Huawei G300 £65 from Tesco

Comments

• sillygoose
    sillygoose Posts: 4,794 Forumite
    edited 4 October 2012 at 8:24AM
    deanos wrote: »
    do you have a link please ?

i did the official update but phone is a bit buggy since :(

This method is the full update way - it will wipe EVERYTHING but should not affect your unlock or IMEI.

You need a (2gb min) SD card formatted.

Download the V100R001C203B940.zip file, 2nd link on THIS PAGE (you may have to sign up to download) onto your PC then unzip the 'dload' folder and its contents from the zip file to the SD card (root folder, not under another folder).

Edit: probably best to unzip all the zip file folders and contents to SD card just in case

Edit: Turn off fast boot in settings on phone - shouldn't matter but just in case.

Make sure phone is charged, SIM out, SD card in, hold down and keep held BOTH volume buttons whilst powering up - if all is well you should get ten minutes of messages and then a reboot. Be patient, 1st boot can take a long time.

If during powering up all you get is stuck on a blank pink screen it means you told it to update but it didn't find one, need to check the SD card is not corrupt and the dload folder containing the large update.app file is there.

Some people have had an issue with this ROM to do with turning wifi on/off but only those that used CWM and flashed over other ROMS without erasing properly in between. The above update method over-writes the lot so no one has seen the issue with it done this way.

NOTE If you want to root it you will need a ICS unlocker now not one for the previous version!

Only customisation is a Velcom (Belarus' 2nd largest phone operator apparently!) splash screen on a cold boot, has Google apps and Play installed, after that install what you like.

Final note, the above should work even with a virtually bricked phone, useful if your messing about with CWM or Rooting and mess up so it won't boot.

See further post below if problems, including how to go back to stock Vodaphone Android 2.3.
    European for 3 weeks in August, the rest of the year only British and proud.
  • deanos
    deanos Posts: 11,223 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Uniform Washer
    Hmmm says update failed on step 2/2 , what exactly do i need on the SD card ? just the contents from the dl folder ? or the other folder as well thats in the downloaded file
  • sillygoose
    edited 3 October 2012 at 11:03PM
    deanos wrote: »
    Hmmm says update failed on step 2/2 , what exactly do i need on the SD card ? just the contents from the dl folder ? or the other folder as well thats in the downloaded file

Hmm forums back... not sure you need the other folder but it may be an idea, I just extacted the lot to SD I think but my understanding was just dload needed, give it a go.

try pulling the battery for a time and redo it..

Also heard of a couple of people having trouble with some SD cards, worked when they used a different one.

Also to add... its possible that the update doesn't like going over a phone already on a ICS version. SEE HERE for file to get get back to original stock vodaphone 2.3. and then try the ICS from there.

Also been suggested that turning off fastboot in settings before flashing may help.
  • Rusty!
    Rusty! Posts: 2,076 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Roger1 wrote: »
    Has anybody tried and can advise:
    • can a route be stored and accessed afterwards?
    • can a route from a distant point to back home be calculated?
    • can a trip starting and ending abroad be calculated?
    I've tried checking the online manual but can't find an answer. Grateful for any advice on this.
    1. Yes, if you plot your route on wifi, it caches what's needed for the journey, or you can store sections of the map for offline usage.
    2. Yes, but it's a little fiddly at the moment. You can't add extra destinations on the phone, but you can on your browser, so you plot your journey on the browser and use Chrome to Phone to send the route to your phone.
    3. Depends on the location, Google Navigation isn't available in all countries yet.
  • Gosh, we could do with a new thread really couldn't we? The G300 - it's upgrading and myriad of uses!
  • Silk
    Silk Posts: 4,836 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Roger1 wrote: »
    I have a question about Navigation. I just navigated (notionally, from my chair) to a family address in Kent and to another address in Switzerland and got turn-by-turn directions with and without voice. Fantastic!

It occurs to me that this feature could be an OK substitute for a SatNav. The problem as I see it would be heavy data use, OK with wifi but expensive if roaming. Has anybody tried and can advise:
    I use the Navfree app on androids, it doesn't need data connection as it works pretty well just off the GPS and also has the maps for Switzerland free .
    It's handy for abroad as you can also set it to walking mode as well as car mode for finding your way round cities etc
    It's not just about the money
  • Roger1
    Roger1 Posts: 1,603 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Thanks, Rusty!
    Rusty! wrote: »
    ... Depends on the location, Google Navigation isn't available in all countries yet.
    I'm impressed that South Africa looks possible for our trip next year.
    Silk wrote: »
    I use the Navfree app on androids ...
    Searched, located, downloaded, installed. Thanks!
  • sillygoose
    Keeping an eye for Deanos to hear if he got it working...
  • I've got the phone, I've got the Virgin sim, I've got it unlocked. Can make and receive calls. Can't get it to connect to the internet!
  • I've got the phone, I've got the Virgin sim, I've got it unlocked. Can make and receive calls. Can't get it to connect to the internet!

Here you go

http://www.virginmobile.com/vm/vm/setup3gAndGprs.do?contentId=setting.up.3g.gprs.howdoi.sm101
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure