MSE News: Sky takes over O2 and Be broadband: What does this mean for customers?

Options

Comments

• Stompa
    Stompa Posts: 8,348 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Personally I'd push for the £75 Master card too, you never know unless you ask.

Yes, I was planning on giving them a call to see if they could offer any extras! Though given my past experience I'm not overly optimistic.
    Stompa
  • spenderdave
    spenderdave Posts: 673 Forumite
    Options
    Recently renewed my BT LRS so can't really take up their free broadband offer.... The offer was a bit confusing as nowhere did it say if I accepted it my landline would be moved over, only implied when you read the terms and conditions.

I am sticking with BT for phone anyway, Sky is identical line rental and since they don't do LRS definitely more expensive. With Ofcom now talking about telling BT to reduce their landline rental by £5 for non-broadband customers this will be most definitely cheaper even taking Sky's broadband increase.

And yes, they refused to budge on the phone when I asked them to remove the supplements for not having phone or TV.
  • Stompa
    Options
    The offer was a bit confusing as nowhere did it say if I accepted it my landline would be moved over, only implied when you read the terms and conditions.

I agree, I found that rather odd too.
    Stompa
  • spud17
    spud17 Posts: 4,394 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Stompa wrote: »
    I also have landline with BT and BB with Sky, and despite calling them several times they've refused to offer me any sort of deal. However, today I received an email from them, offering Sky Broadband Unlimited free for a year if I switch my landline to them, so (currently) £18.99pm.

So essentially this:

http://www.sky.com/shop/broadband-talk/broadband-unlimited/

but without the £75 pre-paid mastercard.

I'm quite tempted, better the devil you know etc....
    Recently renewed my BT LRS so can't really take up their free broadband offer.... The offer was a bit confusing as nowhere did it say if I accepted it my landline would be moved over, only implied when you read the terms and conditions.

I am sticking with BT for phone anyway, Sky is identical line rental and since they don't do LRS definitely more expensive. With Ofcom now talking about telling BT to reduce their landline rental by £5 for non-broadband customers this will be most definitely cheaper even taking Sky's broadband increase.

And yes, they refused to budge on the phone when I asked them to remove the supplements for not having phone or TV.

A couple of user names I recognise. :)
    I can live with adsl at 6Mbps, I can't recall any loss of service in all the time I've been with them, although in my case slightly slower than O2.
    spenderdave, a very good point about BT line rental and one I'd overlooked.
    More thinking required.
    Move along, nothing to see.
  • Stompa
    Options
    spud17 wrote: »
    spenderdave, a very good point about BT line rental and one I'd overlooked.

Me too. Ofcom seem to be suggesting a cut of £5-£7 in BT line rental, reducing it to £12-£14. With a 10% LRS discount this would be £10.80-£12.60.

Given that currently there are various combined line rental & unlimited broadband deals in the range £18-£20, I'm not sure there's much to be saved. You'd need to find a pretty cheap unlimited broadband only deal, and I'm not sure there are many of those out there. For me, Sky won't reduce it below £15.
    Stompa
  • teddysmum
    teddysmum Posts: 9,471 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Sky used to charge £15 with no other service, giving £5 off if you had their line and another £2.50 if you had tv.

They now say you don't need to have tv, but they have removed the tv discount (to the disadvantage of those with tv), making two prices;£10 with line or £15 without (though the latter will only be for existing customers, as they no longer offer standalone).
  • spud17
    spud17 Posts: 4,394 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Just putting up the result of my pleasant conversation this afternoon.

Tried 03300413979 from further up thread, robot said very busy and a long wait.
    Called number on bottom of end of deal notification email, 03448 244 450, spoke to robot and was talking to CS within a minute.
    I'm currently paying £7.50/mth, I will lose my £5/mth discount and also the price will rise by £2.50, so I shall be paying £15/mth.
    If I move phone over to Sky I can have unlimited adsl for £24/mth all in.
    I asked about unlimited fibre, £30/mth all in.
    Both deals are "Pay as you call" i.e. no call package at all. Packages start at £3/mth.
    Figures are to nearest £ for simplicity.
    I said that I was considering the Virgin deal at £25/mth +£14.99.
    I was immediately offered a £30 credit.

I need to do some more number crunching bearing in mind any cashback.
    Move along, nothing to see.
  • Stompa
    Options

FWIW I've just spoken to Sky about this, who seemed equally puzzled. They suggested I click on the button to accept the offer and see what happens, and that it would either not work, or give me free broadband for a year. So far it looks like I've got free broadband, and my landline remains with BT. I need to wait a few days to see if it shows up on my account. It's very bizarre!
    Stompa
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 5,186 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Stompa wrote: »
    FWIW I've just spoken to Sky about this, who seemed equally puzzled. They suggested I click on the button to accept the offer and see what happens, and that it would either not work, or give me free broadband for a year. So far it looks like I've got free broadband, and my landline remains with BT. I need to wait a few days to see if it shows up on my account. It's very bizarre!
    Your account is usually updated immediately.
  • Stompa
    Options
    Your account is usually updated immediately.
    This is what they said on the offer page:

What do I need to do once I've taken this offer?

You don't need to do anything. The offer you have taken will be live on your account within 3 days. Once the offer is processed you will receive a confirmation email and the offer will appear on your account. We'll automatically remove the offer at the end of its specified period.

and they reiterated that verbally when I called them. No sign of a change so far, and no confirmation email received.
    Stompa
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport