The MSE Forum will be undergoing some maintenance this evening. As a result, some users may experience temporary performance issues. Please use the Site Feedback board to report anything major. Thank you for your patience.

Electric key not working - Scottish Power closed - Help!

Is there anything I can do? Went to top up my pre-payment electric meter as it was running low. Machine at the shop wouldnt take the key. Tried to put emergency on and got "error D2". So now I'm faced with no electric with a 5 month old in the house (need kettle to heat up formula at least and heating during the night).

Scottish Power are closed til 8am tomorrow, and even then I doubt we'll last the night. Is there anything I can do? They gave a number for national grid but it seems to be just for gas problems.
"Beautiful young people are accidents of nature, But beautiful old people are works of art."
-- Eleanor Roosevelt

Comments

• anguk
    anguk Posts: 3,412 Forumite
    I couldn't find a number for you to ring (they all seem to be closed in the evenings and Sunday) but I did find this:
    If you use up your Emergency Credit
    Don’t worry! We have arranged a “Friendly Non Disconnect Period” for you. Your meter won’t cut off overnight between each period of 6pm and 9am Monday to Saturday or all day Sunday if there’s credit on it at the start of the period. *This allows you to top up when the shops are open.

So your electricity may stay on until the morning when you can ring them.
    Dum Spiro Spero
  • The problem is to use emergency credit, I need to put the key in.

I can't put the key in because it keeps coming up with an error, so I can't activate the emergency credit.
    "Beautiful young people are accidents of nature, But beautiful old people are works of art."
    -- Eleanor Roosevelt
  • anguk
    anguk Posts: 3,412 Forumite
    The problem is to use emergency credit, I need to put the key in.

I can't put the key in because it keeps coming up with an error, so I can't activate the emergency credit.
    I could be wrong but I don't think it will matter if you can't use the key for the emergency credit, it sounds like the meter is programmed so it will not cut off during the night or on a Sunday.

Of course the only way of knowing this is waiting to see if you still have electricity when your credit runs out, which doesn't really help you. How much credit do you have on your meter now?
    Dum Spiro Spero
  • chanz4
    chanz4 Posts: 10,867
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Xmas Saver!
    Forumite
    Whats your postcode or first 2 digits of your mpan, this can be found on your bill
    Don't put your trust into an Experian score - it is not a number any bank will ever use & it is generally a waste of money to purchase it. They are also selling you insurance you dont need.
  • 55p. Between both myself and OH working FT, I hadn't realised that he hadn't put credit in it for so long. And will need to hope that I get through sharp tomorrow morning, working at 8.30 and takes me 15 mins to drive and another couple of min walk.
    -- Eleanor Roosevelt
  • chanz4
    chanz4 Posts: 10,867
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Xmas Saver!
    Forumite
    if you tell me your area I can give you your local number for no power, by the way you must do this when very low
    Don't put your trust into an Experian score - it is not a number any bank will ever use & it is generally a waste of money to purchase it. They are also selling you insurance you dont need.
  • lemontart
    lemontart Posts: 6,037
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    No national grid do not deal with electricity, when you dial your supplier try staying on the line say and do nothing they may give you a second number or put you through.
    I am responsible me, myself and I alone I am not the keeper others thoughts and words.
  • mazza111
    mazza111 Posts: 6,327 Forumite
    When you call them, you stay on the line for emergencies. They then send you to a local shop with a number, where the key can be matched to your meter, then another trip to shop to top up the meter 2-3 hours later I think. Trying to remember when it happened with my daughter what we had to do.
    4 Stones and 0 pounds or 25.4kg lighter :j
  • Scottish_Power
    Scottish_Power Posts: 1,263 Organisation Representative
    Hi eyelinerprincess

did you manage to get this matter resolved this morning, if you need any further help please email me your details at [EMAIL="onlinecomplaints@scottishpower.com"]onlinecomplaints@scottishpower.com[/EMAIL]

kind regards

Lee-Anne @ scottishpower
    Official Company Representative
    I am the official company representative of Scottish Power. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
  • error d2 is a read/write failure on the chip (basically key is dead) and should be sorted same day really by your supplier...

your supplier should have some office open somewhere in the country for 24/7 emergencies to get you a new key either via pay point/zone or a company visit...
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure