PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

how does part exchange work?

please can someone explain how this works please?

Comments

• pawlala
    pawlala Posts: 1,416 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Typically, schemes work whereby the house you own is valued (usually by two or three independent estate agents) and if you are agreeable to the price offered, the housebuilder buys it off you, which enables you to move into their brand new home immediately (subject to build completion). Each housebuilder may operate their scheme slightly differently, for example most insist it only applies to people who are 'trading-up' – in other words, who are buying a new home costing more than the value of their existing property.

This was popular in the days when house prices were going up all the time .. Now it's a way for developers to shift their new houses without making it look like they had to reduce the price...

They agree a valuation on your old house. You get a new house (and new Mortgage), pay off the old Mortgage and hand over the old house to the developer (who then sells it or keep it 'on their books' until house prices 'recover' ). It can work OK if you have tried and failed to sell at the price they agree .. however more often they will push down the valuation on your old home and artificially inflate the value of the new one.

Most often I would suggest you are better off negotiating a discount on the new house and selling the old yourself.
  • sw67
    sw67 Posts: 82 Forumite
    I looked at this using 3 Builders in my area ( 3 nat builders )

1. There needs to be a 30% difference in value

2. They will make you an offer of about 95% of the ave valuation

3. You will pay full asking for the new house - we were told to sell and come back and they would then have a £15k incentive fund to play with
  • we have just done a part exchange for a new build (contracts exchanged and complete in a few weeks) - we got a good deal

we agreed to sell my house for what wass left on the mortgage (i was one of the daft ones who bought at the peak of the market for a house over valued - this was for 106k and the nearest house on the market on my street has not sold for 92k and been on the market for 6 months)

they had the new buidl on at 210k but we managed to get for around 190k. we have been very lucky!

they will always look at doing a deal esp if they like you, you keep on at them and also if you are honest with them about what you can/cannot afford.
  • dorme
    dorme Posts: 44 Forumite
    so do you get the money from your old property so you can pay off your old mortgage or do they just take the price off the new house? if so, how would you be able to get a new place?!
  • pawlala
    pawlala Posts: 1,416 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    You will get (or not as the case may be) a mortgage for the difference in price between the new and old property (taking into account any existing equity of course).
  • dorme
    dorme Posts: 44 Forumite
    so how would you clear down your old mortgage? add the old amount to the new mortgage, thus reverting the new mortgage to the full new property price in total?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure