PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

cheaper cuts of meat

Comments

• thriftlady_2
    thriftlady_2 Posts: 9,128 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Kiwichick, oxtail is the tail of an ox :D well you did ask.It is indeed the cow's tail.It is usually sold cut into sections,big ones from the top of the tail and smaller bits from the end.They are surprisingly meaty,and when cooked long and very slow in SC or oven,the meat becomes deliciously sticky and savoury.

I am sure you can use hm stock for casseroles,or as base for gravy.If you put it in the fridge overnight the fat will rise to the top and you can just take it off.

I must say your OH doesn't know how lucky he is, having a veggie cook meat for him-or maybe he does? ;)
  • Smiley_Mum
    Smiley_Mum Posts: 3,836 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    I usually brown oxtail in a pan first and then add in my veg and stuff when I put in slow cooker. Little bit of flour at end to thicken gravy. Oxtail is already to go, I usually wash my meat though, do other people? Just put it in a big pan and brown it. You could roll the oxtail in some seasoned flour, brown in a pan, throw in some veg, onions, carrots, turnip, chunky cut and then put in some stock and cook on a low heat. Not sure for how long though as I usually do mine in the SC overnight. Someone else might oblige with the timings.

I'm sure you could use the stock you make from the bones in the casserole, no problem. Also, place it in fridge once it's cooled and you can then just lift of the fat from the top of it, easier than skimming it off with a spoon when it is still warm. HTH.
    “Ordinary riches can be stolen, real riches cannot. In your soul are infinitely precious things that cannot be taken from you.” - Oscar Wilde
  • thriftlady_2
    thriftlady_2 Posts: 9,128 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Great minds think alike Smiley Mum!
  • calleyw
    calleyw Posts: 9,822 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Al,

Go to www.beefyandlamby.co.uk

It has links on the left hand margin that take you the various cuts and how to ccok them

Thanks brilliant site even has videos on how to carve certain joints.

Yours

Calley
    Hope for everything and expect nothing!!!

Good enough is almost always good enough -Prof Barry Schwartz

If it scares you, it might be a good thing to try -Seth Godin
  • Smiley_Mum
    I've been Money Tipped!
    thriftlady wrote:
    Great minds think alike Smiley Mum!

We both posted at 7.32pm, wow!
    “Ordinary riches can be stolen, real riches cannot. In your soul are infinitely precious things that cannot be taken from you.” - Oscar Wilde
  • Smiley_Mum
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Hi,

Sorry to go off thread a bit. Does anyone know off hand what the current cost of oxtail is? Just curious, fancy getting some on Monday to do a casserole for myself and the kids. Thanks. Need enough to do one adult and two little ones, 4 and 6 with biggish appetites. Cheers for any info.
  • I have seen it in morrisons, very cheap - never known what to do with it so never bought it, however may visit local butcher as I have recently bought a freezer lamb for £65, bones and all. I got 4 legs, 4 shoulders, 20 chops, 2 kidneys, 2 breast, a packet of trimmings, a tray of stewing lamb, the bag of bones was huge.At the very least thats 20 meals for four people, at around £3 a meal for lovely local lamb.
  • Smiley_Mum wrote:
    Hi,

Sorry to go off thread a bit. Does anyone know off hand what the current cost of oxtail is?

Varies a lot - good local butcher is your best bet - (make sure your butcher does not fob you off with pieces taken only from the end of the tail, which tends to be scrawnier)

For example, Lower Hurst Farm has organic oxtail at £6 per kg (Although non-organic from local butcher may cost much less than that):
    http://www.lowerhurstfarm.co.uk/store/results3.asp?MeatType=25

Recipe:
    Oxtail and shin of beef daube with garlic, shallots and a touch of chocolate:
    http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,21392-1961447,00.html
    "The happiest of people don't necessarily have the
    best of everything; they just make the best
    of everything that comes along their way."
    -- Author Unknown --
  • Smiley_Mum
    I've been Money Tipped!
    I'll get some at my local butcher tomorrow, he is a Q Guild one and has won loads of awards, so I know I will be getting top quality. I'll certainly make sure I get the meatier pieces from the top of the tail, read that on another site somewhere too. Thanks for the info.
  • Chicken is far cheaper per kg/lb if you buy whole chickens and cut them up yourself.

In my 'beginners cookbook' it suggests buying the chicken and getting the butcher to do this for you. My butcher sells a free range chicken for about £4, which is cheaper than free range in the supermarket. I haven't actually done this yet, but it makes sense and I will ask next time I'm there.

I'm gradually trying to get to grips with the butcher. I went in to order a turkey crown but I didn't know the difference between a crown and a boned/rolled joint so he took me into a back room and showed me the different joints and explained how to cook them. I didn't know anything about sizes/weights etc so I just asked for "enough for 4 people without too many left overs". When I collected it it was perfect!

On a related note, I went into a fishmongers and bought a large piece of smoked haddock and 2 very large salmon fillets for about £4.50. He then took the skin off for me (I'm squeamish :o ). A bit cheaper than Tescos and a lovely jolly chap. :)

We're trying to make an effort to go to butchers/fishmongers/farm shops when we can now. We can't always do it as it means giving up a Saturday morning to go shopping (yuk) but it does seem worth it. I used to buy value meat all the time but I've realised that although it can sometimes work out more expensive it's so much nicer. We just don't eat it as much so we stick within budget.
    New year, no debt! Debt free date - 02/01/07 :j :j :j :D
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport