Confused by credit cards..

Options
I have a credit card with santander, who I've been banking with since they were Abbey National, but my 0% interest on purchases is now up, so I'm looking at getting a new credit card to balance transfer to (and obviously to use, but only for 1 large purchase a year).
So far, I've been offered £3000 less than my current limit by one bank, declined by another, and offered a card, the limit of which I won't know until after I've opened the account by yet another. I'm completely stumped by what to do, and don't know if continuing to apply for cards with the possibility of being declined is going to affect my credit rating and/or eligibility for a decent limit on a card.

I only have a credit card to rent cars in the USA when I manage to get over there, and would probably have managed to pay off most of the balance, had I not encountered some unforeseen circumstances last year.

Can anyone walk me though any of this, please?

Comments

• Ebe_Scrooge
    Ebe_Scrooge Posts: 7,320 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 23 March 2017 at 7:49PM
    Options
    First off, what are you looking for - 0% purchases, or 0% balance transfers ? They are 2 different beasts. The purchases gives you a promotional rate of 0% APR on any purchases put through the card ( and I think this is what you want, for an occasional car hire - though make sure that you're still within the promotional period ). Balance transfer - this allows you to "pay off" an existing balance on an interest-bearing card, and shift it to a promotional 0% APR rate on another card. There is usually a Balance Transfer fee, expressed as a percentage of the amount transferred - you need to calculate whether the fee outweighs the interest you'd otherwise be paying.

But you say that "I only have a credit card to rent cars in the USA". If that's the case, can you not set up a Direct Debit to pay the statement balance in full every month ? That way you can use the card, and the APR is irrelevant - you'll pay no interest anyway.

One caveat - beware of spending on a balance transfer card. Read the T&Cs carefully, particularly with respect to how your payments are allocated. Rules 'n' regs have tightened up considerably, thankfully to the consumer's favour. But it's often far simpler to keep one card for balance transfers, and another for spending.

Finally - yes, multiple applications in a short space of time will reflect badly on your credit file. Rightly or wrongly, lenders will see this as a sign that you're desperate for money. One or two applications is fine, more than this starts to ring alarm bells. Leave it at least six months before making another application.
  • elflocks
    Options
    Thanks for your reply.
    I'm after 0% on purchases for as long as possible, and of course I want to be able to transfer my current debt - does that mean I'd need something with 0% on balance transfers? (I don't even know if I'm getting any of this right, as I really don't fully understand any of it!)
    Currently the balance transfer fee offered on most of the cards I've looked at has been way less than the yearly interest.
    I don't earn much (carer for disabled son), so I've been paying off the minimum amount by direct debit every month, and throwing lump sums at my balance as and when I can.

So you think it's a bad idea to apply for the 3rd time today?! ��
  • Ebe_Scrooge
    Ebe_Scrooge Posts: 7,320 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    OK. This is going to sound horribly judgemental, and I don't mean it to be .. but, you're looking to transfer your existing debt, and also spend more on a card ?

First off, 0% cards are usually only offered to those with a good credit history ( ignore your "score", it's worthless ). Yes, transferring an interest-bearing debt to interest-fee is obviously sensible. But why do you want interest-free purchases as well ?

Where I'm coming from - what happens when the interest-free promotion runs out, and you switch to their standard APR ? There's no guarantee that you can get another 0% card to switch to, and you're suddenly lumbered with the interest.

But if you're currently only paying the minimum, and throwing extra at the debt as and when ( which, in itself, is admirable ), this would appear to indicate that you're struggling ? The last thing you want to be doing is running up more CC debt.

Sorry, like I say, this is not meant to be a dig. Just coming from someone who's been there, done that etc. and come out the other side a lot wiser, though not without a heck of a lot of troubles and heartache :-)
  • elflocks
    Options
    I do see where you're coming from, however, when I say I'm throwing money at it as and when, it's about £100 a month, and if I hadn't had those pesky unforeseen circumstances happen last year (bad judgement call on my part), I'd have already paid the card off in full before I started getting hit with the interest.
    I'm just trying to get to a place where I don't have high interest payments so I can get on top of it again.
  • john2054
    john2054 Posts: 202 Forumite
    Options
    Please stop applying for cards. Otherwise your rating/score/report, will tank faster than the titanic!
  • bazzyb
    bazzyb Posts: 1,584 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    elflocks wrote: »
    So far, I've been offered £3000 less than my current limit by one bank,

£3k less than your limit or less than your balance? If it covers the balance you are looking to transfer then why not take this?

If I have understood correctly that you are an unemployed carer then your options will be somewhat limited I'm afraid.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure