Best way to get cash in India

We are travelling to India in 6 weeks
The Indian Rupee cannot be taken into or out of the country so its a case of ATMs and banks
We have got the Barclaycard Platinum Visa Credit card so we can get free cash withdrawals. but I presume this has a daily limit
This is my dilemma
We need to withdraw (£1,553) Rs. 126,941 for the retreat we are staying at. at the start of our holiday.
Can anyone advise if a prepaid card would have a limit on withdrawals, if not which is the best one to get
Or is there a better way
Any advise would be gratefully received

Comments

• WAYT
    WAYT Posts: 694 Forumite
    You need more cards.
    One each from Monzo
    One each from Loot

Those four will give you a daily withdrawal limit of up to £1000 per day.
    Perhaps one each from say Virgin Money Essential Current Account Issue 2 Basic account.

They will make six cards and a withdrawal limit of up to £1500 per day.

Of course if there is more than two in the party, they can just take out Monzo and/or Loot accounts. Don't neglect to verify the accounts, otherwise you will be subject to lower limits.
  • thanks
    I'd rather not take out more cards as will only need to make this 1 large withdrawal
    Thats why i was asking about prepaid
    i will look at those if i don't get any other options
    thanks for replying
  • worried_jim
    worried_jim Posts: 11,631 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    See if the owners want £ or $?

I use Monzo.
  • the want rupees ��
  • WAYT
    WAYT Posts: 694 Forumite
    thanks
    I'd rather not take out more cards as will only need to make this 1 large withdrawal
    Thats why i was asking about prepaid
    i will look at those if i don't get any other options
    thanks for replying

They are prepaid. Pay attention. :)
  • Ballard
    Ballard Posts: 2,850 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 8 June 2017 at 9:59PM
    I was in India last November and the ATM limit was lowered to R2,000 per day. I've just Googled and the limit was raised to R10,000 in January. It may subsequently have been raised again but in my brief search I couldn't see anything along those lines.

Whilst I was there it was impossible to exchange Sterling (or any other currency) due to the withdrawal of the R500 & R1,000 notes. Hopefully there will now be sufficient banknotes in circulation to allow foreign exchange.

I would suggest that you contact the retreat to ask them any questions. If they take cards (many places do in India nowadays) then this would probably be the easiest way to go.

It's worth me repeating that R500 & R1,000 notes are now worthless. There's a new R2,000 note with the next biggest being R100. Do not accept R500 & R1,000 notes under any circumstances.
    I hate verisimilitude.
  • sorry - oops
    I will investigate further :j
  • eDicky
    eDicky Posts: 6,574 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Those cards cost nothing, give the best rates, and will provide backup to your Barclaycard.

Check whether the retreat venue takes card payment. Taking cash pounds to exchange there would be simp!e.
    Evolution, not revolution
  • pogofish
    pogofish Posts: 10,852 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 9 June 2017 at 1:25AM
    Wouldn't it be a wonderful idea for MSE to devote a whole subforum to overseas currency issues?

Unless of course the purpose of your visit is just to draw money?

eta - ahem:

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5619936
  • henry24
    henry24 Posts: 322 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    We are going later in the year on an organised tour for 18 days and the tour company says to get our visas from a company they recommend but at nearly £200 each this seems a bit dear. Do we need to or are we okay to get them from the Indian website (that I don't no how to put link for)?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure