Employment Advice PLEASE!!

Hi,
A good friend of mine is in a difficult position with her employee.

Her company have been prevented from entering the business premises by the landlord. I don't know the reasons for this but my friend is concerned how she stands legally surrounding her job.
Her employer is paying her at the moment but how does she stand for the future if the situation continues? Will she be entitled to redundancy as shes been there for 8 years and can she claim benefit if they stop paying her? She isn't unemployed but she isn't actually working either although still officially employed.
I apologise for the lack of information but if someone could help I would be very grateful

Many thanks

Aly66 :A

Comments

• sangie595
    sangie595 Posts: 6,092 Forumite
    If she is ready and willing to work, then the employer needs to be paying her. The employers problems aren't hers, and she is still entitled to be paid. Be beyond that I'm sorry, but we don't know what is going on and what may happen in the future, so nobody can answer your question with anything better than a probably. You really need to come back as soon as you have more information - if we know more we can advise better!
  • TELLIT01
    TELLIT01 Posts: 16,455 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper PPI Party Pooper
    Alarm bells would be ringing for me if the employer is being refused access by the landlord. Most likely reason is not paying the rent, although clearly there can be other reasons. If the company is in that much of a financial bind it's possible they will soon stop paying wages too.
    If the company closed your friend would be entitled to redundancy pay, but if the employer goes bust I believe the government will pay it, but I don't know the details of how, or how long it might take.
  • sangie595
    sangie595 Posts: 6,092 Forumite
    TELLIT01 wrote: »
    Alarm bells would be ringing for me if the employer is being refused access by the landlord. Most likely reason is not paying the rent, although clearly there can be other reasons. If the company is in that much of a financial bind it's possible they will soon stop paying wages too.
    If the company closed your friend would be entitled to redundancy pay, but if the employer goes bust I believe the government will pay it, but I don't know the details of how, or how long it might take.
    And that's why I don't like giving predictions about things that haven't happened:

(a) not paying the rent was my first thought too- but the employer IS paying wages after the lock out, and that is highly unusual. Normally the lock out would occur alongside everything else not being paid.

(b) no, the employer "going bust" doesn't always mean that the redundancy pay gets paid. The employer must become insolvent - not simply shut up shop and walk away. There is no way that I could say that someone will get redundancy pay without knowing what happened!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure