Having a child and saving for retirement. Advice from parents & non parents alike?

Options

Comments

• Suffolk_lass
    Suffolk_lass Posts: 9,341 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    We are 25 years older than you and your wife, and were in roughly your position at roughly your age. We have one Son (now 25) and we really struggled when he was little. We had no nearby relatives and at 35, no contemporaries with babies I could split responsibilities with. I returned to work when he was three months old (end of paid maternity leave) and put him into nursery. I paid most of my salary until he started school, paying for nursery and baby-sitters and my husband paid the bills and living expenses. I also felt self-conscious, inadequate and inept around babies but they are quite robust and it didn't matter.

After he started school it was better - swaps with other parents and holiday play schemes, coupled with time at Grandma's or Grandma coming to stay helped hugely, together with the occasional single parent holiday (we took our leave at different times to minimise costs and cover the holidays) and staggered working days to cover drop-off and pick ups.

Now I am looking towards retirement and the fact i kept paying into my pension has stood us in good stead. My husband changed career in his forties and so his pension position is multi-faceted. He pays into a teacher's pension now but had a private pension that we set up after we met.

It has worked for us. Paying bills, economising where we can (and others have described) doesn't make your life less rich, just different. We have also overspent at times and had to manage debt down. I don't regret having our Son. He enriches our lives and we would not change our decision. Financially we are better off now, and our earnings make our life a comfortable balance.

Like I say, I would not change our decision.
    Save £12k in 2024 - #2 target is £5000 only £798.34 so far
    OS Grocery Challenge 2024 25.04% spent or £754.10/£3,000 annual
    I also Reverse Meal Plan on that thread and grow much of our own premium price fruit and veg, joining in on the Grow your own thread
    My Debt Free Diary Get a grip Woman
  • AnotherJoe
    AnotherJoe Posts: 19,622 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    justme111 wrote: »
    Re living on one salary for a trial - why would you , wife would get maternity payment , would not she? You obviously would not be able to live on one salary only as your bills equal to one salary and you have food and other miscellaneous expenses on top. Why would someone even suggest it - don't people read the authors posts and just write the same no matter what particular numbers are?

Well, I'm one of the several people who suggested it so iI'll tell you why. It may be that the wife cannot work, or has to take a lower paid job, or effectively earns a much reduced wage because of childcare costs, or simply decides once baby is here that actually she'd like to be a full time mum. You never know about the latter until it happens despite intentions beforehand.

So a trial while they have the freedom to experiment is a much more prudent approach than blithely assuming that wife will get maternity pay same as full current wages and that everything will go back to as was within a year. As said wife may even decide she would rather care for her own child for the first few years even if a full wage is available. And it's not as if she is on such a high salary that childcare costs will still leave her with a substantial take home pay if she does plump for childcare.

So, as a test of how they would cope and also feel living on that single salary ('feel' because they would have to be much more careful than now) and that would also give a guide to their income in retirement, and since such financial matters were key to the OP, it's the whole basis of the post, it seems a reasonable approach to me, and not one to be dismiss out of hand on the basis that nothing will change after after having kids.

So, that's why, HTH :D
  • Triumph13
    Triumph13 Posts: 1,730 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    As said earlier - we're actually a little boring, so we wouldn't be giving up a social life. We're actually socially awkward so it can't impact on a life you have with friends if you don't have friends - but we're both fine with all of that.
    Having children can often be one of the best ways of making friends as you end up meeting loads of people who by definition have a major part of their life in common - from NCT ante natal groups through to play dates, the school gate. PTA, etc, etc. If you're lucky your kids themselves will become your good friends too. Kids fundamentally change your social life, but by no means do they end it.
    The finances are an issue, but there are many different ways that people cope. You almost certainly won't be able to retire as early if you have kids than if you didn't, but most people who have kids will tell you that the compensations are more than worth it.
  • justme111
    justme111 Posts: 3,508 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Another Joe, he was questioning retirement, not how they would cope now. So sughestion of living on one wage has nothing to do with the original query. If one would want to see how they would cope now which is a different topic then the reasonable start would be to see what their income and expenditure with a child would be , not try wild guesses that the wife will never work again. By the numbers op provides the whole of one salary goes on bills. How suggesting they try to live on it makes sense?
    The word "dilemma" comes from Greek where "di" means two and "lemma" means premise. Refers usually to difficult choice between two undesirable options.
    Often people seem to use this word mistakenly where "quandary" would fit better.
  • AnotherJoe
    AnotherJoe Posts: 19,622 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Another Joe, he was questioning retirement, not how they would cope now. So sughestion of living on one wage has nothing to do with the original query. If one would want to see how they would cope now which is a different topic then the reasonable start would be to see what their income and expenditure with a child would be , not try wild guesses that the wife will never work again. By the numbers op provides the whole of one salary goes on bills. How suggesting they try to live on it makes sense?

I think i said it, but if i didn't, I'll say it now, his income in retirement would be roughly equal to his income with one salary, if he doesn't fancy that lifestyle, with a child it may well arrive a LOT sooner than retirement.
  • justme111
    justme111 Posts: 3,508 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I must have missed it then - how have you come to that number ?
    The word "dilemma" comes from Greek where "di" means two and "lemma" means premise. Refers usually to difficult choice between two undesirable options.
    Often people seem to use this word mistakenly where "quandary" would fit better.
  • jamesd
    jamesd Posts: 26,103 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 14 July 2017 at 1:36PM
    Options
    There were two main things beyond prudence that struck me about your question: her age and your incomes.

You wrote about a one year time window so you're probably aware of the risks to the health of both child and mother from delay, as well as the decreasing chance of conception. So no need to write more about this than agreeing that you do have a time limit.

Incomes offer more possibilities. It seems likely that you will end up receiving working tax credit if she isn't working and there's a child. One interesting feature of WTC is that pension contributions increase the WTC payments because the contributions are deducted from the income used in the calculation.

So a strategy to consider is to make pension contributions at a high enough level that your household qualifies for the maximum possible amount of WTC now. That's a tougher test than one income, which better reflects the financial strain of relying on them with a child as well. This can also eliminate your income tax bill by taking your incomes down to within the personal allowance.

The WTC is on top of the pension tax relief so draw a bit on her savings to get maximum WTC if that's what it takes. It's more free money and you deserve the extra help.

If you had more time I'd suggest a strategy of max WTC for a year or three then none but maximum savings to accumulate a reserve of savings to draw on, then repeat. It's an approach that can produce a major boost to eventual income for those with low incomes in only a few years if it's done early enough for compounding investment growth to work its magic.

Your wife having £7500 in an ISA may be a problem because of savings limits for some benefits. Something to check to see whether you might get reduced council tax, say.

Each ten thousand Pounds of lump sum invested for 33 years at a growth rate of 4.5% after inflation would produce a pot of 44 thousand at say age 68. Allowing for the usual preference for income when young and declining spending as people age about six percent of that rather than the usual four percent might be taken as income. So £2640 a year. Pretty good result from about one year's effort. You might be able to manage twice that or a bit more. Not at all bad as a top up to about eight thousand each in state pensions.

So far as the workplace pensions go, try to always do the maximum that gets employer matching. Might be the minimum the law forces the employer to do. By 2018 the legal requirement for employee, employer and tax relief will be eight percent of the relevant band of pay unless the employee opts out. I'll assume that the band is fourteen thousand and that's a regular monthly contribution of 93. Over the same 33 years that produces a pot of 84 thousand. Well worth having.

Since children don't appear instantly you might be able to do the max WTC thing for two or even three years, depending on when conception ends up happening. An excellent boost.

The median average pensioner household income is around 23 thousand a year. You appear to have the potential to get to that level with a bit of initial determination and fairly modest ongoing cost, helped by means tested benefits. Given what appears to be possible I don't think that concerns about eventual retirement income should be a barrier provided you're willing to make the initial substantial commitment and ongoing smaller one.
  • atush
    atush Posts: 18,726 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Also thanks to you.

That's the pair of you made that decision and the more i think about it the more i think it's a very good one. Even from not having a child standing. Could we just live off 1 wage? It's an interesting thought and I think we should see if we can do it.

Worst case scenario is we fail and dip into my wife's wage.
    Other than that is we save a full wage so will have a nice amount built up over time.

Though your post did make me wonder - you mentioned so many nappies and a huge bill ... did you not have those terry toweling ones rather than disposable? I've heard they've changed from when i was a kid when they resembled pretty much just a tea towel. All news to me.

No, I never used towel nappies. One, they leak. 2 I am a scientist, so know what others dont. The chemicals used to clean and sterilize them, are worse for the environment than the other type of nappy.

3 they are messy, smelly and inconvenient. The best way to do it that way, is old school and have a nappy service that delivers cleaned ones and takes away the soiled ones.

What we need to do going forwards, is to use the soiled nappies for energy. So scientists in that area- get cooking!

once you try to feed and change a baby at 3am (or even 2) in the dark, you wont be thinking of terry towel nappies i assure you!
    Could we just live off 1 wage? It's an interesting thought and I think we should see if we can do it.

I think you have to do this. If you cant live off one wage, for at least a bit, then you cant afford to have a child as she will need to be off work for at least 2 months. Most people take longer, what will her work offer her as paid Maternity leave?

But at least if you save between now and the birth of any baby, she should be able to take of a year or two if she wants to.

i had a professor at UNI who was a real taskmaster. She was pregnant and we used to joke she would have the baby on a friday night, and be back at work on Monday. In the end, she did take a whole week off lol. Actually, the isnt quite true. She had the baby on a friday night and came back the next friday so only took 4 days off ;)
  • Not_Me_Officer
    Options
    Re living on one salary for a trial - why would you , wife would get maternity payment , would not she? You obviously would not be able to live on one salary only as your bills equal to one salary and you have food and other miscellaneous expenses on top. Why would someone even suggest it - don't people read the authors posts and just write the same no matter what particular numbers are?
    Well yes.
    I didn't take their suggestion as literally living on the one income even though their posts suggested that.
    I know we would be eligible for maternity pay. Apparently we wouldn't qualify for tax credits or whatever it's called due to my wage.
    My wife would also go back to work full time (her choice through necessity) as soon as would be possible. I don't know when that would be. I guess perhaps at age 4 when the child goes to primary school. Maybe before if possible.

But yeah i would have to calculate my wage plus the maternity pay and then use this as a figure to live off month-to-month to see if we could do it. That would be the idea.
  • Not_Me_Officer
    Options
    jamesd wrote: »
    There were two main things beyond prudence that struck me about your question: her age and your incomes.

You wrote about a one year time window so you're probably aware of the risks to the health of both child and mother from delay, as well as the decreasing chance of conception. So no need to write more about this than agreeing that you do have a time limit.
    Yes we're aware of the increased risks at this stage. In addition my wife was premature, born after only 22 or 24 weeks (i forget the exact number but it was one of those) which i understand increases risks further. I'm also sure i remember very very early on in us getting to know each other my wife telling me she was once pregnant but lost the child. It's not the sort of thing that comes easy in conversation or i'd like to bring up - "hey you remember that one time you said to me..." but this has been at the back of my mind also and will probably be in hers too.
    Incomes offer more possibilities. It seems likely that you will end up receiving working tax credit if she isn't working and there's a child. One interesting feature of WTC is that pension contributions increase the WTC payments because the contributions are deducted from the income used in the calculation.
    I spoke with a workmate who tells me they get WTC. I ran a calculator but i must be putting in the wrong info or something because it says we're entitled to £0. Interesting what you said about that and pensions though - i was unaware.

Your wife having £7500 in an ISA may be a problem because of savings limits for some benefits. Something to check to see whether you might get reduced council tax, say.
    I guess she could just put it into a pension, or would that be seen as hiding assets or whatever it's called?
    So far as the workplace pensions go, try to always do the maximum that gets employer matching. Might be the minimum the law forces the employer to do. By 2018 the legal requirement for employee, employer and tax relief will be eight percent of the relevant band of pay unless the employee opts out. I'll assume that the band is fourteen thousand and that's a regular monthly contribution of 93. Over the same 33 years that produces a pot of 84 thousand. Well worth having.
    Unfortunately so long as we stay with our current employers (which seems likely at the moment) then it'll only ever be the minimum. Still, no money is better than free money so we've stayed in it :)
    The median average pensioner household income is around 23 thousand a year. You appear to have the potential to get to that level with a bit of initial determination and fairly modest ongoing cost, helped by means tested benefits. Given what appears to be possible I don't think that concerns about eventual retirement income should be a barrier provided you're willing to make the initial substantial commitment and ongoing smaller one.
    Thank you very much for your post. Very helpful.
    I'm the saver of us both so if anything it would be harder for my wife to do that. For the house deposit on such an income i was able to build £40k. This was before my wife's contribution. The mortgage application was put on hold as the bank made enquiries as they couldn't understand how a 20 something on such an income could have such a deposit.

But like i said. Boring life to the outsiders. I rarely drink, i've never smoked and i was still able to treat myself to things along the way to the £40k and that was with having a lot of time off work too due to medical issues otherwise i would've been around the £50k mark. So having a saving mentality isn't a new idea to me.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure