I’m taking control of my life, now.

Comments

• motivated
    motivated Posts: 3,044 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post PPI Party Pooper
    boxofpaws wrote: »
    I need to be inventive to get the entertainment budget a bit further.

My council tax is going up by £9 a month. :cool:

My council tax has gone up by £6 a month too :mad:
    Very annoying
    M
    Emptying my lake with a teaspoon
  • boxofpaws
    boxofpaws Posts: 753 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Good things:j
    • Had two nights away with work and one night was an business evening event, that was absolutely amazing. It didn't feel like work at all, I had so much fun
    • Cashback earned on my hotel stay
    • we were supposed to go away for the weekend with friends this weekend, but to save costs we just had a takeaway on Friday night, then yesterday we had drinks in town (I drove to save us bus fair), then back to the house of the friends we were meant to be going away with who cooked instead. When we said we were a bit too skint for the weekend away, they were really relieved because they were skint too. So we spent £75 instead of £200
    • I am trying the meerkat movie thing. I bought 1 days travel insurance for £2.41 which gives me 2 for 1 on Tuesday or Wednesdays for a year. Have booked to go to see Get Out on Wednesday.
    • My parents in law had a friend who died last year who may have gifted them some money. My MIL basically cared for her in the last 10 years of her life, this lady even moved into the house opposite my in laws so that they could be nearer. When she died last year, we thought that my MIL hadn't been remembered at all, and I felt really sad for her. Anyway, it turns out she left her a cheque but the daughters don't know about it. There is no guarantee that this cheque will clear if it hasn't been done through the will, but the very fact that she did remember my MIL is the thing that matters. That she had made a gesture.
    • If the above cheque does clear, my MIL has given us £1000. She has written us a cheque but asked us not to cash it until she says so.

Bad things
    • The Friday night Indian takeaway was £30. It was good but not worth that kind of money. We haven't had a takeaway for ages, and it did feel like a waste.
    Debt Jan 2017 = £42k
    May 2022 = £15k
  • I like Armchair Expert's suggested categories but I just look critically at each entry to work out how to reduce it a bit. The only thing I can't reduce is Council Tax so far...

Yep, it's also absolutely possible to reduce most of the things you think of as fixed costs...but usually that reduction is limited. Once you've shopped around for the best insurance deal, switched energy providers and haggled with your phone company, that's done - at least in the short term. Whereas I put (eg) groceries in Cat 2 because if you have a really, really tight month you can live off value beans and HM bread and bendy vegetables for a while!
    MFW diary here. 1 Feb 2017 $229,371 - MFD Feb 2043 :eek: aiming for May 2028
    14 August 2017 - Refinanced: $220,000
    January 2019 $211,580 Current MFD 31 June 2036
  • Lovely that your in laws were remembered after all - I hope the cheque clears.
    Trying to figure out a whole new life. Trying to figure out a whole new budget.
    Divorcing, unclear on final debt total right now, but focusing on building a financial buffer zone.
  • EssexHebridean
    EssexHebridean Posts: 21,371 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Council tax increase here but I can't remember how much exactly - bet it's a similar sort of amount to the rest of you though. On the flip side though our garage rental has gone down by £4 a month. :T

That thing about your weekend away that wasn't make me smile Paws - goes to show doesn't it - that it's NOT just you struggling for cash no matter how much it sometimes feels like it - and you never really know how other people's live shape up in comparison. we have an awful tendancy to assume that other people are better off than we are purely based on appearances - but what you can't tell of course is what's going on in the background - whether the "things" you're basing a judgement on are bought (as we usually assume) or whether there's a credit card or loan taking the strain... Glad you had a fabulous time!
    🎉 MORTGAGE FREE (First time!) 30/09/2016 🎉 And now we go again…New mortgage taken 01/09/23 🏡
    Balance as at 01/09/23 = £115,000.00
    Balance as at 31/12/23 = £112,000.00
    SOA CALCULATOR (for DFW newbies): SOA Calculator
    she/her
  • boxofpaws
    edited 22 March 2017 at 12:01AM
    Yep, it's also absolutely possible to reduce most of the things you think of as fixed costs...but usually that reduction is limited. Once you've shopped around for the best insurance deal, switched energy providers and haggled with your phone company, that's done - at least in the short term. Whereas I put (eg) groceries in Cat 2 because if you have a really, really tight month you can live off value beans and HM bread and bendy vegetables for a while!

Fixed costs and variable costs. I think I've done what I can with the fixed costs. I now have the current spends for variable costs. Next steps is to reduce them. I reviewed it all again last night

Variable costs
    Budget £672
    Average £749 (not too bad, should be able to shave £77 off that, shouldn't we?)
    Actual in the last calendar month £950 :eek:
    Lovely that your in laws were remembered after all - I hope the cheque clears.

Thank you, me too :)
    Council tax increase here but I can't remember how much exactly - bet it's a similar sort of amount to the rest of you though. On the flip side though our garage rental has gone down by £4 a month. :T

That thing about your weekend away that wasn't make me smile Paws - goes to show doesn't it - that it's NOT just you struggling for cash no matter how much it sometimes feels like it - and you never really know how other people's live shape up in comparison. we have an awful tendancy to assume that other people are better off than we are purely based on appearances - but what you can't tell of course is what's going on in the background - whether the "things" you're basing a judgement on are bought (as we usually assume) or whether there's a credit card or loan taking the strain... Glad you had a fabulous time!

Not one person has argued with the 'we're cutting back' comments, people have so far siezed the opportunity to save some cash by doing something cheap with us.

We are good fun though :p
    Debt Jan 2017 = £42k
    May 2022 = £15k
  • Bobarella
    Bobarella Posts: 10,824 Forumite
    Savvy Shopper! I've been Money Tipped!
    Glad you had a nice weekend. And also that your MIL was given the cheque. I'm sure she didn't do what she did for money but it is always nice to feel appreciated.
    " Your vibe attracts your tribe":D

Debt neutral :) 27/03/17 from £40k:eek: in the hole 2012.
    Roadkill 17 £56.58 2016-£62.28 2015- £84.20)
    RYSAW17 £1900 2016 £2,535.16 2015 £1027.20
  • EssexHebridean
    EssexHebridean Posts: 21,371 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    I'm honestly not surprised that you've not encountered anyone being odd about the cutting back thing - I think so many people feel a huge pressure to keep up - having someone say "You know what, we're jumping off this treadmill for a bit - you can join us or we'll see you on the other side" just gives them such a great chance to say "Great - we'll join you!"
    🎉 MORTGAGE FREE (First time!) 30/09/2016 🎉 And now we go again…New mortgage taken 01/09/23 🏡
    Balance as at 01/09/23 = £115,000.00
    Balance as at 31/12/23 = £112,000.00
    SOA CALCULATOR (for DFW newbies): SOA Calculator
    she/her
  • I am terrible about agreeing to go for a coffee instead of suggesting a walk, or meeting up with the kids at the local (most expensive in the universe) soft play. It doesn't even occur to me to suggest an alternative, I must give it a try. Thanks for the inspiration :)
    Trying to figure out a whole new life. Trying to figure out a whole new budget.
    Divorcing, unclear on final debt total right now, but focusing on building a financial buffer zone.
  • boxofpaws
    Bobarella wrote: »
    Glad you had a nice weekend. And also that your MIL was given the cheque. I'm sure she didn't do what she did for money but it is always nice to feel appreciated.

Exactly :)
    I'm honestly not surprised that you've not encountered anyone being odd about the cutting back thing - I think so many people feel a huge pressure to keep up - having someone say "You know what, we're jumping off this treadmill for a bit - you can join us or we'll see you on the other side" just gives them such a great chance to say "Great - we'll join you!"

We're setting a trend with our friends. Turns out, everyone loves a bit if thrift!
    I am terrible about agreeing to go for a coffee instead of suggesting a walk, or meeting up with the kids at the local (most expensive in the universe) soft play. It doesn't even occur to me to suggest an alternative, I must give it a try. Thanks for the inspiration :)

Sometimes you can't beat going for a coffee :D
    Debt Jan 2017 = £42k
    May 2022 = £15k
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family