If it’s providing you with a list of companies that you don’t recognise, this may also be because some companies operate under different names (for example, Debenhams’ credit card is operated by ‘New Day’).

If you’re certain that these companies aren’t linked to your credit history in any way, then it might be worth obtaining a copy of your statutory credit report to see what cards Experian has on your report and do double-check there aren’t any errors on your file.

More info on how to get your Experian Statutory Report can be found here:
    http://www.experian.co.uk/consumer/statutory-report.html

Hopefully you're then able to answer these questions correctly and get access to Credit Club.
  • craobhan
    craobhan Posts: 45 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Thank you. I have had a credit card in the past from Capital One but the account was closed. I will try to get a separate Experian report and see what it says.
  • craobhan
    Aha!! I got a quickie from Clearscore. Seems my M&S store card counts as a credit card. Off to redo the Credit Club.
  • craobhan
    Now this is getting annoying. I got back to the Experian part but was instantly logged back out and told to come back next month and check my report.
    I tried again and this time was asked to verify my details. Everything on the first page was still correct so I clicked "next" to get to the credit card part only to get told that I had failed the checks and was logged out again.
    Third attempt by choosing the option to alter/update my info but yet again I couldn't get past the first page and got the failed message and was forcibly logged out.
    What is going on?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport