Can I get sky plus with no phone line?

2»

Comments

• i moved into my flat 3 years ago and had a dish already up outside, with the wires inside the living room.

i bought a couple of connectors and a second hand box off ebay and hooked up the box myself with no problem.

about a year later, bought a second hand sky + box and paid an independent bloke to fit the extra LNB and cable, and upgraded to a full sky + subscription.

all without connection to a phone line.
  • lgb2100
    lgb2100 Posts: 148
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    BexTech wrote: »
    As long as you don't have multi-room there is no need for a phone line connection. The phone line requirement is for multi-room so they can check each month if the boxes are in the same house.

You can pay the £25 manual activation fee or take the gamble the engineer will activate it without the fee being paid.

I don't want to take the gamble and have a enginner come out and refuse to fit sky because of me not wanting it connected to a telephone line.

Is there anywhere on Sky's website/literature that mentions the opt out and it's current fee ?
  • what happens if you've already got sky+ and a phone line then you cancel the phone line? does the sky+ still work with all it's original functionality?
  • BexTech
    BexTech Posts: 4,772 Forumite
    mcmurphy wrote: »
    what happens if you've already got sky+ and a phone line then you cancel the phone line? does the sky+ still work with all it's original functionality?

Yes, other than you can't order PPV movies or events or use some of the paid for interactive features.

The box itself doesn't actually require a phone line, everything is downloaded via the satellite - changes to the EPG, updates to the software etc.
    It's PAC not PAC Code, it's MAC not MAC Code, it's PIN not PIN Number, it's ATM not ATM Machine, it's LCD not LCD Display, it's DVD not DVD disc... It's no one not noone, It's a lot not alot, It's got not gotten... Panini is the plural of panino - there is no S!!
    (OK my English isn't great, the sciences, maths & IT are my strong points!)
  • Tommok
    Tommok Posts: 27 Forumite
    Yes, other than you can't order PPV movies or events or use some of the paid for interactive features.

The box itself doesn't actually require a phone line, everything is downloaded via the satellite - changes to the EPG, updates to the software etc.

I know this applies to normal Sky package as I currently have one and my phone line has been dead for years and I have no problems with reception and can order PPV stuff and use interactive etc etc.

Is it definitely true for Sky+ though?? I have heard people say that Sky+ does need an active phone line?

I've just 'recommended a friend to Sky' and so have been offered a free Sky+ box or £50 M&S vouchers. I really want Sky+ but don't want to have to shell out for a phone line reactivation/line rental and so will go for M&S vouchers if that's the case!
  • BexTech
    Tommok wrote: »
    I know this applies to normal Sky package as I currently have one and my phone line has been dead for years and I have no problems with reception and can order PPV stuff and use interactive etc etc.

Is it definitely true for Sky+ though?? I have heard people say that Sky+ does need an active phone line?

I've just 'recommended a friend to Sky' and so have been offered a free Sky+ box or £50 M&S vouchers. I really want Sky+ but don't want to have to shell out for a phone line reactivation/line rental and so will go for M&S vouchers if that's the case!

You only need a phone line if you have multi-room - more than one box and the subscription is copied across at the £10 - multi-room discount. The phone line is needed for multi-room as they need a way of checking if you have both boxes or more at the same address and not sharing the subscription costs with someone else at a different address.

If you only have one box or only have a subscription on one box and therefore don't have multi-room, it doesn't matter whether it is a standard box, Sky+ box or the Sky+HD box you don't need a phone line.

You can't order PPV via the box if you don't have a phone line*, you have to call in (higher costs). * You box may buffer up so many purchases until you reach your credit limit and then will stop you ordering more PPV until the box is connected to the phone line again.

Sometimes with discounted offers they do stipulate you need the box connected to phone line for 12 months, however for non-multi-room installations they don't police it.
    It's PAC not PAC Code, it's MAC not MAC Code, it's PIN not PIN Number, it's ATM not ATM Machine, it's LCD not LCD Display, it's DVD not DVD disc... It's no one not noone, It's a lot not alot, It's got not gotten... Panini is the plural of panino - there is no S!!
  • Tommok
    Tommok Posts: 27 Forumite
    You only need a phone line if you have multi-room - more than one box and the subscription is copied across at the £10 - multi-room discount. The phone line is needed for multi-room as they need a way of checking if you have both boxes or more at the same address and not sharing the subscription costs with someone else at a different address.

If you only have one box or only have a subscription on one box and therefore don't have multi-room, it doesn't matter whether it is a standard box, Sky+ box or the Sky+HD box you don't need a phone line.

You can't order PPV via the box if you don't have a phone line*, you have to call in (higher costs). * You box may buffer up so many purchases until you reach your credit limit and then will stop you ordering more PPV until the box is connected to the phone line again.

Sometimes with discounted offers they do stipulate you need the box connected to phone line for 12 months, however for non-multi-room installations they don't police it.

Excellent - very useful thanks.

I noticed in the terms and conditions for the Introduce a friend thing they did mention about needing it fixed to a phone line for 12 months but good to know it isn't policed.

I'll get on to them in the morning and order my sky+ box!
  • BexTech
    Tommok wrote: »
    Excellent - very useful thanks.

I noticed in the terms and conditions for the Introduce a friend thing they did mention about needing it fixed to a phone line for 12 months but good to know it isn't policed.

I'll get on to them in the morning and order my sky+ box!

They don't police it after the install, however you may find the engineer won't install without phone line without manual activation fee, others don't care and the install is pre activated.
  • I have sky+ in my living room and a box in my bedroom which just has freeview.

I do have a BT landline but neiher sky boxes are connected to it. Sky+ works fine.
    Lightbulb moment Dec 2005 - debt £23700

June 2010 - £17984.21
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family