We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

Daydream fund challenge part 4

Options

Comments

• alfie_1
    alfie_1 Posts: 5,837 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    sorry about the hahahahaha but I blame the local plonk :o
  • choille
    choille Posts: 9,710 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Marrakesh? You lucky,lucky pup.

Goodness you will feel cold now you are back.

Was it wonderful? How I wish I was in Marrakesh.....
  • alfie_1
    alfie_1 Posts: 5,837 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    choille wrote: »
    Marrakesh? You lucky,lucky pup.

Goodness you will feel cold now you are back.

Was it wonderful? How I wish I was in Marrakesh.....

that's what the garden furniture set I was GIVEN paid for ;)
  • phoebe1989seb
    phoebe1989seb Posts: 4,452 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Alfie, so lovely to have you back safely - and by the sound of it, completely revitalised by your trip :D Sounds as though you had a wonderful time.....it's somewhere me and DS (although DH is not as keen) have always wanted to visit and hopefully will finally get to do so before too long, although at the moment holidays are not too high on our spending list, priority-wise.

Egypt was another place on my wish list and when we finally got there in 2005 I wasn't disappointed....would love to go back there too :D

LIR, I agree with Choille that there are some amazing limewash colours.....a guy on another forum I post on had his grade 2 Georgian house (ashlar blocks) done in a wonderful coppery colour that showed subtle variations resembling natural stone ;) I'd love to do something similar here, but really need to be going for a more Arts & Crafts appropriate shade.....
    Mortgage-free for fourteen years!

Over £40,000 mis-sold PPI reclaimed
  • choille
    choille Posts: 9,710 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    alfie_1 wrote: »
    that's what the garden furniture set I was GIVEN paid for ;)

Bet it didn't come out of B&Q?
  • phoebe1989seb
    phoebe1989seb Posts: 4,452 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    edited 4 June 2015 at 12:02AM
    Options
    It's incredible when you think the colours things might have been painted once. Things like cathedrals in gaudy brightest colours available.

We have an odd sense of appropriate IMO. Paint is easily redone, its not like structure or old building materials. Right type of paint might be more important.....

That said...there was a house with royal purple boards....cannot think of the name, the boards behind gutters, s....., anyway, I wanted to punch the people that painted that. Not least though, because it clashed so badly with their red clay tiles on the exterior and roof.

A house in a village near by has gone quite a bold Tuscan sort of orangey yellow and I have to admit I'm feeling quite inspired. Theirs is timbered, and it looks warm and snug against the natural coloured timber. I know we want yellow....I just cannot decide which. Not lemon, something warmer, bolder, but not the colour of mustard, custard or wet sand on a dull day. Something sort of honey ish sounds nice but looks insipid when I try, so it has to be golder, yellower...more like pollen.

My idea of hell is living somewhere with a restricted colour for front door etc. I was told black for guttering etc, and put in request for grey.....partly because that's what I wanted, but also I think because I felt .......strangled. :( stupid I know.

The original colour of our early 1900s roughcast is/was grey, so I guess there's a chance the local authority might want us to replicate that. In some parts of the building this is still original and had never been painted over., whereas some has been repaired/replaced and the colour is not quite the same, hence it looking dirty/patchy. I actually quite like the original shade - although grey/greige isn't usually a colour I'd choose - as it does reflect the period.....

I think we'll most likely go with a cream - although this sounds rather unexciting - but an historic shade not a boring *magnolia* type :p Within our conservation area there are a few houses of townscape merit (ours being one) and these are mostly white/offwhite, which I want to avoid at all costs!

Fortunately our front door is not visible by passersby - we have an old gate built into the house wall that is our entrance from the lane - and we can paint that elevation (and therefore the majority of our windows and doors) any colour we like :D

If you can find the right yellow that will look lovely LIR!
    Mortgage-free for fourteen years!

Over £40,000 mis-sold PPI reclaimed
  • Fay
    Fay Posts: 1,031 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    alfie_1 wrote: »
    sorry about the hahahahaha but I blame the local plonk :o
    But you were home when you posted it ;) he he I'm glad you had a good time. Sounds fab.

FK I would always pick little green over FB paint. It goes on like a dream. I painted my bedroom French grey by little green recently. It's a stunning colour, subtle but bold enough, calming, cooling but in no way on the cool side of a grey. So hard to describe it. But I am utterly in love with it! If I could post pics I would put one up. I must sort photobucket out.
  • lostinrates
    lostinrates Posts: 55,283 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    edited 4 June 2015 at 7:42AM
    Options
    Our bathroom is two shades of little greene French grey ( and white) the ceiling is grey and the tiles are 'textured' so the whole room looks like a play of light.

I really love some of the little greene colours. But.....they still don't get quite that soft depth of fandb. On the other hand, we found for exterior metal work ( that grey again) bog standard metal paint gave far better finish than fandb, At a fraction of the price and exactly the same shade.:)

My 'kitchen' is a little greene colour and its perfect colour wise, absolutely perfect. I'm still thinking I might paint the chimney breast too, but I have time to do that in the future and have it make a big freshening up difference.
  • Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options

First of the giant oriental poppies opened this morning too.....lovely :D

{{{Hugs}}} Choille, do hope your situation - weather and otherwise - improves very soon x

Same for us on the poppies 'Beauty of Livermere' here. :D

Yes, I hope it all begins to improve for you now, choille. It's true, we have been dry down south, while you folks up north have had atrocious weather. :(

There must be somewhere in the middle that had 'normal.' :)

Mr Rod is due any minute....Still so much plastering to do!
  • Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Alfie, you look very chilled-out in the pic!:D;):cool:

Glad you had a great time, despite the hotel being a bit Fawlty Towers....or maybe partly because it was. :)
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback